[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC nethack 2.3 by ftp, How?

ges@pyr.gatech.EDU (GERALD E. SULLIVAN) (05/05/88)

If I follow the instructions posted by creps@silver,
% ftp
ftp>open simtel20.arpa
ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.games>
ftp> type tenex
ftp>get nhack23a.arc

I get the files on my local machine (Unix of course) but when I upload them
using kermit, they are messed up (arc and pkxarc will not unarc them,
one file is recognized as an arc file with bad checksums, the other
is not recognized). Does anyone know what my promlem is?

Thanks.

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (05/05/88)

In article <5708@pyr.gatech.EDU> ges@pyr.gatech.EDU (GERALD E. SULLIVAN) writes:
>If I follow the instructions posted by creps@silver,
>% ftp
>ftp>open simtel20.arpa
>ftp>cd pd1:<msdos.games>
>ftp> type tenex
>ftp>get nhack23a.arc
>
>I get the files on my local machine (Unix of course) but when I upload them
>using kermit, they are messed up (arc and pkxarc will not unarc them,
>one file is recognized as an arc file with bad checksums, the other
>is not recognized). Does anyone know what my promlem is?

   Did you remember to download them to your PC in binary mode? Everything
else looks right.
   I would wait to get these files. Speaking as the person who put the program
there, it is very buggy. When I tested it before posting, I was able to go
deep into the dungeon without any problems, but that may have been because
I kept leaving my dog behind. Anyway, afterwards I discovered that the bug I
thought I had fixed was still there. I'll try to get a new version there
as soon as the bug is fixed.

Steve Creps, Indiana University, Bloomington, "home of the Hoosiers"
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!creps
	creps@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)
"To dream... the unlintable dream..."