[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS 3.2 XCOPY bug?

matt@frisbee.UUCP (Matt Taylor) (04/26/88)

	Has anyone noticed any bugs in the XCOPY program for MS-DOS Version 3.2?
The symptoms I'm seeing range from complete failure with 'Access denied' to
'Internal Stack Failure: System Halted' later on during the copy.  By
changing the config.sys file and loading any drivers in different ways, I can
get the behavior to change (fails earlier or later).  The number of files
and the size of the files being copied also changes the behavior (maybe a
rogue pointer somewhere? :-) ). No TSR's are loaded up.  I can always get it
to fail with PC-NFS or other device drivers such as a WORM or hard disk.

[ Using the Periscope debugger with PC-NFS shows XCOPY not creating the
subdirectories during a recursive copy.  When it tries to create the file in
the nonexistent directory, it fails with 'Access denied' errors. ]  The
typical invocation is 'xcopy e:\ h:\ /s'.

The PC-DOS XCOPY and homebrew XCOPY programs work fine with all of the above
drivers.  Since I never use MS-DOS (we use PC-DOS here), I have no idea if
Microsoft has said anything about this or not.  Do they have a technical
number or uucp address to report problems like this?  Do they care if people
report problems like this (ie. do they do something about it)?

--
Matt Taylor @ Maximum Storage, Inc.
Colorado Springs, CO.  303-531-6888

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (05/06/88)

In article <158@frisbee.UUCP> matt@frisbee.UUCP (Matt Taylor) writes:

>	Has anyone noticed any bugs in the XCOPY program for MS-DOS Version 3.2?

Yes.

>The symptoms I'm seeing range from complete failure with 'Access denied' to
>'Internal Stack Failure: System Halted' later on during the copy.  By

My problems frequently include BIG RED SWITCH.

>changing the config.sys file and loading any drivers in different ways, I can
>get the behavior to change (fails earlier or later).  The number of files
>The PC-DOS XCOPY and homebrew XCOPY programs work fine with all of the above
>drivers.  Since I never use MS-DOS (we use PC-DOS here), I have no idea if

PCDOS XCOPY also has the problem, it just apparently doesn't exhibit the
problem in your particular memory configuration. Note that you even mentioned
the problem depends on memory configuration in your article. There is a patch
for the PCDOS version of XCOPY, which I have applied to my personal machine,
which was having serious problems on Novelle Netware. I do not know how you
would go about getting the equivalent for MSDOS, although the PCDOS version
should work fine under MSDOS, if you are not having any troubles with the
PCDOS version in your application.

>Microsoft has said anything about this or not.  Do they have a technical
>number or uucp address to report problems like this?  Do they care if people
>report problems like this (ie. do they do something about it)?

Probably not. I could tell you some stories about my experiences with MS
tech support, but I won't. (That's not a bug. That's a feature!)

>Matt Taylor @ Maximum Storage, Inc.
>Colorado Springs, CO.  303-531-6888
>{cbosgd,handel,hao,hplabs}!hp-lsd!frisbee!matt

--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del