[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted: Info on Amdek 1280 monitor+card

winter@hpldola.HP.COM (Kirt Winter) (05/05/88)

I am thinking of adding a hi-res video card to my system.

Does anybody out there have any experience with the Amdek 1280/ Wyse 700
1280x800 res board+monitor setup?  In particular, I'd like to put it in a
Zenith Z-248 machine and use it with Windows 2.03.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirt

 Kirt Alan Winter                                        winter@hpldola.hp.com
 Hewlett Packard - EDD                                   (719) 590-5974
 Colorado Springs, Colorado
 If anyone but me wants to claim my ideas, they are more than welcome to.

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (05/06/88)

In article <11250023@hpldola.HP.COM> winter@hpldola.HP.COM (Kirt Winter) writes:
>I am thinking of adding a hi-res video card to my system.
>
>Does anybody out there have any experience with the Amdek 1280/ Wyse 700
>1280x800 res board+monitor setup?  In particular, I'd like to put it in a
>Zenith Z-248 machine and use it with Windows 2.03.

Make sure there is a Windows 2.XX driver for this card.  A friend of mine
got his some 6 months ago, and it came with a driver for Windows 1.0
( I understand it is not compatible with version 2.0).  Programs like Autocad
and Ventura support the graphics card directly with very impressive results.
He got from a third party a TeX previewer that looks great.

On the downside, the card (at least the version sold 6 months ago) does not
emulate EGA or Hercules.  If the graphics program you want to use doesn't
support the Amdek board, you are stuck with CGA.  There are drivers available
for quite a few of the popular MS-DOS programs.