[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Increasing DOS 3.3 path variable len

loschner@un21 (05/06/88)

> Subject: Increasing DOS 3.3 path variable length?
>
> I've been wondering if it's possible to make my path string larger than
> the DOS V3.3 default of 128 bytes.  Does anyone have any tricks that
> will allow this?  I'm willing to patch my command.com in codeview or
> debug if necessary.

What's exactly your problem?

1. Of course you may define a PATH string which is longer than
   128 bytes - that's no problem.

2. But - first of all you must enlarge the area reserved for
   environment variables (i.e. all SET parameters). This is
   done in the following way (nevertheless: read the manuals):

You should modify your CONFIG.SYS like this (as an
example, you see here my own configuration file):

   SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P /E:256
   LASTDRIVE=D
   DEVICE=C:\SYS\VDISK.SYS 88 512 32
   DEVICE=C:\SYS\ANSI.SYS
   COUNTRY=049
   BUFFERS=25
   FILES=30

The parameter "/E:256" of the SHELL parameter will enlarge
the area reserved for environment variables up to 256 bytes.

By the way, this function was already introduced by DOS 3.2.

As the last few instructions of my AUTOEXEC.BAT i activate
quite a lot of SET parameters. They all fit into the enlarged
area and it works fine.

J. Loeschner

BITNET:    loeschner.pad@nixpbe.UUCP

UUCP:      ...!{uunet!cernvax|diku}!unido!nixpbe!loeschner.pad
	   ...!{enea|mcvax|inria|ukc}!unido!nixpbe!loeschner.pad

VMS-Mail:  PSI%2624552519304::VMS4::LOSCHNER

Phone:     nat-5251-10-5791