[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Distribution of shareware for profit without permission

wilk@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Michael Wilk) (04/27/88)

The "Public (software) Library" is a company that distributes shareware and
public domain software for only a few dollars per disk.  In their latest
catalog I saw my shareware program listed, but they never contacted me for
my permission to do so.  Their description of my program was inadequate,
written by someone who knew little about it.

While I encourage the distribution of the program I feel a little resentful,
especially because their catalog assures one that the programs are included
only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
screen.

(I'll add that The PC Arcade did contact me before including the program,
asked me if I would like to write the description, and even offered to send
me a disk of my choice from their catalog!  Bravo!)

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (04/29/88)

In article <16428@cornell.UUCP> wilk@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Michael Wilk) writes:

 >The "Public (software) Library" is a company that distributes shareware and
 >public domain software for only a few dollars per disk.  In their latest
 >catalog I saw my shareware program listed, but they never contacted me for
 >my permission to do so.  Their description of my program was inadequate,
 >written by someone who knew little about it.
 >While I encourage the distribution of the program I feel a little resentful,
 >especially because their catalog assures one that the programs are included
 >only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
 >did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
 >screen.

If they only charge a few dollars per disk, they could well argue that they
charge strictly for copying and the cost of the disk, not your program; thus
they are not distributing your program or any other program for profit.

If you designate your program as "Shareware", it probably has a notice in it
somewhere encouraging people to pass on copies -- otherwise the shareware idea
does not work. This constitutes permission for anyone to distribute it.
Unless you have a specific disclaimer prohibiting distribution by companies
or clubs you can probably not prevent groups like this from distributing it.
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (04/29/88)

> ... their catalog assures one that the programs are included
> only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
> did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
> screen.

  What exactly does your copyright notice say?  Is your program widely
  available on BBSs?

Ken Mintz

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/29/88)

> The "Public (software) Library" is a company that distributes shareware and
> public domain software for only a few dollars per disk.  In their latest
> catalog I saw my shareware program listed, but they never contacted me for
> my permission to do so.  Their description of my program was inadequate,
> written by someone who knew little about it.
>
> While I encourage the distribution of the program I feel a little resentful,
> especially because their catalog assures one that the programs are included
> only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
> did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
> screen.
>
> (I'll add that The PC Arcade did contact me before including the program,
> asked me if I would like to write the description, and even offered to send
> me a disk of my choice from their catalog!  Bravo!)

I would be curious to hear how you go about forcing a company to pay
royalties on programs.  We have a contract, I've talked to the president
of Software Express on the phone, and he's told me that they owe me
several hundred dollars in royalties, but now he doesn't return my
calls, I've received no check, and my letters are being unanswered.

Clayton E. Cramer

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/30/88)

In article <16428@cornell.UUCP>, wilk@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Michael Wilk) writes:

> The "Public (software) Library" is a company that distributes shareware and
> public domain software for only a few dollars per disk.  In their latest
> catalog I saw my shareware program listed, but they never contacted me for
> my permission to do so.  Their description of my program was inadequate,
> written by someone who knew little about it.
>
> While I encourage the distribution of the program I feel a little resentful,
> especially because their catalog assures one that the programs are included
> only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
> did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
> screen.

Years ago our Color Computer Users Group was contacted by a gentleman from
NY requesting to join our club to obtain copies of our library... most of
which were my own utilties!  Three months after sending the disks an ad
appeared in several Coco specific magazines advertising their new Coco
library... I ordered a set to find they were MY OWN DISKS complete with
my clubs logo and menu program...  I then called the company and asked to
speak to the same gentleman and found out he was their president...

At the time I requested that they refrain from selling our disks and I
have also asked them on at least 3 occasions at Denver computer shows
to refrain from selling our disks and my software and they refuse!

I am still highly purturbed that they used deception to buy a library from
us at $2.00 a disk and then sell the same disks for $8!!!  They have even
had the nerve to come to Computer shows in Denver and sell our disks!!!

    Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
            {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
                              or
 SYSOP @ M.O.M. AI BBS - (303) 273-3989 - 300/1200/2400 8-N-1 24 hrs.

       *** UNIX is a philosophy, not an operating system ***
 *** BUT it is a registered trademark of AT&T, so get off my back ***

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (04/30/88)

> I would be curious to hear how you go about forcing a company to pay
> royalties on programs.  We have a contract, I've talked to the president
> of Software Express on the phone, and he's told me that they owe me
> several hundred dollars in royalties, but now he doesn't return my
> calls, I've received no check, and my letters are being unanswered.

  The short answer is:  file a small claims action or contact a lawyer.
  Sometimes just a letter from an attorney puts the fear of God into people.

  But that's not a guarantee.  Even if you win your suit, that only results
  in the court ("mother") ordering the defendant to pay.  If they fail to
  comply, you have to petition the court for a lien -- which the court might
  deny.  But that would only result in a bench warrant.  Then you have to
  inveigle the sherrif's office to execute the warrant -- sometimes they're
  too busy catching criminals.  And the lien only freezes assets until the
  company finally does pay or a time period elapses, at which point you have
  to ask the sherrif's office (again) to auction the assets or get the bank
  to turn over the funds.

  Quite a hassle:  it's a "business decision" to determine whether or not
  it's worth the risk of spending all this time/money for no gain.  Really,
  you have to hope that a threatening letter from a lawyer will do the trick.

  Caveat:  don't let this situation drag on too long.  If the company is
  evasive and they have no overt dispute, you might suspect that the company
  is having financial difficulties.  (I know nothing about SW Express.)  If
  that's the case, there will be other creditors competing for payment.

Ken Mintz

cbunjiov@deimos.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (05/01/88)

In article <16428@cornell.UUCP> wilk@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Michael Wilk) writes:
->
->The "Public (software) Library" is a company that distributes shareware and
->public domain software for only a few dollars per disk.  In their latest
->catalog I saw my shareware program listed, but they never contacted me for
->my permission to do so.  Their description of my program was inadequate,
->written by someone who knew little about it.
->While I encourage the distribution of the program I feel a little resentful,
->especially because their catalog assures one that the programs are included
->only with the authors' permission.  Does anyone know if what the company
->did is legal?  My program has the correct copyright notice on the opening
->screen.

I don't know if it's legal or not.  I do know that in distributing the
free EGA shareware I offered on the net recently, I'm incurring costs
close to what we're talking about here: .75 for disk mailers from
Fry's, .25 for the disk, .50 for postage, so we're up to $1.50 already
without even considering the cost of using my computer to make copies.
Some requesting disks have graciously offered to reimburse me; the
other costs I'll absorb.

But I couldn't possibly run a business this way. If they're charging
"a few dollars per disk", the profit on your program could only be
pennies, at most.  How much of a contribution are you asking for in
your shareware copyright notice?  If they make a couple of cents off
each distribution of your program and 1 out of 10 customers send you
the shareware contribution, aren't you better off?

If their program description is inadequate, I'd provide them with a
better one.  What have you got to lose?

/* Charleen Bunjiovianna       | "To boldly go where angels fear to tread"  */
/* Advanced Decision Systems   |                                            */
/* Mountain View, California   | WORK HARDER...millions on welfare are      */
/*                             | counting on you.                           */

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/01/88)

I think these places like PC-Sig and similars do provide value for the money
they are paid.   If you meant for your software to be freely distributed,
and you want the best distribution, you will have to put up with them
making a buck.

They catalog the stuff, have people around to answer basic questions,
publish books and magazines and allow easy ordering.

Recently I wanted a variety of spreadsheet templates.  I just called these
places and had them send me up the disks they had.  It cost money, but less
than it would have to go to BBSs and clubs and track these things down.

In fact, if more people on the net called up these services for programs,
at anywhere from $3 to $6 per disk, it would be a lot cheaper than posting
some stuff to the net.  PSPICE is a good example.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford) (05/03/88)

      The discussion so far has intrigued me.  I am interested in

Suppose I am a consultant to small businesses who wish to use small
computers in their businesses.  Now I want to make a profit from
this.  I also want to do these people an honest service.  The people
who come to me have no machine, usually, and really don't know where
to start.  I could tell them to pick up a Computer Shopper and spend
two weeks digesting it but these people are not the "computer
literates" who post endlessly to this newsgroup.

Instead I listen to them and try to suggest solutions to their
problems (at a profit to me).  Lets say their problems require a
spreadsheet.  There is Lotus 123.  This is excellent software at
~$200.00 a registered copy.  A very good deal, too.  If their problem
does not require the full power of 123 perhaps an alternative may
be useful.  Two shareware alternatives come to mind immediately.
Aseasyas and Analyticalc are two very nice shareware spreadsheets.
I believe the author of the former requests $35.00.  The latter is
probably comparably priced.  If I charge $5.00 (or even $8.00) for
the diskette and the client registers the copy of the software, his
cost is ~$150.00 less than 123 and he gets the solution to his problem.
I could tell him to purchase a modem with communication software
(perhaps Procomm or Kermit?) to download whatever he needs.  He can
purchase the magazines or waste a lot of time finding out how to
access the bulletin board which contains the software, he can find
a friend who has the software and will give him a copy or he can
obtain it from some other means.  He need not buy the copy from me.

Now my questions are:

	Why do you feel that it is immoral for me to charge a
	small fee to advertise your product?  If I do not change
	any of the code I am promoting the author's product with
	no assurance that I will be remunerated for my time by
	the author, assuming the program is registered, or that
	the program will be registered by the client, insuring
	that I will not be remunerated.  Why should I take the
	risk for nothing?

Many people who wish to use micro or personal computer do not read
newsgroups like this, do not know where to begin (they say) looking for
the correct hard/software for their needs or more likely do not wish to
sort through all the chaff to find the wheat.  I have given copies of
shareware programs to friends with the hopes that they were helpful
to them.  I carefully explained the concept of shareware and that it
is an alternative marketing form.  If they liked and used the programs
they should register them.  If they did not they should pass them along.

Should I write a program which I can market through shareware I would
not mind someone making a little to get my product into the hands of
the consumer of my product.  If he makes more than I do, maybe I should
try a different marketing technique (or raise my price ((watch the
flames)) ).

floyd@brl.arpa

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/06/88)

Most (not all) shareware authors allow their programs to be distributed
for a reasonable media charge, provided the result is clearly labelled
as shareware which should be registered.  If you have doubts about a
particular program, contact the author.

For example, my shareware comms program ZCOMM is distributed by some of
the "shareware library" organizations.  The ones I am familiar with
have always made clear the shareware status of the program.

Life with DSZ is a bit more complicated because it *has* been ripped off
(copyright violation), pirated, and hacked to pieces.  I even get a few
complaints because of problems caused by hacked copies.  So, I insist
that companies wishing to distribute DSZ with other products get written
permission to do so, and that they agree to distribute DSZ.ARC exactly
as publiched by me, and remind users that the copy of DSZ they receive
this should be registered.  Qmodem is an example of this arrangement.

On the other hand, the last several versions of GT Power sold by P&M
software (Paul Meiners) have ripped off a Copyrighted version of DSZ
without any mention of DSZ being shareware and without paying any
royalties for the use of the Copyrighted material.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

platt@swatsun.uucp (Steve Platt) (05/07/88)

In article <7812@brl-smoke.ARPA>, floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford) writes:

> Suppose I am a consultant to small businesses who wish to use small
> computers in their businesses.  Now I want to make a profit from
> this.  I also want to do these people an honest service.  The people
> who come to me have no machine, usually, and really don't know where
> to start.  I could tell them to pick up a Computer Shopper and spend
> two weeks digesting it but these people are not the "computer
> literates" who post endlessly to this newsgroup.

What I sell is my expertese in producing a bundled, tested package.
That includes:
	a) hardware, whatever it costs
	b) software, whatever it costs, for *registered* versions
	c) my time to assemble, produce documentation, training,
	   etc.

If you think package xxx is the "best for the money" and serves
their needs, it is your responsibility to ensure that your customer
will have manufacturer support, including phone service, upgrade
and bug notification, etc., regardless of the distribution medium.