[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Composite and RGB on single CGA card

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (05/05/88)

I need a way to run two monitors with the same information off of a
single computer, with one monitor about 40 feet away from the
computer.  I'd like to buy a clone to replace the current PS/2,
but the company that does the purchasing says that 30' away from the
computer is too far for the composite output of the CGA card.

Are they just trying to sell me another computer for the profit?  Are
they correct?  More importantly, is anyone doing this now?

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604, CN 5063        that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (05/06/88)

In article <May.4.17.35.26.1988.3747@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>I need a way to run two monitors with the same information off of a
>single computer, with one monitor about 40 feet away from the
>computer.  I'd like to buy a clone to replace the current PS/2,
>but the company that does the purchasing says that 30' away from the
>computer is too far for the composite output of the CGA card.
>
>Are they just trying to sell me another computer for the profit?  Are
>they correct?  More importantly, is anyone doing this now?

Inmac, a distributor of computer supplies, has an extender box for PCs
to color graphics, I think.  My catalog is at home so I don't have any details,
but give them a call.  I don't even have a number for them, sorry.

>Mark

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (05/07/88)

Why not just try it?  I think what will happen is that the
longer the coax cable gets, the worse the picture looks.  So,
to say at what distance it "stops working" will be a very
subjective judgement.

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb