[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Readnews for the PC

jal@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (05/03/88)

I got a version of uucp for the PC working recently and
am now interested in getting a newsfeed.  Has anyone converted
a news reading program (such a rn, vnews, etc) over to the
PC or will I have to work on it myself?

Thanks for the information.

I program ... therefore I am.

John Lefor    	University of Rochester		Dept of E. Engineering
716-275-8265	jal@ee.rochester.edu		...!rochester!ur-valhalla!jal

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (05/05/88)

In article <1280@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> jal@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) writes:
>I got a version of uucp for the PC working recently and
>am now interested in getting a newsfeed.  Has anyone converted
>a news reading program (such a rn, vnews, etc) over to the
>PC or will I have to work on it myself?
Just for the record, a news-reading program by itself won't do much good;
you also need to port the 'rnews' program (or some equivalent) that reads
in the compressed news batches and inserts the separate articles into
the spool directory.  You also need an 'expire' program to get rid of old
news, unless your disk is a lot larger than mine :-).  There's a lot of
stuff to get right.
Hmm..I remember some time back that a "new site" map entry appeared from
someone claiming to be running B News 2.11 under MS-DOS.  Don't know
anything more about it.  Also, there's a news-handling program part
of the UFGATE Fido-Usenet gateway package.  I believe one of the
authors, Tim Pozar, is on the net (pozar@hoptoad).  I don't use the package
myself, but I know people who do.  I don't know whether there is an
independent news-reader as part of the package or whether you have to
read the news after it's been converted to Fido format.  Fido message-
reading software is appallingly primitive in its interface to those
used to rn; also somewhere in the Fido software is an undocumented
#-of-lines limit that may bite you on long messages (esp. source postings).
  If you're considering porting News to the PC, it'll take a lot of work.
I know, I started on a port of C News to MS-DOS before giving up and
going on to other things.  The netnews software is written for a Unix
environment and heavily uses some features (links, pipes, fork) that
require a good deal of effort to work around.  You'll also find that, as
on any large software project on the PC, that a large portion of your
time will be spent tracking down bugs caused by broken compilers.  Maybe
someday we'll have a real C compiler for the PC, but I'm not holding
my breath.
--
Richard Todd		Dubious Domain: rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069 	Fido:1:147/1

root@nccnat.UUCP (Paul Shields) (05/07/88)

>In article <1280@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> jal@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) writes:
>>I got a version of uucp for the PC working recently and
>>am now interested in getting a newsfeed.  Has anyone converted
>>a news reading program (such a rn, vnews, etc) over to the
>>PC or will I have to work on it myself?

Yes. I have. It does rnews, expire, batching and unbatching. The user
interface is readnews.

[...]
>Hmm..I remember some time back that a "new site" map entry appeared from
>someone claiming to be running B News 2.11 under MS-DOS.  Don't know

>anything more about it.

That's me.  It uses the UULINK package by Lauren Weinstein.  I'll have it
ready for beta testing real soon now.  Total size is about 250K worth of
context-diff's from Patch level 8 of Netnews.

The remaining work is in fixing some memory limitations on the PC, massaging
rnews and recmail, and documenting the patches.

[...]
>  If you're considering porting News to the PC, it'll take a lot of work.
>I know, I started on a port of C News to MS-DOS before giving up and
>going on to other things.  The netnews software is written for a Unix
>environment and heavily uses some features (links, pipes, fork) that
>require a good deal of effort to work around.

The patches for the most part serialise the forks and simulate pipes and
links. The hardest one here was rnews, which in its current state has been
cracked and twisted to make it work.

>                                               You'll also find that, as
>on any large software project on the PC, that a large portion of your
>time will be spent tracking down bugs caused by broken compilers.  Maybe
>someday we'll have a real C compiler for the PC, but I'm not holding
>my breath.

I agree.  I use two compilers, Lattice 3.20, and Microsoft 5.0.  There
are problems with both.  Lattice doesn't have complete Unix enough libraries,
and I can't get MSC to open more than 16 files at once (req'd for expire.)
--
Paul Shields, shields@yunccn.UUCP   If you think you have a subconscious,
or yunccn!nccnat!root               you have a software integration problem.

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (05/08/88)

In article <1259@uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
>In article <1280@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> jal@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) writes:
>>I got a version of uucp for the PC working recently and
>>am now interested in getting a newsfeed.  Has anyone converted
>>a news reading program (such a rn, vnews, etc) over to the
>>PC or will I have to work on it myself?
>Just for the record, a news-reading program by itself won't do much good;
>you also need to port the 'rnews' program (or some equivalent) that reads
>in the compressed news batches and inserts the separate articles into
[ ... ]
It's easier than that if you can get your feeding site to go along with it.
There are two alternatives, each illustrated below.  If the site is running
uulink (from Vortex Technology) the first technique will work.  Note that it
does not batch to allow reading on an article basis as opposed to a batch
basis.  The second simply mails the articles to each reader.  The sys file
for each site determines what groups they get and the script below actually
ships the stuff out from time to time.  Note that each batch is sorted by
newsgroup first so that they are at least batched by group.
#
#   Send news to neighbors daily at 0600
#
if test -s /usr/spool/batch/uulinksite
then
	sort /usr/spool/batch/uulinksite > /tmp/uulinksite
	cp /tmp/techsoar /usr/spool/batch/uulinksite
	cat /usr/spool/batch/uulinksite | while read art
	do
		uux - -r -n -gd uulinksite!rnews < $art
	done
	rm -f /usr/spool/batch/uulinksite /tmp/uulinksite
fi
#
#   Mail news to neighbors daily at 0600
#
if test -s /usr/spool/batch/mailsite
then
	sort /usr/spool/batch/mailsite > /tmp/mailsite
	cp /tmp/mailsite /usr/spool/batch/mailsite
	cat /usr/spool/batch/mailsite | while read art
	do
		mail mailsite!user1 mailsite!user2 < $art
	done
	rm -f /usr/spool/batch/mailsite /tmp/mailsite
fi

I suspect that the news administrator feeding you would be more
receptive to this technique if you sent it along with the request
for a feed.  I never said it was elegant, just offered it as an
alternative.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {rutgers,ihnp4!killer,cbosgd}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM