[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How can I shrink Token Ring software a little smaller?

jwg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jeffrey William Gillette) (05/05/88)

[]

    Now that I have a Token Ring network, I would really like to
use the same machine as file server and dial-in database server.
The simple solution is to run the PC LAN program in the
background, Procomm Plus in the foreground, and fork a shell to
the database application as needed.  All of this works, but ...

    The problem is that, by the time the device drivers get
loaded, PC LAN starts up a server, and Procomm Plus takes a chunk
of core, there is not enough space left to run the database
application.  Note that the file server uses no TSR programs (no
Sidekick), just device drivers for its peripherals.

    The Token Ring device drivers appear to take up about 30-40K,
and the PC LAN program (as a server) appears to munch around
160K.  I seem to remember that earlier versions of PC LAN had all
kinds of command line switches to chew up less memory.  The
current version documents about a half-dozen, one or two of which
make a significant difference in RAM used.  I don't really care
about performance on the part of the file server - as long as the
other workstations on the network can ocassionally access the
disk with the database, it does not matter how long the access
takes.

    Anyone have a quick idea on how I can cut the PC LAN server
overhead?  80-100K would be a nice number, but a savings of even
a few K would help.

Peace,

Jeff

Jeffrey William Gillette	uucp:   jwg at duke.edu
Duke University                 bitnet: DYBBUK at TUCCVM

Jeffrey William Gillette	uucp:   jwg at duke.edu
Duke University                 bitnet: DYBBUK at TUCCVM

gof@crash.cts.com (Jerry Fountain) (05/09/88)

In article <11689@duke.cs.duke.edu> jwg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jeffrey William Gillette) writes:
>[]
>    Now that I have a Token Ring network, I would really like to
>use the same machine as file server and dial-in database server.
>The simple solution is to run the PC LAN program in the
>background, Procomm Plus in the foreground, and fork a shell to
>the database application as needed.  All of this works, but ...

If you cannot use a different networking software package (be advised, PC LAN
poor...to say the most!).  Type and kill as much (if not all) the NETBIOS
support.  That will probably not be needed and can free up lots of space.