[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 417K waste of money postings

haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (05/10/88)

In article <1559@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
> Total     33    522398             21%    417156

> This newest version of the PiCnix collection is not currently
> available from any public or private BBS, so you'll see it here
> first!
> --
> Dick

this has become a rather hot topic with me and several others.  when
is the moderator going to take charge of this (comp.binaries.ibm.pc)
and cut the volume on this group?

i actually have several complaints with picnix being distributed on
the net.

first, picnix is a shareware product which the author is going to,
attempt at least, make money from.  as such, this posting
belonged in biz.binaries.whatever.  the source for picnix is
available, therefore if anything were to be distributed it should
be the sources, except that picnix is shareware and the author is greedy.

secondly, we know what picnix is and another version has already
been posted to usenet recently.  i in fact run it on the compaqs here
at work.  why should my upstream feed be expected to transmit that
thing to me if they aren't using it, considering i can pick it up
from my local archive site?

thirdly, the cost of transmitting this product is once again being
borne by the net without their consent, per se.  comp.binaries.ibm.pc
was agreed upon as a moderated group.  for monies to be spent on a
whim by someone not the moderator is unfair and unjust.  for dick
flagan to spend $2,500 of the net's money at the push of a button
is WRONG.

fourthly, the cost of acquiring picnix from a public access site is
minimal.  the transmission costs for this package are approximately
$4.00 at 2400bps, and right at $9.00 for 1200bps (figures based on
connection statistics at rpp386)  neither of those amounts are too
much to expect an individual to pay.

fifth, the posters in comp.binaries.ibm.pc don't seem to have the
connectivity to be providing useful services to the net.  rahul
dhesi, the moderator of c.b.i.p, has provided useful services to the
net, in the form of zoo, and would seem to be a responsible person,
worthy of our trust.  who is dick flagan?  and did anyone notice
that the site which transmitted the code was a uupc site?  are we
really going to let pc-clone users spend all of the net's money and
provide nothing in return?

having presented what i feel to be a rational, and reasonable argument
for installing the moderator, would someone explain why it hasn't been
done and then go do it anyway?  and as an aside, i will be making
picnix available for anonymous uucp AS I DO FOR MANY OTHER PACKAGES.
if you missed a part COME AND GET IT YOURSELF!

- john.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!rpp386!jfh                      jfh@rpp386.uucp :DOMAIN

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune