[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Bad Zero Sector

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (05/05/88)

In article <25870@clyde.ATT.COM>, feg@moss.ATT.COM writes:
> My HD shows a flaky sector where the first hidden file lives
> and although I can get rid of the problem with a low level
> format, the fix is only temporary--it reappears after a few
> weeks.
>
> Attempts to mark the sector bad and then to move the hidden
> files over so that they start at a higher relative sector
> number than the normal number 2 result in a disk which can
> be accessed but will not boot.

I should have called this CLUSTER #2 instead of sector #2.

Excuse the mixup.

Forrest Gehrke

Paul_L_Schauble@cup.portal.com (05/10/88)

Delete the DOS partition and recreate it starting at cylinder 1. This will
leave cylinder 0 empty except for the boot record. The DOS files can then
be in cluster 2 -in the DOS partition- and still be on good disk space.

    Paul