[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problem redirecting to COM1 in DOS 3.3

1dharvey@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Doug Harvey) (04/29/88)

I just received the following message when trying to redirect
output to COM1 (which is connected via null-modem to a Sun
workstation):

  c:\>  echo logon > com1  [enter]

	Write fault error writing device COM1
	Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

I'm using DOS 3.3 on a highly IBM compatible clone.  It doesn't
complain when I issue the same command to COM2, (an internal
modem not connected to anything at the time).  I tried rebooting
but that didn't help...also tried setting the port with MODE but
no luck either.  The DOS manual doesn't list this error message.
I've this before on an IBM PC/AT with no problems at all, using
COM2 (without using the MODE command).

The line is configured (on the Sun, anyway) at 9600 baud, and it
works great when using Crosstalk or Kermit 2.3.

Any help appreciated,

Doug

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (05/02/88)

In a recent article Doug Harvey writes:
>I just received the following message when trying to redirect
>output to COM1 (which is connected via null-modem to a Sun
>workstation):
>
>  c:\>  echo logon > com1  [enter]
>
>	Write fault error writing device COM1
>	Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?
 [...]
>The line is configured (on the Sun, anyway) at 9600 baud, and it
>works great when using Crosstalk or Kermit 2.3.

Check your null modem cable.  I would suspect that it fails to provide
at least one of the DSR, DCD, and CTS leads.  KERMIT will cheerfully
transmit into a dead connector, but it's possible that DOS will not.  I
don't know if CROSSTALK requires that the leads be asserted, but if it's
like most comm programs it will ignore them.

Try strapping the null modem so that DTR (Data Terminal Ready) on each end
drives DSR (Data Set Ready), DCD (Data Carrier Detect, also sometimes called
Received Signal Level Detect or RSLD), and CTS (Clear  to Send) on the other
end of the cable.  In pinouts, that's saying that pin 20 on one end of
the null modem  cable should be connected to pins 5, 6, and 8 on the other
end.

An alternative strapping preferred by some systems (just to confuse matters)
drives each end's CTS from its own RTS lead, and drives each end's DSR and
DCD from the opposite DTR.  Strap 4 and 5 together in each plug, then strap
20 on one end to 6 and 8 on the other.

Good luck.

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (05/06/88)

In article <22210@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> 1dharvey@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Doug Harvey) writes:
>  c:\>  echo logon > com1  [enter]
>
>	Write fault error writing device COM1
>	Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

The PC initializes the COM port to expect full handshake. You can change the
COM port initialization, as mentioned in another article, or you can make
a cable that supplies the appropriate signals. Assuming you only want a 3 wire
connections, and don't want to pay for the extra wires in your cable, make the
following connections at the PC end of the cable:

Connect pins 4&5 together.
Connect pins 5,8 and 20 together.

This will satisfy the UART and allow communications. You didn't have any
trouble with the internal modem because it is, of course, designed to work
with the PC internal BIOS.
--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del