[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Change ESC to ^U in COMMAND.COM line editor

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (05/10/88)

I can't take it any more!  After years of having systems which
used CTRL-U as the line kill character, I simply cannot get used
to using ESC, as the COMMAND.COM line editor wants.

Does anyone have a patch for COMMAND.COM to use ^U instead of ESC?

I presume this would be a one-byte patch -- unless there's some
obnoxious cleverness w/r/t ESC in general in COMMAND.COM.

Help?

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/11/88)

I will post CNTLENBL.ARC to binaries later tonight. This is a routine
which I wrote to solve the problem once and for all. It patches the
image in memory for *all* DOS 2.x and 3.x systems (at least to 3.3).

With all the virus crap going around, I'd rather have a program which
patches memory than anything which touches a system file like
command.com. PLEASE don't post patches, there are versions for PC-DOS,
MS-DOS, the Sperry variant, and all of those for every DOS version. The
program I'm posting works for all of them.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/11/88)

In article <779@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>I can't take it any more!  After years of having systems which
>used CTRL-U as the line kill character, I simply cannot get used
>to using ESC, as the COMMAND.COM line editor wants.

I think this is of general interest so I'll repost this.

In article <307@cognos.UUCP>, brianc@cognos.UUCP (Brian Campbell) writes:
.      In almost every version I used up to and including 3.1, there has
. been a Ctrl-U and Ctrl-W keystroke which is recognized.  [For those of
. you who didn't know of or didn't have these features, Ctrl-U erases the
. entire line (similar to ESC, but on the same line) and Ctrl-W erases
. backward to the last non-alphanumeric character].
.
.The following code fragment is identical in both DOS 3.10 and DOS 3.20 -- it
.is located at offset (using DEBUG) 1DB9 in former and 1E96 in the latter.
.
.   3C 17	CMP	AL,17
.   74 5E	JZ	$+60
.   3C 15	CMP 	AL,15
.   74 51	JZ	$+53

I found that this function is present in DOS 3.3 as well. The offset
is 2119.
--
Make Japan the 51st state!

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

cline@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Humphreys) (05/12/88)

Not only that, it seems every time I go back and forth between DOS and UNIX,
I keep blowing it on the slash/backslash.  It would be neat if there were
a constant defined somewhere in COMMAND.COM to define the path seperator
(i.e. \).  I'd like to change it to the UNIX /...
UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!cline01!benh
ARPA: crash!cline01!benh@nosc.mil
INET: cline@pnet01.CTS.COM

gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton) (05/15/88)

In article <2954@crash.cts.com>, cline@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Humphreys) writes:

> Not only that, it seems every time I go back and forth between DOS and UNIX,
> I keep blowing it on the slash/backslash.  It would be neat if there were
> a constant defined somewhere in COMMAND.COM to define the path seperator
> (i.e. \).  I'd like to change it to the UNIX /...

Ben, there is a Santa Claus.  Sometime back someone ran into the same problem
and invented switchar.c.  This neat little program does exactly what you want
however, there's a gottcha.  Upto DOS3.2 some of the supplied utilities
insist on having their switch character as "/".  Sooo, you have to remember
to switch back to DOS mode.  Since the sources are still likely available
on your local BBS I won't post them here but if a search of BBS archives and
your friends' also fail drop me email.

ger

--
G. Roderick Singleton, gerry@{ suncan | geac | eclectic | syntron }.UUCP
"ALL animals are created equal, BUT some animals are MORE equal than others."