[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need "echo off" patch for DOS 3.3

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/12/88)

Does anyone out there have the patch for COMMAND.COM that makes "echo
off" the default in .BAT files?  ... or is the code in IBMDOS.COM or
IBMBIO.COM? ...  I forget.  Anyway, I once had the patch for an
earlier version of DOS, and I'd like it for my current version:
PCDOS 3.3.

My netmail link is unreliable, so perhaps this could be posted here on
the net ... it's pretty short, if I remember correctly.

Thank you in advance.

--
    Lloyd Zusman
    Master Byte Software

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/14/88)

In article <287@fxgrp.UUCP> ljz@fx.com (Lloyd Zusman) writes:
>Does anyone out there have the patch for COMMAND.COM that makes "echo
>off" the default in .BAT files?  ... or is the code in IBMDOS.COM or

No patch needed.  Just put the character @ in column one and the command
(any command) won't echo.  You can start the .bat file with:
	@echo off

and get the problem solved.  If you want to share the bat files with
obsolete :-) versions, you'll have to dig up a patch, I don;t have it.
Besides, I no longer put *any* patches in my system files, since people
tend to mistruct me if the CRC isn't right.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (05/14/88)

In DOS 3.3, you do NOT need to patch COMMAND.COM to turn off echo as
the default in BATCH files. There is a single character you can place in
front of batch file statements which will prevent them from echoing.
If you do this to the "echo off" statement in the beginning of a batch
file, the rest of the file will remain quiet.

The character is something like "@" or "!", and is documented in the
BATCH commands section of the IBM PC-DOS manual. (Which of course is
at my office and I'm at home...).

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: ihnp4!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (05/15/88)

In article <287@fxgrp.UUCP> jz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) writes:
> Does anyone out there have the patch for COMMAND.COM that makes "echo
> off" the default in .BAT files?  ... or is the code in IBMDOS.COM or
> IBMBIO.COM? ...  I forget.  Anyway, I once had the patch for an
> earlier version of DOS, and I'd like it for my current version:
> PCDOS 3.3.

Well, Lloyd, by now I'm sure you're tired of everyone implying that you
ask dumb questions and then proceeding to answer a different one.  If
you haven't given up on us yet, I'll try to answer _your_ question.

In IBM's PC-DOS 3.3 there are actually two locations in COMMAND.COM
that can be patched:

     xxxx:1D68, changed from 01 to 00, turns echo off in all batch files
                                       EXCEPT your autoexec.bat file.

     xxxx:1304, changed from 03 to 02, turns echo off in your autoexec.bat
                                       file.

Both of these addresses are load addresses for DEBUG, so you would subtract
0100h for the physical offsets into the COM file if you wanted them.

So the actual debug scenario would be:

     DEBUG COMMAND.COM<cr>          this loads command.com into debug

     -E 1D68<cr>
     xxxx:1D68   01.00<cr>          this is for normal batch files

     -E 1304<cr>
     xxxx:1304   03.02<cr>          this is for your autoexec.bat

    -W<cr>                          this writes command.com to disk
    -Q<cr>                          this terminates debug

Obviously, you always make backup copies of command.com before attempting
any patches like this.

My thanks to the nameless 26-324%harvbus1.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu who
originally posted these numbers last year.

I hope this is what you needed. . . .

Dick

P.S.  Now if I could just find someone who could tell me how to patch
      IBM PC-DOS 3.3 COMMAND.COM to change the default drive that pipes
      are created on, I would be very happy.  (hint hint anybody out
      there taken the time to do this yet hint hint)

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/16/88)

In article <1886@slvblc.UUCP> slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Dick Flanagan) writes:
>Well, Lloyd, by now I'm sure you're tired of everyone implying that you
>ask dumb questions and then proceeding to answer a different one.  If
>you haven't given up on us yet, I'll try to answer _your_ question.

Yes, there are many people on the net who seem to think that they are
God's gift to mankind, and who forget about politeness and
consideration of others' feelings.  I would bet that many of these
people would be much less bold in their insulting retorts if they had
to make them face-to-face instead of from behind many layers of
electronic protocol.

>In IBM's PC-DOS 3.3 there are actually two locations in COMMAND.COM
>that can be patched:

[ what followed was a complete and helpful description of how to make the
  requested patches ]

I want to take the time to thank you publicly for the helpful information
that you posted in response to my query.

It turns out that in this case, no one else so far has been insulting
or condescending in their replies to my query, and I am glad.