[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sun 386i Road Runner Impressions

stefan@helios.toronto.edu (Stefan Mochnacki) (04/30/88)

        Sun386i : First Impressions from a PC Perspective

                       Stefan W. Mochnacki
                    David Dunlap Observatory
                       Dept. of Astronomy
                      University of Toronto

I  attended one of Sun's "open house" sessions on Thursday  April
14. Two RR250's with 16-inch color monitors were up and  running.
I  went armed with a 720KB 3.5" diskette carrying  two  Microsoft
FORTRAN-77  v.4.0 applications developed on my trusty old  Compaq
Portable  (I). I had no problem loading them up and running  them
in  CGA windows. Interactive graphics using HALO routines  worked
well  and extremely quickly; I found the new Sun keyboard  highly
compatible with the PC one. Multiple DOS windows could be brought
up,  moved and hidden easily. There was one slight glitch in  the
CGA graphics under HALO, but there was a mouse-driven  pull-down-
menu  re-draw  function which helped overcome it. The  SunOS  was
described as "early beta-version".

     One  of  my  applications is a benchmark which  runs  in  40
seconds on a standard 4.77 MHz PC with 8087 compiled under MS-F77
v.4.0,  and  in 4.6 seconds on a Sun 3/110  with  68881  compiled
under  f77. On the 386i RR250 the MS-F77 (16-bit) version ran  in
roughly  5  seconds  wrist-watch  time. This  was  a  very  rough
measurement,  but  indicates that 8087-intensive 16-bit  PC  code
runs  respectably on the 386i in a DOS window. Sun claims  the  3
MIPS-rated RR150 runs at 0.25 Linpack megaflops (???), and 1.6  M
Whetstones. The RR250 is rated at 5 MIPS.

     The  16-inch color monitor is impressive; it's a  very  flat
SONY  unit, with rich colours and excellent resolution  (standard
1152  x 900 pixels x 8 bits). Unfortunately, they didn't have  on
display a 14" colour monitor (1024 x 768 pixels x 8 bits),  which
is much cheaper. The 19" B/W monochrome monitor is the same price
as  the  14" color; a 15" mono with 1152 x 900  pixels  is  about
$1000  less. Screen I/O appears to be very fast. In  addition  to
native  Sun  graphics,  the CGA, HGC (Hercules)  and  MDA  (mono)
which  will  support  up to 4 EGA or VGA windows  on  a  separate
monitor.

<<<  The Sun people say there are no compatibility problems  with
the smaller number of pixels in the 14" model. Would this be true
for user-written applications ? >>>

     The  CPU  is housed in an attractive squat  vertical  floor-
mounted unit. An optional expansion box for tape and disk sits on
top of it; the combined unit then resembles a PS/2 Model 80.  The
internal layout is interesting and expandable: 4 proprietary  32-
bit  slots  (one used by the memory board, another by  the  frame
buffer),  3 16-bit AT slots and one 8-bit XT slot. The AT/XT  bus
runs at 1/4 the system clock, so on a 20 MHz RR150 that's 5  Mhz,
rather slower than the 6-10 Mhz of most AT buses.  The 32-bit Sun
slots run at full system speed (20 or 25 MHz).

     ***  <<<Note  for number crunchers:  A  Weitek  co-processor
          board  is "under development", and the  compilers  will
          support it.   >>> ***

     Overall, I was impressed by the system. It combines  MS-DOS,
UNIX  (V & BSD, or is it mainly BSD 4.3?), and a  "user-friendly"
interface analogous to the Mac if you want it. System and network
administration is said to be a "SNAP" (no kidding); welcome  news
given  the high cost of UNIX gurus. For the FIRST time we have  a
fully-configured  386 system marrying MS-DOS, UNIX,  high-powered
graphics and networking, which WORKS.  It is claimed to be  FULLY
source-code  compatible  with the Sun 3 and Sun  4  lines;  SunOS
version 4 will be the new standard across all Sun product lines.

     There were some disappointments:

(1)  Only  the  "C"  compiler  will  be  bundled  with  the  full
developer's kit version of SunOS v.4. Fortran "f77"  will have to
be  bought  separately,  but  I  was  told  the  price  would  be
reasonable.

<<< I  now have some information from the US which  suggests  the
f77 compiler will cost about US$1000 >>>

(2)  There  is only one serial port on the motherboard,  and  one
parallel printer port. However, there are supposed to be  several
manufacturers of AT-compatible serial boards who will support the
Sun386i.   This   makes  some  sense,  since  such   boards   are
"intelligent" and impose little CPU overhead; unfortunately, they
are expensive (typ. US$1300). (See April 4 Infoworld).

(3) Delivery times on the RR150 are 90-120 days ...

Pricing for academic users: << All prices CAN $, in Toronto >>

The news is quite good. Don't forget the price includes an  80387
floating-point  co-processor,  4 Megabytes DRAM (the  32K  cache-
equipped  version  is about $1500 more), an  Ethernet  interface,
SCSI  controller, a 1.4MB AT-compatible 3.5" floppy drive,  video
display unit and monitor as listed below:

 Model #                                      List
(Diskless)                              (FST & duty out)
                                             CAN $

RR150SC-4  (with 14" color monitor)          13500

RR150FC-4  (with 16" color monitor)          16500

RR150M-4   (with 19" monochrome)             13500

For a 327MB disk from Sun, add $8000 to the list price.

For  an  expansion box with 60MB cartridge tape drive  and  327MB
disk, add $12000 to above list prices.

For  software and documentation, plus Fortran, add  about  $2000-
2500. <<< Revised figure; actual amount not yet available >>>

For mono unit with 15" monitor, subtract about $1500 from 19".

*** Note about disks:  A CDC Wren IV, 300MB formatted, SCSI,  can
be  had for $2752 from Dilog. A power supply and box can  be  had
for  about $200 from Computer Parts Galore .....
<<< Disk price revised April 15, 1988. Price dropped $550 ! >>>

Thus,  a stand-alone or server colour Sun386i can be set  up  for
about  $14,000 with discounts available to academic  buyers  (and
others  I presume). I recently priced out a  similarly-configured
"it  came  by boat" no-name 386 clone and it cost more,  with  no
certainty  that  it would actually work ! Ditto  for  a  heavily-
discounted  Compaq 386/20. The point is that  "street-market"  PC
stuff  comes  with  no extras, whereas the  Sun386i  comes  fully
configured for serious work, and will WORK.  The "list" prices in
the "street" PC market are quite misleading ...

***Note re PC-NFS: Networking with PC's:

Discounts  apply only to quantity. The prices below are for  5-24
units.
                                                          CAN $

PC-NFS-51   (Software only, media, docs + license)        $445

PC-NFS-3C51 (3Com card + SW + docs + license)            $1,185

I am presently investigating cheaper cards . The Western  Digital
card  apparently works, and others have appeared on  the  market.
(The local 3Com distributor is Compuserve, ph.477-8088 (??)) ***

                           CONCLUSION

     This is an impressive machine, combining the UNIX and PC/MS-
DOS  worlds in an expandable system, with excellent graphics  and
automated  system  management. (Expandibility is  important  when
considering    the   likelihood   of    "supercomputer-on-a-card"
accelerators becoming available ...). It is cheaper (at  present)
than  the Sun 3/60 and is much more expandable. I would  like  to
buy one.

    Some of my colleagues are not as enthusiastic: here follows a
series  of questions I've mulled over and digested  from  various
discussions, and sent to the Sun representatives:

(1) Use of DOS from remote node or terminal:

    Can  one use DOSwindows (copyright notice on screen  revealed
it  to be VP/IX) on the 386i AT ALL from a remote node using  NFS
or PC-NFS, or from a terminal on a serial line ? Yesterday I  was
led to believe that one could run simple jobs. While I don't need
sophisticated remote DOS graphics or direct screen-writing stuff,
one of the big reasons I want the machine is to be able to do big
compiles  and  linking  remotely in DOS.  I  have  heard  strange
stories about Microsoft and legal wrangles ...

    PS: Could a 3rd party product such as DOSmerge be run on  the
Sun 386i to get around these problems ...?

(2) Upgrading PC-NFS:

    Does latest PC-NFS have any windowing or x11/NeWs capability?
Any other graphics capability ?

(3) DOS task priority/time-slicing:

    Can the  "nice" number of DOS windows be set ? Can DOS  tasks
be manually stopped ? (i.e. can they be truly suspended, not just
set  to run in the background?) I'm asking this  because  certain
DOS  applications  and  certain DOS  system  calls  involve  dumb
polling  loops which waste zillions of cycles. I'm very aware  of
this  because I have been using a multi-tasking  environment  for
95%  of  my  PC work over the past 4  years.  I've  even  written
polling  turkeys  myself ... you really feel them on  a  5Mhz  PC
running DoubleDOS.

I have no connection with Sun Microsystems. The opinions are my own.

--
Stefan W. Mochnacki          INTERNET - stefan@helios.physics.toronto.edu
Astronomy, U. Toronto        UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios!stefan

jxh@cup.portal.com (05/02/88)

As a prospective buyer of the Sun386i, I have been extracting technical
information about it from Sun employees at their East Coast Division
(ECD) which produced it.  I have posted some early notes to Sun-Spots
(comp.sys.sun), which were a bit alarming due to incompleteness of my
information at that time.  I have since received a number of corrections
and clarifications from ECD, and posted a note to Sun-Spots a week ago
(which might make it out in another week).  When I think I've gotten my
facts straight, I will post an extended treatment of the MS-DOS
compatilibility, in detail.

I, too, am very impressed with the machine.  I've written a purchase
req. for three of them.  I love the 16" Sony color monitor.  I was going
to buy Sun 3/1xx machines anyway because I want to migrate to UNIX to take
advantage of the networking software (distributed application), but the
MS-DOS capability of the '386i is tantalizing, and will make my migration
smoother and allow me to get my program at least limping along within days.
Being an old 8086 hand, I have a substantial number of little indispensable
utility programs (most in 8086 assembly) that I want to bring with me when
I go to UNIX-land.  A year ago, I didn't imagine that I even could.

I wish I could afford to buy one for myself.
----------
Jim Hickstein, VSAT Systems, Inc, San Jose, CA (408) 435-8016
jxh@cup.portal.com  ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh
Of course, neither I nor my employer is affiliated with Sun Microsystems.
I'm just an enthusiastic consumer.

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (05/02/88)

In article <555@helios.toronto.edu>, stefan@helios.toronto.edu (Stefan Mochnacki) writes:
>         Sun386i : First Impressions from a PC Perspective
> [ .... many lines deleted ..... ]
> For a 327MB disk from Sun, add $8000 to the list price.
> For  an  expansion box with 60MB cartridge tape drive  and  327MB
> disk, add $12000 to above list prices.

  It's not as bad as that, according to the price list I received:

   For a 327MB disk from Sun, add $6000 to the list price.
   For an expansion box with 60MB cartridge tape drive and a 327MB
   disk, add $8000 to above list prices.

>                            CONCLUSION
>
>      This is an impressive machine, combining the UNIX and PC/MS-
> DOS  worlds in an expandable system, with excellent graphics  and
> automated  system  management. (Expandibility is  important  when
> considering    the   likelihood   of    "supercomputer-on-a-card"
> accelerators becoming available ...). It is cheaper (at  present)
> than  the Sun 3/60 and is much more expandable. I would  like  to
> buy one.
>        __________________________________________________

  I agree.  One more point: the system comes with a two-user SUNOS license-
  tho 2nd user needs to connect via standard tty port.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (05/02/88)

 Did not notice that prices I "corrected" were in Canadian dollars.  Here is a
 summary of Sun 386i prices in U.S. currency:

 1. Base Models:

    a. RR150 - 20mhz 80386 with 4 meg memory, 20 mhz 80387 co-proc, ethernet
       and SCSI controllers,  serial and parallel ports, 3.5" floppy drive,
       keyboard, mouse, 15" 1152x900 monochrome monitor, 2-user SunOS license
       with "integrated MS-DOS 3.3"......................................$7990

    b. RR150X - same as above, but with 32 kbyte static cache ...........$9490

    c. RR250 - as above, but: 25 mhz 80386 and 80387, 8 meg memory, 32 kbytes
       cache, 19" 1152x900 monochrome monitor ..........................$13990

 2. Hardware Additions (price additions to base models):

    a. Monitors (substitute cost):

       i. 19" monochrome (for RR150 models)                   $1000
      ii. 14" color, 1024x768                                 $1000
     iii. 16" color, 1152x900                                 $3000
      iv. 19" color, 1152x900                                 $7000

    b. Memory and Storage:

       i. 4 meg SIMM memory (system max: 16 meg)              $2000
      ii. 91 meg, 16 msec drive                               $2000
     iii. 327 meg, 16.5 msec drive                            $6000
      iv. expansion box with 60 meg, 1/4" tape drive          $2000
       v. same as (iv), but including 2nd (327) meg disk      $8000

 3. Gotcha's

    a. "application SunOS" and manuals, on tape                 $325
    b. "applcation SunOS and Developer's toolkit" (C), on tape  $550
    c. same as (a), but on floppies                             $550
    d. same as (b), but on floppies                             $850

    - implication in price list that only one copy needed per site.  Not
      sure that this applies to "Developer's toolkit".  Also not sure if
      "on tape/floppy" means man pages AND substitue for printed manuals.

    - SunOS also comes preinstalled on disk, for systems ordered with disk.
      Hard to tell what is included in this SunOS.  It is 4.0, with at least
      a Mac-type interface, VP/ix, and basic network software tossed in as
      standard issue.  But the local salesperson claims that the total distri-
      bution consumes only 30 meg, which is either dead wrong or implies that
      much has been left out and/or unbundled.

   Pricing is purely additive e.g., no built-in discounts in systems.  The
   underlying price increase from one base model to the one directly "above"
   it is $1500.  So, for example:

      RR150 ($7990) + 2 jumps to RR250 ($3000) + 4 megs memory ($2000) +
      19" monochrome sub. for 15" ($1000) = RR250 ($13990)

   and so on.....

     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

    (no connection to SUN, etc; prices accurate as given me, etc)

jpl@edison.GE.COM (Pim Little) (05/09/88)

Does anyone know if the hardware architecture of the Sun 386i is
proprietary to SUN?  Or could it possibly be compatible to Compaq
386 world?

				Pim Little
				GE Fanuc
				jpl@edison.GE.COM

jxh@cup.portal.com (05/18/88)

jpl@edison.GE.COM (Pim Little) writes:

>Does anyone know if the hardware architecture of the Sun 386i is
>proprietary to SUN?  Or could it possibly be compatible to Compaq
>386 world?

I think the frame buffer is the hardest thing to duplicate exactly.
It needs to be 768x1024, and 10 bits deep!  I don't know if anyone is making
such a display adapter, but I'm sure quite a bit of the software that runs
on the Sun386i depends on the existence of such a display at certain
addresses.  Also, using the I/O Channel to talk to such a board would
probably be much slower than putting it directly on the CPU bus, as in the
Sun.

I also suspect there are other differences in hardware, but if you buy the
sources you should be able to overcome them.  In short, it should be
possible, but I think it would be highly ambitious.

Legal matters will probably intervene.  Sun makes their OS to sell their
machines.  I think it is impossible, and will continue to be so, to obtain
a binary license without buying the hardware, let alone a source license.
If I were you, I'd just buy the Sun machine and get on with it.  The
prices seem steep compared to stripped-down 386 clones, but when you look at
what you get (including the OS) the Sun386i is quite competitive (assuming
you were going to put all those things into your 386 clone eventually anyway).

zdenko@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Zdenko Tomasic) (05/19/88)

In article <1504@edison.GE.COM> jpl@edison.GE.COM (Pim Little) writes:
>Does anyone know if the hardware architecture of the Sun 386i is
>proprietary to SUN?  Or could it possibly be compatible to Compaq
>386 world?
>
>				Pim Little
>				GE Fanuc
>				jpl@edison.GE.COM

From what I was told, the 32-bit bus is proprietory.
It is used both for memory and hard disk which would make it
uncompatible to Compaq 386, but you do get 4 XT/AT slots.

Zdenko Tomasic
UWM, Chem. Dept.
Milwaukee,WI,53201
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!zdenko