[comp.sys.ibm.pc] When will Microsoft give us a *REAL WORLD* C Compiler

jwg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jeffrey William Gillette) (04/21/88)

Last year I was working on a large project with Microsoft C 4.0
in the large memory mode.  Half-way through, I noticed that
uninitialized global variables (the kind put in the BSS segment)
were being mysteriously trashed at random intervals.  A few weeks
with CodeView, and I discovered that malloc() was allocating
storage right over the top of uninitialized globals!  A tar to
Microsoft (then I had access to Dial) brought the answer that (I
paraphrase), "We know there is a problem with uninitialized
globals, others have told us of the problem, we will fix it with
the next version of MS C."

This year I am working on a smaller project for an independent
client.  I develop a program using the large memory model and MS
C 5.0.  All of a sudden, some uninitialized globals start being
trashed at random intervals.  I reach (by instinct) for CodeView,
set a few watchpoints, and discover (surprise, surprise) that
malloc() is allocating storage right over the top of
uninitialized global variables!

Probably a dozen UseNet aces have already pointed up the same
problem.  And, this may not be a problem for programs tht keep
all their data in the DGROUP segment (I haven't done much with
uninitialized data in small or medium models).

My question is simply, when is Microsoft going to get the message
that real world programmers don't use the small memory model all
the time.  Sure the medium model (a la Quick C) provides for far
code and near data - give me a break!  The opposite would have
been much more useful!  Now I no longer have access to Dial, and
can no longer get the "official" Microsoft position on such
subjects.  Anyone want to venture a guess as to when Microsoft
will get on the ball and give us a *REAL WORLD* C compiler that
handles both initialized (DGROUP) and uninitialized (BSS) global
data in a large data memory model?  Until then, my perception is
that one uses uninitialized global structures (in large data
models) at one's own risk!

Jeffrey William Gillette

Jeffrey William Gillette	uucp:   jwg at duke.edu
Duke University                 bitnet: DYBBUK at TUCCVM

Jeffrey William Gillette	uucp:   jwg at duke.edu
Duke University                 bitnet: DYBBUK at TUCCVM

alexc@psu-cs.UUCP (World Class Hacker) (04/22/88)

Hi there,

	As you may have already know that Microsoft have tried to build a
good C-compiler for the IBM-PC ( Brain damaged ! ) env. REAL LIFE C
PROGRAMMER DO NOT DO MUCH C PROCOMMING ON PC's THEY USE UNIX OR U**N INSTEAD.
Of course, if your client only have access to PCs then you just have to find
a way to correct the problem.

			* FRAME ON *

Let see you write a C compiler for the IBM-PC running MS-DOS WITHOUT ANY
MISTAKES ( 100% ERROR FREE ) on the first try !  ( NO ERRORS WHEN YOU TRY TO
COMPILE THE SOURCE CODE FOR THAT COMPILIER then you couse say ......... !!

			* FRAME OFF *

	Anyway, you could send e-mail to Microsoft and see you could get
an answer. Their e-mail path from our site is : tektronix!uw-beaver!microsof

                            Sincerely,
                           __   _
                          /  ) //
                         /--/ // _  _.,
                        /  (_</_</_/ /\_

 RETURN PATH : alexc@psu-cs.uucp

 FRAMES > /dev/null

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (04/25/88)

In article <633@psu-cs.UUCP> alexc@psu-cs.UUCP writes:
[response to a user's complaint about the state of Microsoft C]
|	As you may have already know that Microsoft have tried to build a
|good C-compiler for the IBM-PC ( Brain damaged ! ) env. REAL LIFE C
|PROGRAMMER DO NOT DO MUCH C PROCOMMING ON PC's THEY USE UNIX OR U**N INSTEAD.
|Of course, if your client only have access to PCs then you just have to find
|a way to correct the problem.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are quite a few PC's out there.
This means a large market.  This means money.  As a programmer, I'm
interested in maintaining a decent influx of cash.  *That* is why
people program for PC's.  People use C on PC's because it's a flexible
language that's pretty portable, which is also why it's used on so
many other systems.

Also note that the "PC environment" is not necessarily MS-DOS.  UNIX
also runs on PC's in various flavors, and so do other operating
systems that aren't so popular.

|Let see you write a C compiler for the IBM-PC running MS-DOS WITHOUT ANY
|MISTAKES ( 100% ERROR FREE ) on the first try !  ( NO ERRORS WHEN YOU TRY TO
|COMPILE THE SOURCE CODE FOR THAT COMPILIER then you couse say ......... !!

Well, Microsoft C is on version 5.1.  This means a minimum of 6
revisions of their compiler have gone out (1.0 - 5.0 major and now 5.1
to fix a plethora of bugs in 5.0).  You'd think that after that many
major revisions, most of the bugs would be gone, especially those
which users have complained about repeatedly.

|	Anyway, you could send e-mail to Microsoft and see you could get
|an answer. Their e-mail path from our site is : tektronix!uw-beaver!microsof

Obviously you haven't dealt with Microsoft.  Their response time and
usefulness-of-responses leave something to be desired.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/25/88)

> |Let see you write a C compiler for the IBM-PC running MS-DOS WITHOUT ANY
> |MISTAKES ( 100% ERROR FREE ) on the first try !  ( NO ERRORS WHEN YOU TRY TO
> |COMPILE THE SOURCE CODE FOR THAT COMPILIER then you couse say ......... !!
>
> Well, Microsoft C is on version 5.1.  This means a minimum of 6
> revisions of their compiler have gone out (1.0 - 5.0 major and now 5.1
> to fix a plethora of bugs in 5.0).  You'd think that after that many
> major revisions, most of the bugs would be gone, especially those
> which users have complained about repeatedly.

Microsoft isn't exactly a paragon of virtue in the software testing area,
but there's a couple of mistakes in the statement above.  V1.x and V2.x
of the "Microsoft" C compiler were actually the repackaged Lattice C
compiler.  The only releases that I've seen from Microsoft were V3.0,
V4.0, V5.0, and now V5.1.

I will agree it's frustrating, and in many cases (V5.0 for example), it's
obvious that the compiler was shipped before it was quite ready (hence
the page after page of readme files on the distribution disks), but
testing a compiler thoroughly is DAMN DIFFICULT!

I do agree with all the nasty remarks about Microsoft's level of support.

Clayton E. Cramer

sam@ftp.COM (Shelli Meyers) (04/26/88)

In article <21992@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:

> Well, Microsoft C is on version 5.1.  This means a minimum of 6
> revisions of their compiler have gone out (1.0 - 5.0 major and now 5.1
> to fix a plethora of bugs in 5.0).  You'd think that after that many
> major revisions, most of the bugs would be gone, especially those
> which users have complained about repeatedly.

I hate to burst *your* bubble, but I have heard rumors (from some of
Microsoft's 5.1 beta sites) that 5.1 is still about as broken as 5.0.
This is unfortunate for developers who would *like* to "keep up with the
Jones'" as far as new industry-accepted compilers go, but how can you
support something you can't even trust to use in-house yourself?

Sad... c'est la vie.

Shelli Meyers
FTP Software, Inc.

loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) (04/26/88)

	I don't understand this but I copy files from Sys V unix
	straight into Microsoft C, no changes, no fuss, no muss.
	MSC catches a few real errors that "mcc" let's by, but
	it works great.

chl@whuts.UUCP (LANG) (04/26/88)

With all the complaining about Microsoft (from bugs to lack of support),
has anyone checked out the new assembler called OPTASM ver 1.0.   I saw
a brief review in Volume 7 Number 7 (April 12,1988) of PC Magazine on
page 43.  Sounds pretty good. It's much faster than MASM 5.0.

Charlie Lang
whuts!chl

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (04/27/88)

In article <21992@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd@bu-cs.UUCP writes:

> |Let see you write a C compiler for the IBM-PC running MS-DOS WITHOUT ANY
> |MISTAKES ( 100% ERROR FREE ) on the first try !  ( NO ERRORS WHEN YOU TRY TO
> |COMPILE THE SOURCE CODE FOR THAT COMPILIER then you couse say ......... !!
>
> Well, Microsoft C is on version 5.1.  This means a minimum of 6
> revisions of their compiler have gone out (1.0 - 5.0 major and now 5.1
> to fix a plethora of bugs in 5.0).  You'd think that after that many
> major revisions, most of the bugs would be gone, especially those
> which users have complained about repeatedly.

Actually, (for reasons not particularly interesting) Microsoft has only
released 4 (or 6 if you count the two Windows/OS2 releases) and the numbers
started with 3.0.  Unfortunately, I think 3.0 was a bug free as 4.0, 5.0
and 5.1.  Sigh . . .

> jim frost
> madd@bu-it.bu.edu

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (04/28/88)

> I will agree it's frustrating, and in many cases (V5.0 for example), it's
> obvious that the compiler was shipped before it was quite ready (hence
> the page after page of readme files on the distribution disks), but
> testing a compiler thoroughly is DAMN DIFFICULT!

Yes, but when they can't (or don't) run previous test cases through the
compiler to make sure they didn't break anything, then I say they aren't
doing anywhere close to enough.  There SHOULD be a reasonable test suit
that should be a minimum test case, you'd think.

--Bill Turner

markro@microsoft.UUCP (Mark Roberts) (05/17/88)

> In article <21992@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:
> >
> > Well, Microsoft C is on version 5.1.  This means a minimum of 6
> > revisions of their compiler have gone out (1.0 - 5.0 major and now 5.1
> > to fix a plethora of bugs in 5.0).  You'd think that after that many
> > major revisions, most of the bugs would be gone, especially those
> > which users have complained about repeatedly.
>
> I hate to burst *your* bubble, but I have heard rumors (from some of
> Microsoft's 5.1 beta sites) that 5.1 is still about as broken as 5.0.
> This is unfortunate for developers who would *like* to "keep up with the
> Jones'" as far as new industry-accepted compilers go, but how can you
> support something you can't even trust to use in-house yourself?
>
> Sad... c'est la vie.
>
> Shelli Meyers
> FTP Software, Inc.

------------------------
We would like to address some of the questions raised by these and similar
recent articles appearing on the net.

Mr. Frost states that C 5.1 is at least the 6th release of MS C.  In fact
C 5.1 is the 4th release of this compiler.  Versions 1.x and 2.x were
licensed versions of Lattice C (circa 1982).  Microsoft developed its own
compiler because of the need for higher quality code generation and the
need to support the 286 instruction set for the development of XENIX.
MS C 3.0 was the first retail version of this compiler.  C 5.1 was not
released as a "bug fix" version for C 5.0, but rather as an OS/2 development
compiler.  It is the first retail version which will run in protected mode
and supports the generation of protected mode executables.  C 5.1 does fix
a number of problems from C 5.0; however, Mr. Frost's statement implies that
these were problems of long standing, when in fact, the most serious problems
(with in-line intrinsics and loop optimizations) could not have existed
in previous versions of the compiler as these feature were added for C 5.0.

Ms. Meyers claim about Microsoft not using its own products in-house is
completely off base; her remarks can only be characterized as ill-informed
at best.  Some examples of Microsoft products built exclusively with C 5.0
and/or C 5.1 (some with the addition of some MASM code) include:

        MS C, QuickC and FORTRAN compilers
        QuickBasic 4.0 and Bascom compilers
        CodeView Debugger
        Utilities (Linker, Librarian, M editor, etc.)
        XENIX
        OS/2 (CMD.EXE and utilities)
        LAN Manager
        Presentation Manager
        Windows
        Windows Desktop Applications
        CD-ROM
        Applications (Project, XENIX Word, XENIX Multiplan)

This is not an all-inclusive list but it should give you an idea of the
committment Microsoft has to using C as its development language.  (The
Applications group does have their own C compiler, but this was motivated
by the need for P-code generation to save space and to add 68K support, not
because of any problems with the retail version.)  These products represent
hundreds of thousands of lines of C code running under C 5.x and we find
the allegations of instability hard to understand and support in this light.
This is not to deny that there have been some bugs, even some serious ones,
in our compiler.  All compilers have some, even those which are not being
continually upgraded in terms of new capabilities and code generation
quality.  When you try, as we do, to provide new, sophisticated, state of
the art optimization and code generation capabilities in each version, you
will occasionally get some, possibly ugly, problems, no matter how long and
how thoroughly you test.  But for each person who runs up against one of
these problems, there are thousands who have had little or no trouble.
They simply do not get on the net to tell everyone.

Finally we would like to say that we are committed to producing high quality,
high performance products and to fixing all problems reported to us in a
timely fashion.  Thanks for your continued support and interest - it really
helps us develop better products.

        Dave Weil
        Project Mgr.
        Microsoft C Compiler

        Mark Roberts
        Mgr Compiler Technology Group

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/18/88)

In article <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsof (Mark Roberts) writes:
>We would like to address some of the questions raised by these and similar
>recent articles appearing on the net.

   (info on MSC origins + nice P.R. boilerplate omitted)

>...  Some examples of Microsoft products built exclusively with C 5.0
>and/or C 5.1 (some with the addition of some MASM code) include:
>
>        MS C, QuickC and FORTRAN compilers
>        QuickBasic 4.0 and Bascom compilers
>        CodeView Debugger
>        Utilities (Linker, Librarian, M editor, etc.)
>        XENIX
   (...et cetera, all OS's and compilers)
>        Applications (Project, XENIX Word, XENIX Multiplan)
>
>... (The
>Applications group does have their own C compiler, but this was motivated
>by the need for P-code generation to save space and to add 68K support, not
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>because of any problems with the retail version.) ...

There is something disturbing about this litany.  Do we have the classic
syndrome of the compiler writers creating a product only a compiler writer
could love?  Here in the real world we are applications developers too.
Why shouldn't we believe we'd be better served if we got to use what your
own Applications group uses, "to save space" etc.  It strikes me as somewhat
telling that XENIX WORD, which of course is free to use as much RAM as the
user can afford to buy, uses MSC "native," while MS-DOS WORD -- substantially
the same product but constrained to live within the realities of the
predominant PC operating system's memory limits -- has to forgo MSC 5.x
in favor of P-code.  (This comes as no surprise to observant users who have
noted WP.PGM et al. with interest for some time.)

Now that you've decided to sell what you claim is MS's own "inhouse editor,"
which I must admit is pretty neat -- maybe it's to to sell your P-code
"C" translator as well?

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...uunet!pwcmrd!skipnyc!atpal!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (05/18/88)

In <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsof (or uunet!microsof!markro) writes:
>C 5.1 was not
>released as a "bug fix" version for C 5.0, but rather as an OS/2 development
>compiler. [...]  C 5.1 does fix
>a number of problems from C 5.0; however, Mr. Frost's statement implies that
>these were problems of long standing, when in fact, the most serious problems
>(with in-line intrinsics and loop optimizations) could not have existed
>in previous versions of the compiler as these feature were added for C 5.0.

>This is not to deny that there have been some bugs, even some serious ones,
>in our compiler.

It would be truly useful if Microsoft would do more than acknowledge
that bugs exist.  A list of known bugs in versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1
would save many of us countless hours trying to figure out whether our
problems are caused by our programming errors or Microsoft's compiler
bugs.

>Finally we would like to say that we are committed to producing high quality,
>high performance products and to fixing all problems reported to us in a
>timely fashion.

Fixing bugs in the next possible release is good.  But making patches
available when possible would be better.  Sending out a bulk mailing to
all registered owners of the compiler every two or three months,
containing a list of known bugs and work-arounds would be a big help to
all the smaller software developers who cannot afford to spend hours
hunting through USENET or CompuServe postings in hope of resolving
problems.

The costs of doing this are minimal when compared to the major boost in
goodwill it would generate.  Nobody like to admit that a product has
bugs.  But to avoid telling people about them is wasting thousands of
hours of programmer productivity world-wide in exchange for a little
embarrassment.  This is not an equitable trade-off.

>        Dave Weil
>        Project Mgr.
>        Microsoft C Compiler
>
>        Mark Roberts
>        Mgr Compiler Technology Group

Thank you for responding to the comments made in this forum.  Even
though your remarks were very general, it is importnat to know that you
are paying attention.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (05/19/88)

In article  <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsoft.UUCP (Mark Roberts) writes:
>Finally we would like to say that we are committed to producing high quality,
>high performance products and to fixing all problems reported to us in a
>timely fashion.

But you don't give the fixes to the people who have already bought the
buggy software right?  Most programmers are aware that it is
impossible to get all bugs out of large software projects, and we
would hardly fault Microsoft for that.  But the issue you fail to
address, and the one which will keep me from ever buying a Microsoft
product, is the way you handle bug reports.  When a software product
(or any product for that matter) fails to meet specifications, the
seller is morally (and often legally) obligated to correct the problem
without charge.  All I have heard about Microsoft indicates that they
shaft their customers at every opportunity.  Microsoft is not the only
company that does this but that hardly serves as an excuse.

And they can't even claim that they can't afford to fix bugs for free.
The exorbitant rates they charge for their software would easily
support periodic updates.

tat00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (05/20/88)

In article <5537@megaron.arizona.edu> gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) writes:
>In article  <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsoft.UUCP (Mark Roberts) writes:
>>.. MS stuff deleted ...
>
>But you don't give the fixes to the people who have already bought the
>buggy software right?   ...stuff deleted ...
>....  When a software product
>(or any product for that matter) fails to meet specifications, the
>seller is morally (and often legally) obligated to correct the problem
>without charge.  ... more stuff deleted ...

I find myself in the unexpected position of defending Microsoft.  I have
a pile of MS products (MS-DOS, C, QBasic, Mouse, Windows, Windows SDK ...).
As with any products there are problems from time to time.  I have phoned,
written, FedEx'd and sent net mail.  I have had to talk to several people,
wait, try again etc.  On occasion I have had to upgrade my software to get
a fix.

However, when I needed a new printer driver for MS-Word, I was
given the name of a local dealer who GAVE me 4 disks full of printer and
display drivers.  When I complained by mail of a QuickBasic bug which
turned out to be covered in the READ.ME file, I got a phone call within
a week explaining my error to me and asking me to call back if their
diagnosis proved inaccurate.

When I started working with Windows, MS had setup a Windows forum on
GEnie for those of us who didn't want to pay for DIAL (MS tech support
BBS).  They also have uploaded a bunch of fixes and sample software
to GEnie and several of their employees are regulars on the system.

When I buy an update, I notice that the total price I pay is the same if I
get or skip the minor updates (e.g. $75 for 2.0-3.0, $25 for 2.0-2.1 and
$50 for 2.1-3.0).

I am not under the illusion that MS products or support are perfect,
but, they aren't significantly worse than most of the industry and
they are better than some.  Their major offense seems to be that
they are big and successful.

FLAME ON -- As far as moral obligation goes, I suggest you buy the
product before you scream about poor support.
--
Tom Thackrey tat00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!tat00

[ My opinions are only my own. ]

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (05/21/88)

In article  <32505@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> tat00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) writes:
>In article <5537@megaron.arizona.edu> gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) writes:
>><<an extremely calm and reasoned criticism of Microsoft customer
>>  support :-)>>
>
>I find myself in the unexpected position of defending Microsoft...
>As with any products there are problems from time to time...

Sure, I said I understand that.  It's not the problems that bother me,
it's the way the problems are handled.

>...When I complained by mail of a QuickBasic bug which
>turned out to be covered in the READ.ME file, I got a phone call within
>a week explaining my error to me and asking me to call back if their
>diagnosis proved inaccurate...

This is defending MS?  It takes them a week to answer a question, and
then all they say is "Yup.  That's a bug all right."

>I am not under the illusion that MS products or support are perfect,
>but, they aren't significantly worse than most of the industry and
>they are better than some.

As I said before, that's no excuse.

>Their major offense seems to be that they are big and successful...

What's wrong with being big and successful?  That _is_ the goal of
forming a company isn't it?  No, Microsoft's major offense seems to be
that they screw their customers.  I can think of many big and
successful companies I would gladly do business with.

>FLAME ON -- As far as moral obligation goes, I suggest you buy the
>product before you scream about poor support.

Good grief (said in a dry monotone to avoid further charges of
screaming :-).  I said the reason I _don't_ buy it is because of the
poor support (add a trace of sarcasm).  Also, the term "scream" is an
extremely poor choice (entering a dry, pedantic tone of voice).  I
assure you that I wrote the article in complete calm, and that I feel
no particular passion or resentment towards Microsoft.  Happily, I
heard enough about them before I bought any of their products (except
MSDOS, and I knew what I was getting into there).

In fact, the reason I wrote the article was because it appeared that
someone from MS actually reads these things, and I was hoping for a
reply along the lines of "Gee, your right, we are going to completely
change our customer support."  (OK, it was a harmless fantasy.)

					David Gudeman

gudeman@arizona.edu			    Department of Computer Science
{allegra,cmcl2,ihnp4,noao}!arizona!gudeman  The University of Arizona
602-621-2858				    Tucson, AZ 85721

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/23/88)

In article <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsof (or uunet!microsof!markro) writes:
|We would like to address some of the questions raised by these and similar
|recent articles appearing on the net.
[...]
|Mr. Frost states that C 5.1 is at least the 6th release of MS C.  In fact
|C 5.1 is the 4th release of this compiler.

I thank you for correcting me and for the additional information about
the history of your compiler.

|Finally we would like to say that we are committed to producing high quality,
|high performance products and to fixing all problems reported to us in a
|timely fashion.

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe this.  Those people I've met who
are doing serious development with several of your packages tell me
that your technical support is almost never timely.  In one case, a
bug in the Fortran compiler (4.0) relating to use of the 8087 was
reported by a friend of mine.  Tech support stated (after something
like an hour on hold) that it must be because he was using a clone.
He then tried using true blue, same problem.  Tech support called back
*two weeks* later to inform him that they'd found the problem, it was
a bug, and it would be fixed in a later version of the compiler.  No
immediate bug fix or indication of just how long it will be until the
"later version".  I sure hope no one was trying to number crunch with
that version of MS Fortran.

How timely *are* your bug fixes?  Compare your response time with that
of Borland.  They had several (pretty severe) problems with their
initial release of Turbo C.  Within a week or so of hearing about the
bugs, there were patches to fix them.  Within a couple of months they
had a new release of the compiler with the bugs fixed (and lots of
enhancements to boot).  Now, you've known that there was a serious
problem with loop optimization in MS C 5.1 for quite some time.  It's
serious enough that the recent Byte review stated that "loop
optimization generated invalid results" -- it showed up even in simple
benchmarks.  *Where is the bug fix*?  Perhaps Microsoft and I have
differing opinions of "timely."

"High quality, high performance products".  Ok, I'll admit that many
of your products (MS Word, Windows, Excel) are very nice.  Your very
own C compiler comes to mind as a counterexample.  Why do you think it
is that people flame about your C compiler?  Because it doesn't work
as it's supposed to.  Worse, it doesn't even work as it's *advertised*
to.  This is "high quality"?  Not in my book.  The people who I speak
to that *must* use your product ("industry standard" and all) aren't
happy about it.  If you think I'm wrong, talk to sam@vax.ftp.com, who
you flamed in your message.  Or the people who (just a few short
months ago) were discussing the possibility of a class-action suit
against Microsoft regarding MS C.

"High performance"?  Your C compiler is nicer than most *as a
package*.  The nicest thing about it is Codeview; nobody else has
that.  The code generated by your compiler is mediocre compared to
several other compilers on the market; lucky for you that their
libraries aren't quite up to par with yours.  Many compilers produce
either smaller or faster code (although few do both, and even fewer
have nice libraries).  The compilation speed of your compiler is
horrendous; few other compilers are so slow.  I don't think I'd call
your compiler high performance; it is probably the weakest part of the
entire development package.

I'm sorry I don't share your point of view with regards to your C
compiler, but as a programmer I'd rather use a programming package
without all the bells and whistles if it *works*.  Libraries can be
written.  Debugging can be done without a fancy debugger.  But writing
a program with a broken compiler is a serious problem.

|        Dave Weil
|        Project Mgr.
|        Microsoft C Compiler

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (05/24/88)

In article <22790@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:
> In article <1466@microsoft.UUCP> markro@microsof (or uunet!microsof!markro) writes:
> |We would like to address some of the questions raised by these and similar
> |recent articles appearing on the net.
> |Finally we would like to say that we are committed to producing high quality,
> |high performance products and to fixing all problems reported to us in a
> |timely fashion.
> |        Dave Weil
> |        Project Mgr.
> |        Microsoft C Compiler

Having been in a project where we were to use MSC 4.0 and having manifest
compiler/linking problems and contortions, we decided to bag DOS and develop
under UNIX to save ourselves a double pain:  poor MSC and poor DOS.  If someone
were to fence me in on when should I (we) start OS/2 development, my answer
would be whenever a Borland (or other quality third party) C compiler is
available to get the job done!

MSC: never again!

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll