[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC-Paintbrush, Dr. Halo graphics file formats.

gmc@ecsvax.UUCP (Gordon Cressman) (05/13/88)

I am looking for a clear description of the PCX graphics file format used
by Z-Soft's PC-Paintbrush program or the PIC file format used by Media
Cybernetics Dr. Halo. I could also use code in any language to read these
formats and reconstruct the original image in the display buffer.

Any help in this direction will be appreciated.

Gordon M. Cressman
gmc@ecsvax

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (05/15/88)

If anyone has these, I would also like to get a copy.
Thanks in advance.

Venu P Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (05/16/88)

The PC Paintbrush file formats are documented in a "tech ref manual" that
ZSoft will send you without charge.  I can't speak for the clarity since I
haven't received my copy yet.

Ken Mintz

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (05/25/88)

I wrote previously:
> The PC Paintbrush file formats are documented in a "tech ref manual" that
> ZSoft will send you without charge.  I can't speak for the clarity since I
> haven't received my copy yet.

  I have now received the ZSoft "tech ref manual".  Altho it is certainly
  very helpful, I must say that it left much to be desired.  There were
  gaps in the details as well as some obvious errors.

  The manual only documents .PCX files and bit-mapped font files.  I haven't
  taken the time to see if .PCC files are similarly structured.  And I expect
  that stroke font files have a more complext structure.

  If there is any interest, I'd be happy to email or post a summary of what
  I've learned about the structure of .PCX files.

Ken Mintz
ARPA:  mintz%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:  hplabs!hpda!mintz