[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS / PC-DOS SYS compatibility

mician@usfvax2.EDU (Rudy Mician) (05/25/88)

How can I reserve system file space without regard to whether it is
for PC-DOS or MS-DOS

I have reserved system file space using MS-DOS (v3.1) and then tried to
install PC-DOS (v3.1) with no luck.  The same problem arises if I try to
reserve the system file space with PC-DOS.

Can I circumvent the problem by simply reserving file space with MS-DOS
(which takes up more space with its hidden files) and then changing the
file names to match those of the hidden files used by PC-DOS, or is there
some other way around this problem?

.     Thanks for any help,

.                           Rudy Mician

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (05/25/88)

In article <1070@usfvax2.EDU>, mician@usfvax2.EDU (Rudy Mician) writes:

> How can I reserve system file space without regard to whether it is
> for PC-DOS or MS-DOS

You might try to use the /B option when formatting.  This will create
a disk that will accept the system on it.  The only problem is that
it will create a disk with 8 sectors per track.

> I have reserved system file space using MS-DOS (v3.1) and then tried to
> install PC-DOS (v3.1) with no luck.  The same problem arises if I try to
> reserve the system file space with PC-DOS.

If you used the /B option on the format then you may be in trouble.

> Can I circumvent the problem by simply reserving file space with MS-DOS
> (which takes up more space with its hidden files) and then changing the
> file names to match those of the hidden files used by PC-DOS, or is there
> some other way around this problem?

I tried fooling DOS by changing the names of the system files on a
hard drive and ended up destroying the logical layout of the drive.
I had to reformat to back out.  MS and PC DOS use a slightly
different layout for hard drive formats.  Be careful when trying
any tricks.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ