[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need info on Ethernet products for

german@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (05/21/88)

I like PC-NFS and version 3.0 supports the following interfaces:

3Com 3C501, 3C503, 3C505, 3C523(micro channel)
Ungermann-Bass NIC and NIU
Micom-Interlan NI5010 (the NI5210 is supported with a driver from Micom?)
Western Digital WD8003E
Serial Line (requires a SLIP server)

PC-NFS allows you to have virtual disk on a NFS server.  I use both a
Sun and a Convex as NFS servers.
Telnet.  I do prefer the NCSA version.
FTP.
rcp.
rsh.

A PC-NFS add-on product Life Line provides SMTP mail from a POP server, (source
for popd.c is provided) and backup to Unix connected tapedrives.

I was unable to evaluate TOPS for the Sun.  The version I was shipped works
only on a Sun 3 running OS 3.2 and would not work running version 3.5.
A version of for 3.5 Sun OSs should be availble soon, but I will probably
have upgraded to Sun OS 4.0 by then.  The price was reasonable at just over
$700.00 after discounts for a 4 user license, but the party line seems to
be use PC-NFS for PC to Sun access and use TOPS for Mac to Sun access.
You are required to have an AppleTalk to Ethernet gateway for Mac TOPS to
talk to Sun TOPS. (Kinetics FastPath)

         Greg German (german@uxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU) (217-333-8293)
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
Office:  181 Digital Computer Lab.

jif@cup.portal.com (05/24/88)

Has anyone tried the AST Ethernet card?  They make some pretty impressive
claims in their ads.
-Jim Foster jif@cup.portal.com

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (05/26/88)

In article <5804@cup.portal.com>, jif@cup.portal.com writes:

> Has anyone tried the AST Ethernet card?  They make some pretty impressive
> claims in their ads.

What software runs with it?