[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft bugfix non-support

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (05/20/88)

[I've edited Tom's comments heavily to shorten things up...so that I can
 write a lot more :-(]

In article <32505@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> (Tom Thackrey) writes:
>In article <5537@megaron.arizona.edu> (David Gudeman) writes:
>> compiler to make their language products] [no wonder the bugs perpetuate!]

>>But you don't give the fixes to the people who have already bought the
>>buggy software right?   ...stuff deleted ...

>I find myself in the unexpected position of defending Microsoft.  I have
>a pile of MS products...
>As with any products there are problems from time to time.
>[After much persistence, he gets thru; rarely gets help, sometimes has to
> upgrade software for bugfixes]
>[In one case, a dealer gave good support; in another, Microsoft was happy
> to explain his operator error to him, one week after he asked for help]
>[Microsoft also contributes to developer discussions about Windows on GEnie]

>When I buy an update, [Microsoft makes sure that you pay at least $25 for every
>update from the version you purchased until the one you are getting]

>I am not under the illusion that MS products or support are perfect,
>but, they aren't significantly worse than most of the industry and
>they are better than some.  Their major offense seems to be that
>they are big and successful.

Being big and successful is not bad. Assuming that most programmers see things
your way IS bad.

They are SIGNIFICANTLY worse than their competition. Compare the support
you get with your $300+ Microsoft C and the support you get with your $65
Turbo C (which is a far better product than Microsoft's to begin with,
except for debugger and linker [so far]):

Microsoft: I try to port several MB of source to PC's; MSC croaks with 13
	compiler errors [we're talking compiler-blows-up errors here! Not
	even simple bad-generated-code bugs]. After being persistent, I get
	these responses: 1) We don't beleive you've found any bugs in our
	compiler; 2) To prove it, you must send us your complete source
	code [riiiight. 4 MB of source, much of which is proprietary licensed
	code that I couldn't show to my mother if I wanted to :-)]. 3) Even
	if you *do* prove that there are any bugs, we wouldn't give you a
	bug fix anyway. You'll just have to wait and see they are fixed in
	the next release you buy. 4) You want a list of known bugs in the
	compiler? FORGET IT!

	Each new release is marketed as a new-feature release; there is
	always a significant charge. If you just want bug fixes, forget it!

Borland: First release of the compiler. I note one of the 4 bugs that everybody
	found. Call Borland. They immediately ship me, FREE, an update with
	all 4 bugs fixed. They also tell me the patches over the phone so I
	can get going immediately. I find another, more subtle bug; they send
	yet another update for free. As version 1.5 is released, I find another
	1.0 bug. They send me version 1.5 for free! [1.5 has significant new
	features, not just bug fixes]

Microsoft has a SIGNIFICANT attitude problem. I've also seen it with other
companies, but that doesn't excuse it. As far as they are concerned (go back
and read the article they wrote to see this), each new release provides
significant new functionality to the developer community; that's why we
should be falling head-over-heels to shell out the bucks for each release.
Any bug fixes passed on are a minor part of the deal. What's wrong with
that?.... Their picture does not match reality! Sure, a FEW people see it
their way; if you've already bought into Microsoft's future-OS/2-view, you
are currently stuck with them! But...

How many of us developers actually see it their way? Take the most recent
release: Now you get OS/2 compatibility!!! Wow. If I were doing OS/2 stuff,
I'd be excited. As it is, I've got a bunch of software that their 5.0
update BROKE. I paid for 5.0 hoping that the bugs I've been working around
all this time would be fixed. Instead, I've got a piece of junk on my hands.
Now I'm supposed to pay again, and I have NO confidence the new release
will be any better!!!

So what am I doing about it? What a lot of others are doing: as fast as I
can, I'm switching to Turbo C. I hope that a lot of other programmers are
doing the same. I hope the lack of update-fee-payments is hurting Microsoft
in the only place they care about (the bottom line), so that maybe they'll
have a change of attitude. Unless I see a BIG change, I'm NEVER going to
buy a product from them again! It simply isn't worth it. There ARE substitutes.
Turbo C is a nice start. Periscope III is far better for real work than
CodeView. It is worth the extra bucks. I can't do OS/2 stuff yet, but who
cares? I've got all the work I can handle without OS/2. I'm happy to let
Lotus, A-T, etc waste their resources dealing with Microsoft.

AN OPEN LETTER TO MICROSOFT [I hope you're still reading!]

[The following may sound like a flame. Actually, it isn't, in the sense that
 I am *serious*, I am trying to be *constructive*, and I really hope that
 they *change* their attitude.]

Microsoft folks: pull your heads out of the sand! Spend some bucks making
	your products better. Treat those of us who find bugs in your products
	better. You'll be MUCH more appreciated if you do. For example:

	- Make available a list of known bugs, no matter how subtle. By
		request only, maybe. DON'T CHARGE US FOR IT! I'm already
		mad enough when I find out exactly what contortions I have
		to go through to get around YOUR bugs. Don't make me pay
		to find out about it! Sooth me by helping me all you can!
	- Provide patch instructions whenever possible.
	- If I report a real bug, don't get defensive! THANK me. FIX the
		bug. If it is already fixed, or once you fix it, send me
		a floppy with an updated version! Again, DON'T CHARGE ME
		FOR IT! My time is valuable. When I take the time to
		isolate one of YOUR bugs, I'm NOT happy. I feel like sending
		you the bill for the time I've wasted. Sooth me; calm me
		down; make me happy again! That's what Good Customer
		Relations is all about!!!
	- Sure, if I don't bother contacting you to complain about a bug,
		it probably isn't bothering me all that much. Your little
		$25 update notice may be just what I need. But if I'm
		bothered enough to call you [repeatedly!], write you, Fed
		Ex stuff to you... you should be trying VERY hard to sooth
		me; calm me down.... In the past, you had little competition.
		That is changing; it is time you learned how to treat your
		customers right.
	- [and while I'm at it] How about producing a GOOD table of contents
		and index for your manuals? Every single Microsoft manual that
		I have ever used has a common failing: the TOC/Index are so
		bad that I can rarely find the topic I am looking for when
		I have a question. Sure, you have lots of entries, but somehow
		they are NEVER what I need. I'm not an expert at creating good
		indices, but I know a good one when I see it. Yours isn't.

>FLAME ON -- As far as moral obligation goes, I suggest you buy the
>product before you scream about poor support.

Put your flamethrower away. The poor sucker said right at the start
that Microsoft gives poor support to people WHO HAVE BOUGHT their products.
That's been my experience also. I'm sure that our experiences are not unique.

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

kc@rna.UUCP (Kaare Christian) (05/26/88)

I'm not an independent observer of Microsoft, so I don't want to
comment on their support. (But I'm not in bed with Microsoft, and I
believe that I can report fairly on Borland. I am not a Borland basher,
I have occasionally used turbo pascal for short projects, and I have
taught Pascal using Turbo.)

In article <232@octopus.UUCP>, pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
> Borland: First release of the compiler. I note one of the 4 bugs that everybody
> 	found. Call Borland. They immediately ship me, FREE, an update with
> 	all 4 bugs fixed. They also tell me the patches over the phone so I
> 	can get going immediately. I find another, more subtle bug; they send
> 	yet another update for free. As version 1.5 is released, I find another
> 	1.0 bug. They send me version 1.5 for free! [1.5 has significant new
> 	features, not just bug fixes]

I had just the opposite results with TurboC, and I abandoned it because
of its many bugs. While working for half a year in Germany, I bought a
copy of TC version 1. During my first few weeks I ran into a serious
bug every few days. This resulted in four formal bug report letters to
Borland, each accompanied by example code that irrefutably demonstrated
the bugs. Some of the reports detailed several bugs, so we are talking
about 8 or so of the buggers. There were problems with far and huge
pointers, problems with floating point, problems with printf, and a
couple of problems with library routines. In response to each letter I
got a very polite response admitting that there was a problem, and
pledging to fix the bug soon. (Each response was also accompanied by a
compuserve freeby, which is pretty useless in Germany.) I never
received any fixes.

One of the bugs was in the lfind procedure. I wrote a replacement in
about ten minutes (tho it took about a day to find the bug originally,
'cause who would suspect that lfind couldn't look through an empty
list).  Their response to this trivial to fix bug (just send me a new
lfind) was "our engineers are working on it and we expect ...." <Flame
on> Cripes sakes. If more than one person is working on it for more
than about ten minutes then you should go get some real
programmers.<Flame Off>

Sometime later I was at a trade show in Munich, and I talked to a
person at the Heimsoeth booth (they sell Borland stuff in Germany). The
person said that 1.5 was just out and it was much better, and that he
would send me a copy if I returned my 1.0 disks. I did, and he did, but
there were no docs, no license, no nothing but the disks with the 1.5
software. I don't know if he was authorized to give away 1.5, or if he
did it illegally.  None of the important bugs was fixed.

Approximately two weeks of my time were wasted because of turboc bugs.
(I worked with turboc for about six weeks, but during that time I only
made about 4 weeks of progress, because the rest of the time was spent
finding compiler bugs.) In the end, my source was strewn with #ifdef
__TURBOC__ statements to work around the bugs. It was a waste of time;
my bug reports obviously didn't help make a better 1.5.

Kaare Christian
Research Assoc.
The Rockefeller Univ.