[comp.sys.ibm.pc] need info on WORM disks

erd@duke.cs.duke.edu (Ed Darken) (05/26/88)

We're developing a high speed data acquisition system in our lab based
around networked IBM PC-AT's (hey, they're cheap). I'm looking into ways
to archive our data, and WORM disks strike me as the best choice (right
now). Can any of you kind people out there tell me anything about WORM
disks? Like, amount of storage, price, transfer rates on write and read,
reliable models, etc.? Also, if you think there are better alternatives,
by all means let me know. The amount of data we'll need to store during
a study will be on the order of tens of megabytes.

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (05/28/88)

In article <11776@duke.cs.duke.edu> erd@duke.cs.duke.edu (Ed Darken) writes:
>We're developing a high speed data acquisition system in our lab based
>around networked IBM PC-AT's (hey, they're cheap). I'm looking into ways
>to archive our data, and WORM disks strike me as the best choice (right
>now). Can any of you kind people out there tell me anything about WORM
>disks? Like, amount of storage, price, transfer rates on write and read,
>reliable models, etc.? Also, if you think there are better alternatives,
>by all means let me know. The amount of data we'll need to store during
>a study will be on the order of tens of megabytes.

Look into the WORMs from ISI (Information Storage Inc) from Colorado
Springs.  We are using these drives for data archival and the beauty
if their scheme is that they have software drivers that allow the disc
to be used EXACTLY like a regular DOS disk. Logical drives, subdirectories
loads .EXEs from a DOS prompt, etc.  This is one of the major faults of
Optical disk technology - their use is not transparent to the OS.

All you have to do is load a device driver in the config.sys and off you go,
the next available drive is the CD-WORM, and you treat it just like any drive.
Their access times are better than 65ms, which is great for optical media, and
they have a new generation out that has like 18ms times!  Great stuff.
to be used EXXA
 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder  (303) 761-0410
 murillo@boulder.colorado.edu | ..{ncar|nbires}!boulder!murillo
 ( Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Warhol )