[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ProComm 2.42- problem shelling out from host mode.

creps@silver (Steve Creps) (05/28/88)

   I'm trying to figure out how to get into the command shell when I call up
my own computer (from work) and have it answer in ProComm host mode. I can get
connected just fine. I can download and upload just fine. When I try to do the
(F)iles command, or (S)hell out, it says "Not available."
   Does anyone have experience using ProComm for this? I have the passwords
correct, and it says "accepted" when I type the shell password, but then it
doesn't do anything except say "not available" and return to the host menu.
   I have also tried a program I got from a BBS that is supposed to fix some
problem with host mode, but it doesn't seem to help.
   I would appreciate any advice or experiences (problems or success) anyone
else has had with the ProComm host mode.
   Hmm, maybe it's time to switch to PibTerm (or write my own).

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps, Indiana University, Bloomington, home of the "Hoosiers"
	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!creps
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	creps@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)
"To dream... the unlintable dream..."

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (05/31/88)

In article <9197@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (RAMontante) writes:
>creps@silver (Steve Creps) writes:
>>   I'm trying to figure out how to get into the command shell when I call up
>>my own computer (from work) and have it answer in ProComm host mode. I can get
>>connected just fine. I can download and upload just fine. When I try to do the
>>(F)iles command, or (S)hell out, it says "Not available."
>
>Are you sure that you have enough memory left to strike off another shell?

   Yes, I have 640K. I can shell out with no problem by typing Alt-F4 (with a
couple hundred K of memory to spare), but this problem occurs when I try to
call up my computer from somewhere else.