[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WARNING!

tfra@ur-tut.UUCP (04/09/87)

[Et tu, line-eater?]

NO!  Arc Version 5.13 is a trojan horse program.  It will destroy the boot
sector of your disk!  The last version I heard of was 5.12.

- Tom Frauenhofer

...!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tfra

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
					- Harlan Ellison

dick@zaphod.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <1170@ur-tut.UUCP> tfra@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>NO!  Arc Version 5.13 is a trojan horse program.  It will destroy the boot
>sector of your disk!  The last version I heard of was 5.12.

The latest version of the SEA/Buerg ARC programs that I have seen and
used are version 5.20.  They are available on several BBs, but you
might want to be suspecious of any that are not in the form of:

	ARC520.COM

This .com file, when run, creates all of the individual files making
up the release.  I don't know, however, how you can tell if you have
a good arc520.com or a Trojan Horse.
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick

cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <592@zaphod.UUCP> dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
[...]
>The latest version of the SEA/Buerg ARC programs that I have seen and
>used are version 5.20.  They are available on several BBs, but you
>might want to be suspecious of any that are not in the form of:
>
>	ARC520.COM
>
>This .com file, when run, creates all of the individual files making
>up the release.  I don't know, however, how you can tell if you have
>a good arc520.com or a Trojan Horse.

Well, one can always tell by running it, the moral being don't run it
off a hard disk the first time you use it, or off a floppy with
important stuff on it.

I'd like to echo the desire of a previous poster who wanted some kind
soul to post 5.20 to the net. The latest I have is 5.10.

--
"... every form of refuge has its price."	..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
	-- The Eagles     			    PMRCJDB@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

Mark_Medici@rubbs1.UUCP (Mark Medici) (05/31/88)

RE:   SUPERSOFT, INC.  of Champaign, IL.

A warning to anyone considering the purchase of ANY product from
SuperSoft, Inc.

Based on my experience with the products and employees of SuperSoft,
I STRONGLY WARN you to AVOID SuperSofts products AT ALL COSTS for
the following reasons:

  o   SuperSoft provided FALSE and MISLEADING statements about the
      capabilities and functions of its products in advertisements
      and product information flyers.
  o   SuperSoft's sales and marketing personell also provided false
      information and made unfulfilled promises.
  o   SuperSoft's technical support staff are unconcerned with the
      problems and complaints of its customers.
  o   SuperSoft's employees are interested only in selling products;
      once I bought the product, they wouldn't answer my phone calls
      or letters.

My experince began in October 1987 with the purchase of Service
Diagnostics software.  This package did not, and still does not
perform all the functions it was advertised as doing.  I have called
SuperSoft more than 20 times, and have sent letters.  SuperSoft
has never returned my phone calls or responded to my letters.  I
have full documentation to this effect.  I will make all my notes
available to you, just send a S.A.S.E. to:

     RUTGERS UNIVERSITY - Cook College
     BIO/AG ENG - College Farm Road
     New Brunswick, NJ 08903
     Attn: Mark Medici - Microcomputer Analyst.