[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need info on Packard Bell modem

sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Stan Reeves) (05/28/88)

Sorry if this has been covered recently.  I just noticed an ad
for a Packard Bell 2400 baud internal modem for $129.  Does
anyone know anything about it?  Is it fully Hayes compatible,
reliable, etc?

Thanks,

Stan Reeves

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (05/30/88)

In article <292@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Stan Reeves) writes:
> Sorry if this has been covered recently.  I just noticed an ad
> for a Packard Bell 2400 baud internal modem for $129.  Does
> anyone know anything about it?  Is it fully Hayes compatible,
> reliable, etc?

If they are the same adds I have seen they are for the PB2400PLUS.
I have been using one of these for the last few months and am
quite happy with it. Hayes compatible, no dip switches (options are
stored in non-volatile ram and changeable by software) and generally
seems to do everything I want it too.

john

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (05/31/88)

In article <286@bby-bc.UUCP>, john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
> In article <292@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Stan Reeves) writes:
> > Sorry if this has been covered recently.  I just noticed an ad
> > for a Packard Bell 2400 baud internal modem for $129.  Does
>
> If they are the same adds I have seen they are for the PB2400PLUS.

I seem to have missed your saying it was an internal when I responded
to your article, sorry - all my comments refer to the external version
which I am quite pleased with.

john

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/01/88)

In article <286@bby-bc.UUCP>, john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
> In article <292@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, sjreeves@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Stan Reeves) writes:
> > Sorry if this has been covered recently.  I just noticed an ad
> > for a Packard Bell 2400 baud internal modem for $129.  Does
> > anyone know anything about it?  Is it fully Hayes compatible,
> > reliable, etc?
> I have been using one of these for the last few months and am
> quite happy with it.

I too have a number of the Packard Bells, both the PB2400 Plus and the
IS/EM2400 and am generally pleased with them. One caution though.
These modems seem to be very sensitive about heat so a few don'ts:

	DON'T stack them together
	DON'T put them on top of your monitor

In short, keep them cool and well ventilated and they will serve you well.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623