[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSC 5.1 Codeview probs

haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tom Haviland) (06/01/88)

  I just got the update for MSC v5.1 (from 5.0) and installed it the
other day (after write-protecting my setup disk :-) .  Today I tried
compiling something with the Zi flag set (for codeview debugging).  It
compiled and linked fine, but when I start up codeview it says:

CVPCK.EXE not found
Enter new file spec:

I assume it is looking for a codeview packer like exepack.  I don't know
why it would be, but thats what seems to be happening.  So I started
hunting around, but I couldn't find anything called cvpck.exe BUT I found
something called cvpack.exe.  I tried renaming it to cvpck.exe and did
codeview again, but it just died.  Anyone out there have any idea about
what might be happening?  Just for the record, my command line was something
like:    cl -Zi backup.c d:\lib\setargv /LINK /NOE
and my codeview like:   cv /w/s/b backup.exe
Any help would be greatly appreciated

                           tom

--
	 					Thomas P. Haviland
Usenet: haviland@uvm-gen.uucp  		 	University of Vermont

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (06/02/88)

In article <859@uvm-gen.UUCP>, haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tom Haviland) writes:

> I just got the update for MSC v5.1 (from 5.0) and installed it the
> other day (after write-protecting my setup disk :-) . Today I tried
> compiling something with the Zi flag set (for codeview debugging).
> It compiled and linked fine, but when I start up codeview it says:
>
> CVPCK.EXE not found
> Enter new file spec:
>
> I assume it is looking for a codeview packer like exepack. I don't
> know why it would be, but thats what seems to be happening. So I
> started hunting around, but I couldn't find anything called cvpck.exe

That's a problem with CV using DOS v2.X. CV uses the program name
passed to it by the EXEC loader of DOS (argv[0] to C programmers).
This wasn't available in DOS v2.X. Unfortunately, CV was build using
the name CVPCK, so it defaults to this when looking for itself in DOS
v2.X. Rename CV.EXE to CVPCK.EXE to get around this. (I would assume
that you could also use <your favorite binary editor> to patch CV.EXE,
changing the string "cvpck" to "cv<NULL><NULL><NULL>", but renaming
is easier than binary patches.) You could also enter the filename
CVPCK when it asks you for the new file spec in the prompt above.

On the same vein, another problem you'll run into is that when CV
looks for it's file CV.HLP (the help file), it can't find it under
DOS v2.X, since the Microsoft C Compiler startup code sets argv[0]
to "C" under DOS v2.X, instead of the actual program name. CV looks
for argv[0].HLP, which works in DOS v3.X, but in DOS v2.X it looks
for the file C.HLP. The way to work around this is to rename CV.HLP
to C.HLP.

So, get a version of DOS above v2.X, or

    C> ren cv.exe cvpck.exe
    C> ren cv.hlp c.hlp

until they release a new version.

-Lee
_____
Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
{uw-beaver,sun,uunet}!microsof!leefi, leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.edu
DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

benoitm@hpmwtla.HP.COM ( Benoit Menendez) (06/04/88)

> cl -Zi backup.c d:\lib\setargv /LINK /NOE

Add /CO to link the codeview library with it.

				Benoit

				...!hplabs!hpmwtd!benoitm