Date: Monday, 30 May 1988  14:59-MDT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
To:   kpetersen@simtel20.arpa
Re:   FSP_12

----BEGINNING OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----
Date:         Mon, 30 May 1988 18:01 IST
From:         Revised List Processor (1.5n) <LISTSERV%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      File: "IBMPC-L MAIL" being sent to you
To:           HICKS@WALKER-EMH.ARPA

Date:         Mon, 30 May 88 17:40:34 GMT
From:         Turgut Kalfaoglu <BILTUR@TREARN>
To:           PCSERV-L@RPICICGE , IBMPC-L@TAUNIVM

                   * Important *
The other day, I got an interesting file called FSP_12.ARC in the
Simtel's directory. I was happy to notice that it was a
resident program to detect any access to disk. What the program does
is that it pops open a window asking you to confirm what the running
program 'wishes' to do. Great so far.

I used it for a while, under DOS 3.3, with FastOpen installed, then
I ran a batch program of mine, which cleans out all *.BAK and *.~??
files from my disk. FSP_12 warned me that the batch file was about
to write directly to the disk (as opposed to using services), which
I permitted, since I have used that batch a few thousand times before.
This batch file consisted of:
CLEAN *.BAK
CLEAN *.~??  -- clean, being a global-deletion program.
After the successful completion of the batch, I did a DIR.
and found 64 files, instead of the usual 250. I
went to another dirs, found garbled directory listings. CHKDSK did
not think much of my disk:   'Probably non-DOS disk'
You can guess the rest: FORMAT C: /V/S, and much heartache.
I am not sure why FSP_12 did that, perhaps because of FASTOPEN.
Watch out! It can happen to you too!

PS: If Virus-Protecting programs do this, I wonder what a real virus
can do!

Sincerely,
  -turgut

----END OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----

Keith:

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (06/04/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12402538780.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) writes:
> Greg, I have forwarded the message addressed to Info-IBMPC reporting
> the problem with FSP_12 destroying files to Ross Greenberg at his
> network address: formtek!ditka!ramnet!sysop@pt.cs.cmu.edu  (this is an
> Arpanet path).

        I have sent several detailed FSP bug reports to Greenberg
        at this address, but have never received any response.

> Hopefully he will send you some communication about the bugs present
> in FSP_12 and earlier versions, as reported by Sandia National
> Laboratories.

        Greenberg's style seems to flame those who report FSP
        bugs with that arrogant "what do you expect for a lousy
        ten bucks" attitude of his.

> I suggest that Ross' email address be published in Info-IBMPC digest
> so bug reports can be sent directly to him.  I haven't had any luck in
> getting answers.

        Perhaps his surface mail address should be posted, too,
        since he doesn't appear to respond to email.  It is:

                Ross Greenberg
                Software Concepts Design
                594 3rd Avenue
                New York, New York  10016

        Personally, when Ross first asked for $10, I sent him
        a little more than that because I thought his efforts
        should be rewarded in some small way.  I'm sorry now
        that I did.  I dare say his FSP has probably caused
        more damage than the viruses it was supposed to protect
        us from.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481