[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Micro Cadam?

adf@uisc1.UUCP (Andre Franklin) (06/04/88)

In article <42900014@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, barton@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu.UUCP writes:

> A friend of my brother is wanting to do some consulting for a company
> that is using the Micro Cadam package.
> Has anybody heard of this package?  Is there any software that's
> cheaper but 100% compatible with Micro Cadam?
> The Micro Cadam compatible or
> conversion package should run on an IBM compatible type PC or PS/2.

Well, what's 100% compatible? And what does your brother want to do? Is it
the output your brother is interested in, or Cadam itself?

Last I heard there are no Micro Cadam clones around. It's quite a well-
known package here in the auto biz in Detroit.

If your brother wants to do CAD work and then submit it to his client on
floppies, there are other CAD programs out there. If Micro Cadam has the
latest version of IGES (a CAD graphics interchange standard), then he can
get almost any other good PC CAD program (AutoCAD, VersaCAD, etc) that
also have the latest IGES on it.

Now for the bad part. There are two aspects to CAD, 2-D (also known as
design) and 3-D (also known as modeling). There AutoCAD, which doesn't
have true 3-D, came out with what they called pseudo-3D.

If you have a package that can do 3D work, that of course gives you a lot
of power that you do not have with a 2D-only (or a pseudo-3D) package.
But it also means (and this may seem obvious but it's amazing how many
people either ignore or forget about it) that you cannot take 3D work
from, for example, VersaCAD, and import it into a 2D-only package, no
matter how good the conversion routine is you use.

We do a lot of CAD work for client companies, and we have found that
VersaCAD is an excellent choice. A lot of companies that subcontract
work out have accepted that most subcontractors use AutoCAD. VersaCAD
can do everything AutoCAD can do, plus lots more.

If you need more info on CAD on PC's, I would suggest you write to me
with Email, or call us at 313-978-8534 (office hours). Maybe we can
help.