[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Software Package Inoculates Disks Against Computer Viruses

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (06/06/88)

[ I'm posting this  article verbatim as  printed in the  _News Breaks_ section
  of the April  28th issue of EDN  as authored by Steven  H Leibson. The  part
  I think is  of most interest  is the  bit  about the   _Center  for Computer
  Disease   Control_.							      ]

	After  one of its computers  became infected with a destructive  virus
program  (sometimes called a Trojan horse  program), Sophco Inc  (Boulder, CO,
(303) 444-1542) added  an inoculation module to  its $195 Protec software-pro-
tection  package for  computers running  MS-DOS   version 3.0 and  higher.  An
engineer  at  the company had downloaded a  seemingly innocuous program (an X-
rated animated graphics program) from an  electronic bulletin  board to a com-
puter's hard disk.  That program contained an infectious module that installed
delayed-action routines into executable software  on the hard disk. Later, the
routines destroyed the files on the disk. [See what  having lust in your heart
will do to you?]

	Protec version 3.2 can safeguard your programs with a protective virus
program called Vaccinate, which you install in your executable files with ano-
ther program called Syringe.  The Protec system  also includes a decoy program
called Canary that you  can use to test  suspect software.  You include Canary
on a floppy disk along with the dubious software  and run the suspect program.
If the Canary  program "dies" after the suspect  program   finishes, you  know
there's a virus program on your disk.  [Anyone have any guesses how  that sup-
posed to work?] [Now here is the part I find most interesting:]

	Sophco has also  initiated the Center   for Computer Disease  Control,
which will act as a clearing house for information about such antisocial soft-
ware.

--
--==---==---==--
.. and shun the frumious Bandersnatch! ..

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) (06/06/88)

Are you sure that wasn't the 4/1 issue of EDN? (giggle, snort)

along with Syringe and Canary does it have Specimen_Cup to test
existing systems for infection?

C. Lord
cjl@ecsvax.UUCP/BITNET (look at header...)

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (06/07/88)

In article <2792@umd5.umd.edu>, cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:

> 	Sophco has also  initiated the Center   for Computer Disease  Control,
> which will act as a clearing house for information about such antisocial soft-
> ware.

A Local MSDOS Users Group hosted a panel discussion on Viruses and the
methods to protect against them... SOPHCO and the so called Disease Control
Center were asked to participate but declined...

I for one publically doubt the existance of the virus they claim to have
discovered since SEX.EXE can be found on several BBS's in a harmless,
though tasteless form!  When confronted on the phone their rep still refused
to participate in our discussion or to produce this virus in order to
confirm it was anything other than a marketing ploy.

The panel consisted of several sysops, a security expert from Storage Tek,
a computer crime lawyer and a law professor.

Not one of these experts had ever found a bonified virus and only one
could claim to have found a trojan!  The general consensus was that while
viruses might exist their occurance was far more rare than the media
hype would indicate!

It was also agreed that much of this hype is a result of advertizing from
companies claiming to have a solution to viruses... it was even proposed
that some of these viruses might originate with such companies.

Now we all know that companies which produce and market programs to protect
users against viruses and trojans are simply doing so for our benefit and
not to serve the almighty green god so....
Everyone should do their part to support the noble effort of this Center
for Computer Disease Control by placing a little black sticky "trojan"
write protect tab on every disk and keeping their green gods in their
wallet!

    Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
            {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
                              or
 SYSOP @ M.O.M. AI BBS - (303) 273-3989 - 300/1200/2400 8-N-1 24 hrs.

       *** UNIX is a philosophy, not an operating system ***
 *** BUT it is a registered trademark of AT&T, so get off my back ***