[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS 2.3 command substitution problem

txr98@wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (06/05/88)

I'm having problems with the following command using MKS 2.3 as my command
shell:

  ls command.com
  r ls ls=file

the shell says that I must "supply old=new argument".  I thought I was doing
that.  Anyone with a similar problem?
Also, what's up with the 'MKS yacc doc' that the new man pages refer to?
Does the thing exist?  Does it cost as much as support now does past the
30 day limit? I was hoping that my update kit would include better doc on
yacc, like the rest of the excellent manual - much to my dismay...
Thanks!
| Timothy Reed - American Chemical Society              |
| UUCP:   ..uunet!wash08!txr98                          |
| USMAIL: 1155 16th NW^MRoom 412^MWashington, DC 20036  |

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (06/06/88)

In article <129@wash08.UUCP>, txr98@wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) writes:
> I'm having problems with the following command using MKS 2.3 as my command
> shell:
>
>   ls command.com
>   r ls ls=file
>
> the shell says that I must "supply old=new argument".  I thought I was doing
> that.  Anyone with a similar problem?

You have the operands in the wrong order.  You have to specify the
substitutions first, then the name of the command to be rerun.  In your
example, the second command should be "r ls=file ls".  Note that, in
this particular case, the final "ls" could be omitted because we are
referring to the most recent command.

> Also, what's up with the 'MKS yacc doc' that the new man pages refer to?
> Does the thing exist?

Yes, it's being printed already.

We had to decide what to do about yacc.  We figure less than 2% of our
buyers will use it, so we didn't want to include the whole manual with
every Toolkit.  Printing and mailing costs would necessitate a greater
price.  And, the cost of a separate yacc product (like our vi and awk)
would have been much higher.  And, many people have access to yacc
documents as part of their Unix systems.  So, we're giving everybody
yacc.exe, and those who need our manual can get it at a reasonable
price.

The yacc manual is about 70 pages long, and will cost $25.  It will be
ready by the end of June, and orders can be taken any time.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

txr98@wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (06/08/88)

Thanks for the usual quick response, Gerry.  I was pretty disappointed
that more extensive doc wasn't included, but...  this is one happy MKS
user that would definitely like to purchase that doc as soon as it is
available.
BTW, I've had a bunch of stupid MKS questions since I got net access,
and Gerry has dutifully and patiently answered all of them - partly
thanks to this guy's helpful correspondence, I continue to recommend the
Toolkit to all my friends and associates.  Thanks...
| Timothy Reed - American Chemical Society              |
| UUCP:   ..uunet!wash08!txr98                          |
| USMAIL: 1155 16th NW^MRoom 412^MWashington, DC 20036  |
| VOICE:  202 872-6018                                  |