[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Public Domain/Shareware Backup Programs?

cbunjiov@wannabe.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (06/03/88)

I've been trying to find a good backup program, with no success.
I'd rather not spend the bucks on something like Fastback, but
I need a routine that will do incremental backups.

I tried CompuServe's IBM Software Forum.  The backup programs
there are rather primitive; most of them simply advise you when
you need to do the backup, not the actual work.

Perhaps there's something available on a BBS out there?

Thanks,
Charleen

/* Charleen Bunjiovianna       | Robert A. Heinlein, 1907-1988              */
/* Advanced Decision Systems   |                                            */
/* Mountain View, California   | WORK HARDER...millions on welfare are      */
/*                             | counting on you.                           */

root@yale.UUCP (Celray Stalk) (06/03/88)

A cheap and effective alternative to FASTBACK is PC-Tools Deluxe
($36 mailorder).  Not only do you get a very fast backup program, but
you get utilities which undelete files, unformat disks, test systems speeds,
munge about with files, and format disks.  Most of it can be made TSR so
you can pop it up.

						--Peter

Standard disclaimer...

guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (06/03/88)

There is a program called ARCHIVE that will work very well with any DOS

rusty@cadnetix.UUCP (06/03/88)

In article <4237@zodiac.UUCP> cbunjiov@ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
>I've been trying to find a good backup program, with no success.
>Perhaps there's something available on a BBS out there?

I am in the process of writing JUST SUCH A BEAST!   I, too had the displeasure
of needing a good incremental backup program.  Unless someone can come up
with a BETTER way, I will write it during the week I am recovering from
my operation.

Features planned:
	uses pkarc or some similar program for storing onto floppy
	allows you to keep a description of each file
	won't be confused by duplicate filenames in different directories,
		or even in the same directory.  (But I bet YOU will end
		up getting confused by it!)
	Does incremental backup
	Keeps info about all the locations/descriptions on your hard disk
		so you can search for whatever you are looking for without
		having to shove tons of disks in the drive
	Searches above info/database by name, type, description, date, etc.
	Keeps track of who is in what.
	Probably will be able to use either the dos "i've changed" flag or
		the change date as the incremental backup include decision.
	Will checksum files for even better checking on change status, if
		I figure out how to make it easy to use.

This program will be shareware.  My first experiment with shareware.

Any other things you want?  Let me know BEFORE the morning of June 9, or
it won't be worked on until long after I recover...

-----
    Rusty Carruth	N7IKQ	DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
    Cadnetix Corp.		UUCP:   cadnetix!rusty
    5775 Flatiron Pkwy.	        	{uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!rusty
    Boulder, CO 80301		(303) 444-8075

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/04/88)

In article <4237@zodiac.UUCP>, cbunjiov@wannabe.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
> I've been trying to find a good backup program, with no success.
> I tried CompuServe's IBM Software Forum.
> Perhaps there's something available on a BBS out there?

Sure there are, tons of'em. Truckloads!

Actually there are quite a bunch on Compu$erves's download libraries;
maybe you're looking in the wrong spot?

If you absolutely can't find it anywhere else, take a look at almost any
RBBS, Fidonet, or PCBoard BBS. They'll have it. Lastly, if you strike out
even there, call one of largest bbs's around: PC Rockland at 914-353-2176.
They have over 25,000 files online.

By the way, if you are willing to spend money to get files, rather than
looking at Compu$erve, take a look at GEnie. GEnie and CIS have about the
same files, but GEnie's are much better organized and files are easier to
find. GEnie is also MUCH cheaper than CIS.

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/04/88)

The GNU version of TAR has been ported to MS-DOS and seems to work fine.
It is, of course, not restricted to tape archives only (it never was)
and preserves the directory structure it archives.  A caveat in the
writeup indicates it doesn't archive gracefully across floppy disk
boundaries, however.  That sounds like a modest challenge to an MS-DOS
C programmer ...

p.s. If you add that improvement, please send me a copy.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

cga66@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Kauffold) (06/10/88)

In article <4237@zodiac.UUCP>, cbunjiov@wannabe.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
> I've been trying to find a good backup program, with no success.
> I'd rather not spend the bucks on something like Fastback, but
> I need a routine that will do incremental backups.
>
> Charleen

I recommend extreme caution.  BBS software is a leading source of destructive
"Trojan Horse"s and "viruses", plus backup software is a classic place to
imbed such things.  Not to mention the high liklihood of innocent bugs.