[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Printing problem

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (05/31/88)

I have just gotten Tex to work on my PS/2 Model 80, and have come across
a problem. The output files destined for my HP LaserJet II appear to
contain all 256 possible bytes. The "print" command and the ordinary
"copy file.jep prn:" commands refuse to print all of the file. It
worked with "copy /b file.jep prn:" , but that doesn't spool the output
like print does. Is it possible to get print to work? I expected to find
a corresponding /b option there but the manual doesn't mention it.
Anybody know about a fix for this?
Doug McDonald

mcglk@scott.stat.washington.edu (Ken McGlothlen) (06/01/88)

In article <45900131@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
+--------------
|   I have just gotten Tex to work on my PS/2 Model 80, and have come across
|   a problem. The output files destined for my HP LaserJet II appear to
|   contain all 256 possible bytes. The "print" command and the ordinary
|   "copy file.jep prn:" commands refuse to print all of the file. It
|   worked with "copy /b file.jep prn:" , but that doesn't spool the output
|   like print does. Is it possible to get print to work? I expected to find
|   a corresponding /b option there but the manual doesn't mention it.
|   Anybody know about a fix for this?
|   Doug McDonald
+---------------

Sadly, no, there is no way you can get PRINT to handle the .HP files.
I'm forced to use the COPY command myself, with the /B switch.  Oh, for
decent multitasking. . . .  About the best you can do is stick the
COPY command in a .BAT file, and take long coffee breaks.

				--Ken McGlothlen
				  mcglk@scott.ms.washington.edu
				  mcglk@max.acs.washington.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/03/88)

In article <45900131@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I have just gotten Tex to work on my PS/2 Model 80, and have come across
> a problem. The output files destined for my HP LaserJet II appear to
> contain all 256 possible bytes. The "print" command and the ordinary
> "copy file.jep prn:" commands refuse to print all of the file. It
> worked with "copy /b file.jep prn:" , but that doesn't spool the output
> like print does. Is it possible to get print to work? I expected to find
> a corresponding /b option there but the manual doesn't mention it.
> Anybody know about a fix for this?
> Doug McDonald

I posted a similar problem a while back where PRINT expands TAB characters
to blanks -- even if the TAB is part of a control sequence that shouldn't
be expanded.  I sure wish Microsoft would remember to put a /B option in
the PRINT command in the next release of DOS.

Clayton E. Cramer

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) (06/10/88)

In article <896@entropy.ms.washington.edu> mcglk@scott.ms.washington.edu (Ken McGlothlen) writes:
>Sadly, no, there is no way you can get PRINT to handle the .HP files.
>I'm forced to use the COPY command myself, with the /B switch.  Oh, for
>decent multitasking. . . .  About the best you can do is stick the
>COPY command in a .BAT file, and take long coffee breaks.
>				--Ken McGlothlen
You may wish to consider using the real print spoolers like PRINTQ. I am
sure it spools any activity to the printer, including copy.

--
Indra K. Singhal                      |                                |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |      This space for rent !     |