[comp.sys.ibm.pc] comp.sys.pc.net comp.terminals

jvvaler@deimos.ads.com (John Van Valer) (05/26/88)

I am looking for some VT100 termcaps for my Unix system to use with
several PC comm programs I have.  If you have or know of a VT100
termcap designed to work with any of the following programs, I would
appreciate it if you would send it to me or drop me a note with
information.

Here are the programs:

1. PCWorks
2. Procomm

Thanks,

John

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (06/11/88)

In article <4084@zodiac.UUCP>, jvvaler@deimos.ads.com (John Van Valer) writes:
> I am looking for some VT100 termcaps for my Unix system to use with
> several PC comm programs I have.  If you have or know of a VT100
> termcap designed to work with any of the following programs, I would
> appreciate it if you would send it to me or drop me a note with
> information.
>
> 1. PCWorks
> 2. Procomm

	You didn't state which Procomm, so I'm assuming you mean the
commercial version; otherwise you are out of luck on graphics without
some intense termcap twiddling.

	Basically, the problem is that the PCWorks and Procomm do not
correctly handle the end-of-line wrap the way a VT100 does.  Generally,
in addition, any curses packages incorrectly assume that the end of line
wrap means "ignore a line-feed at the end of a line".  You may notice that
there are TWO termcap entries for the VT100 in your termcap file -- the
normal one (d1|vt100) and another (dn|vt100-nam|vt100nam).  The second one
is for "No Automatic Margins", and is usually commented "works better with
some curses programs"... if the program you are talking to uses curses, then
you need the vt100nam entry.  It is simply lacking the "am" attribute.

	As far as default options, your low-end emulators will handle the
end of lines incorrectly.  To fix, you must modify the xnwrap attribute
"xn".  Note that if you do this, your vt100 termcap will NOT work with a
good emulator or a real vt100 or most terminals that emulate a vt100 (such
as the wyse-75 or any vt200+ series terminals).  You are better off modifying
the termcap file by copying the termcap entry for the vt100 and naming it
"procomm" or "pcworks" and leaving the real vt100 stuff alone.

	If you are really on a UNIX system (not a Xenix system), it is
likely that you will have to modify the terminfo entry (in /usr/lib/terminfo)
for the appropriate terminal.  For your normal vt100, this is located in the
file /usr/lib/terminfo/v/vt100 or /usr/lib/terminfo/v/vt100-nam.  Unfortunately
for you, AT&T generally does not release source for these files, and they are
"compiled" with a program called "tic" (Term Info Compiler) into a tokenized
format.  You will have to contact the company that made your UNIX to get the
source so that you can fix it.  Again, I suggest you call it something other
than "vt100" or "vt100-nam", or you will break working terminals.

	The biggest problem is that a lot of people use "ansi" as their
terminal type... the problem is that, while a VT100 or a correct emulation is
an ANSI terminal, the "ansi" console on most of the AT's running UNIX/Xenix
are NOT ANSI.  Make SURE you specify VT100 to the UNIX system.  Remember that
VT100's have 24 lines and the "ansi" consoles on most of these beasts have 25;
if you use "ansi", you're likely to stick on the 25th line instead of scrolling
normally.

			- OR -

	You could get a good terminal emulator instead :-).

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Signatures; it's not how long you make them, it's how you make them long!' |