[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Super EGA cards survey?

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (06/10/88)

I'm interested in the speed and compatability of several Super EGA Display
Cards (480 x 640  and  600 x 800).

Speed -- characters/sec .
         A few weeks back someone (sorry, forgot who) mentioned AWARDSST.ARC
         on Simtel20's pd1:<msdos.sysutl> .  I tried it on a monochrome
         TrueBlue, and saw 2404 cps. I'm curious to know how EGA Wonder, Video
         7 and other high-resolution cards do. If you have access to AWARDSST
         (not certain about its accuracy, but does it matter?) and to one
         or more of these wondercards, please post you findings.

Compatability. Not easy to characterized.
         But read the revision history of MicroEmacs and you'll find about
         problems with the cursor in 43-lines mode. I tried it -- its true...
         E.g. Everex's MicroEnhancer Deluxe can display, on a multisync, in
         various emulation modes. In many of them the cursor goes to neverland.
         Have you encountered similar problems with other popular software/card
         combinations?

Perhaps we should keep a scoreboard.  comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc keeps one for
tcp/ip implementations...

--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (06/10/88)

In article <5802@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>I'm interested in the speed and compatability of several Super EGA Display
>Cards (480 x 640  and  600 x 800).
>
>Speed -- characters/sec .
>         A few weeks back someone (sorry, forgot who) mentioned AWARDSST.ARC
>         on Simtel20's pd1:<msdos.sysutl> .  I tried it on a monochrome
>         TrueBlue, and saw 2404 cps. I'm curious to know how EGA Wonder, Video
>         7 and other high-resolution cards do. If you have access to AWARDSST
>         (not certain about its accuracy, but does it matter?) and to one
>         or more of these wondercards, please post you findings.
>--
>  Neta Amit
>  U of Minnesota CSci
>  Arpanet: amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

ATI EGA Wonder:
		enabled		disabled
M80		1721cps		2970/2913cps
C80		1741cps		2970cps
CE80		1741cps		2970cps

Zenith:  990cps

I just ran AWARDSST Version 1.0 on an ATI EGA Wonder v 2.0 (not sure of BIOS
version) and (for comparison) a Zenith Z-171 laptop with built-in CGA emulator.
I tried the ATI board in a 10 MHz 0WS 80286, though that shouldn't make a diff.
The Zenith is 4.77MHz ?WS 8088.  I tried the EGA Wonder board in all three
major modes (Mono, Cga, and Colour Enhanced, M80, C80, and CE80 respectively).
I tried each with and without the "advanced features" enabled.  The speed for
each mode was the same except for mono mode.  Mono was slower in enabled, and
gave two different speeds running the test successively in disabled mode.

I think it would be useful to collect all these speeds and post a summary for
SIMTEL20 or something similar.

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1           pre1@sphinx.UChicago.edu

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (06/10/88)

SLOOOOOOWWWW down, folks!!!! [See below]

In article <4364@sphinx.uchicago.edu> pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
>In article <5802@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>>I'm interested in the speed and compatability of several Super EGA Display
>>Cards (480 x 640  and  600 x 800).

>>Speed -- characters/sec .
>>   A few weeks back someone (sorry, forgot who) mentioned AWARDSST.ARC
>>   on Simtel20's pd1:<msdos.sysutl> .  I tried it on a monochrome
>>   TrueBlue, and saw 2404 cps. I'm curious to know how EGA Wonder, Video
>>   7 and other high-resolution cards do. If you have access to AWARDSST
>>   (not certain about its accuracy, but does it matter?) and to one
>>   or more of these wondercards, please post you findings.

>ATI EGA Wonder [on 10 MHz/0w.s. AT, unknown BIOS]:
>	       [enh feat	enh feat]
>		enabled		disabled
>M80		1721cps		2970/2913cps
>C80		1741cps		2970cps
>CE80		1741cps		2970cps

>Zenith [Z171]:  990cps

>I think it would be useful to collect all these speeds and post a summary for
>SIMTEL20 or something similar.

Hold on here! If you run a lot of tests on a lot of machines, as I have,
you'll find that there are more variables making up the SST performance
result than you can shake a stick at! Just a few that come to mind:

	- Graphics card, BIOS version on the card, video mode
	- CPU speed, wait states (on ROM and RAM access), and RAM refresh
		interrupt overhead
	- DOS BIOS type and version (Phoenix, Award, DTK, etc etc)
	- Caching of BIOSes (DOS? Video? Both? it matters!) from ROM into
		shadow RAM (usually on a '386 machine)
	- Plus, individual runs will vary their result, as seen in the
		first numbers posted above. I think the granularity of
		the SST timing is probably one time-of-day clock tick,
		which is rather loose (still very useful, but loose).

What to do? Well, on any given machine, the RELATIVE speeds of different
setups are consistent, and seem to carry over from machine to machine.
If somebody wants to collect results, they should accumulate relative
speeds (board X is 1.5 times faster in mode A than mode B; board Y is
2 times faster than board Z on the same machine, etc). The Zenith laptop
number given above is pretty useless, since there is nothing to compare
it with *on the same machine*.

The best you can do with these numbers if you aren't comparing relative
speeds under controlled conditions (only changing one of the variables)
is that you can say 'setup X has faster video performance than setup Y'.
In order to duplicate somebody's results, you're going to have to duplicate
their entire setup, computer, BIOS, and all!

Just as an example, I know somebody with an ATI EGA wonder running on a
'386 machine. They get 700 cps out of SST. YUCK! I know that if you put
an Everex Microenhancer Deluxe in a 0 wait state 16 MHz '386 machine running
Phoenix or Award BIOS and with shadow RAM, you'll get around 15000 cps.
Even more if you use the Wizard Deluxe card (fastest EGA card I know of).
Obviously, this tells me that there's something wrong with my friend's
SYSTEM. Not necessarily his VIDEO BOARD! So far, we've brought his SST
number up to 3000 by switching from backfilled 16 bit RAM to 32 bit RAM,
and adding shadow RAM for the BIOSes. The hint given in the posted results
above tells me I should check to see if Enhanced Features are enabled or
not. I also happen to know that his machine is running at 16 MHz with
2-3 wait states. He's not going to get much better performance no matter
what with all those wait states! The throughput is *very much* affected
by BIOS access speed.

I don't have hard numbers handy, but I can tell you the following:

BIOSes: Phoenix and Award are both fast; DTK is much slower. Don't know
		how they compare to others.

Boards: Mono-only and CGA-only boards are all much faster than EGA or normal
		VGA boards.
	Everex and Wizard are the fastest EGA boards I've seen. Generic
		EGA boards are next (much slower). EGA Wonder and other
		cards with extensive emulation are slowest (I think their
		BIOSes have to do a lot more work).
	Enhanced VGA cards with VRAM are supposedly the fastest cards of all.
		I haven't seen one yet, but Video 7 claims their board will
		run with no wait states at all on video access. We'll see!
	Non-VRAM enhanced VGA cards are not as fast as fast EGA cards. I
		guess they just have too much emulation work to do, like the
		EGA wonder. I've tried Paradise, Everex, Orchid. I've never
		touched a PS/x, so I don't know how they compare.

My recommendation, if enhanced EGA is as good as you need, or even if normal
EGA is what you need, is to get the Everex MicroEnhancer Deluxe, or the
Wizard Deluxe (costs a little more than the Everex). You can get the
Everex, with centronics port, for <$150US if you look. Both cards come with
AutoCAD and Windows drivers for their hi-res modes. Ventura Publisher/GEM
drivers are also available for both.

If your system isn't getting much speed out of the SST test, check your
BIOS. Some of the Taiwan clone BIOSes (esp. DTK) are real DOGS. If you have
a '386 machine, use shadow RAM to get your BIOS code running faster. You'll
be amazed at the difference!

Have fun folks!

Pete

P.S.: If you know somebody (maybe you?) who is located in the southern
	S.F. bay area and who has access to a logic analyzer, I'd like to
	hear from you. I need to borrow one overnight to solve a problem
	in some volunteer work I'm doing [my job: spend as little time as
	possible earning $$$ so I can spend as much time as possible doing
	volunteer stuff!]
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

herman@marlin.NOSC.MIL (John W. Herman) (06/12/88)

--
In article <5802@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>I'm interested in the speed and compatability of several Super EGA Display
>      .
>      .
>      .
>Perhaps we should keep a scoreboard.  comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc keeps one for
>tcp/ip implementations...

Maybe we should think about a scoreboard for more than just graphics cards.
We cannot possible live long enough to test all this hardware/software
ourselves.
--
John Herman    ARPA:  herman@marlin.nosc.mil

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (06/12/88)

Well, if accuracy is called for, I'll clarify:
I tested an Everex MicroEnhancer Deluxe EV-657 v.2 "Super EGA" display
card in a 12MHz 0 ws machine (RAM speed 80nsec), equipped with Pheonix
BIOS v. 3.07K.

According to Pete Holtzman, this setup should result in several thousand
CPS.   I (SST) measured 393 CPS in all modes.  Comments, please?

--

dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) (06/14/88)

In article <248@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
> [ discussion of display speed (in chars/sec) on various EGA cards ]
> If your system isn't getting much speed out of the SST test, check your
> BIOS. Some of the Taiwan clone BIOSes (esp. DTK) are real DOGS.

The IBM BIOSes I've seen listings of do an amazing amount of busywork
to display characters, and are therefore slow.
For this reason, most professional programs simply bypass BIOS when writing
to the screen.
Users of such programs will see NO difference in speed between slow
and fast BIOSes.

Device drivers like NANSI.SYS and FANSI-CONSOLE bypass BIOS, too,
and take care of all the nasty details of bypassing BIOS for you.
--
  Dan Kegel   "Take this job..."
  srs!dan@cs.rochester.edu  rochester!srs!dan dan%srs.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu