[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Faster Serial Ports... How can I?

luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) (05/31/88)

I recently purchased a TELEBIT Trailblazer Plus, and am using it on my
AT Clone until I can get my Unix system.  After getting the modem, I noticed
that my communications package, GT-COMM (Ver. 12.10), only supported up
to 9600 baud, and was told my someone that DOS could only handle up to
9600 Baud..  I hate having a modem that has to wait for my system when
I logon at 19.2k!!  So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around
the 'problem'?  Is there a software package out that supports 19.2k on an
AT?  For that matter, will the AT even support 19.2k?

Any help is highly appreciated!!  Please reply via E-mail, since I usually
don't have time to read all the messages in comp.sys.ibm.pc... Thank You..

Luis Chanu  /  Awesome Possum         "Live every day as if it were your last,
                                         because one day you will be right."
UUCP: ...ihnp4!sun!aeras!grinch!luis                            -Benny Hill
UUCP: ...pyramid!wjvax!grinch!luis
              Disk-Claimer: That's not your disk, that's my disk.

sarb@spked.UUCP (Systems Integator Takhar) (06/09/88)

In article <302@grinch.grinch.UUCP>, luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) writes:
> I recently purchased a TELEBIT Trailblazer Plus, and am using it on my
> AT Clone until I can get my Unix system.  After getting the modem, I noticed
> that my communications package, GT-COMM (Ver. 12.10), only supported up
> to 9600 baud, and was told my someone that DOS could only handle up to
> I logon at 19.2k!!  So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around
> the 'problem'?  Is there a software package out that supports 19.2k on an
> AT?  For that matter, will the AT even support 19.2k?

Procomm will support 19200 baud rates if your AT as fast enough to keep up
with it ... most of the newer clones have no problem running a comm port
at that high speed.

Sarb

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/10/88)

In article <302@grinch.grinch.UUCP>, luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) writes:
> I recently purchased a TELEBIT Trailblazer Plus, and am using it on my
> AT Clone until I can get my Unix system.  After getting the modem, I noticed
> that my communications package, GT-COMM (Ver. 12.10), only supported up
> to 9600 baud, and was told my someone that DOS could only handle up to
> 9600 Baud..  I hate having a modem that has to wait for my system when
> I logon at 19.2k!!  So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around
> the 'problem'?  Is there a software package out that supports 19.2k on an
> AT?  For that matter, will the AT even support 19.2k?
>
> Any help is highly appreciated!!  Please reply via E-mail, since I usually
> don't have time to read all the messages in comp.sys.ibm.pc... Thank You..
> Luis Chanu  /  Awesome Possum         "Live every day as if it were your last,

Yes indeed, the AT will support 19.2K -- DOS is the obstacle.  Mark of the
Unicorn sells a VT100 emulator that supports 19200 baud on PC/XT/AT.  I
expect a fair number of other terminal emulators are this smart.

I've even seen, a couple of years ago, an example of file transfer at
57600 baud from BASIC, involving PEEK and POKE statements.  (Alas,
Microsoft BASIC has the best built-in RS-232 support of any high-level
language on the PC).

Clayton E. Cramer

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (06/10/88)

Realia VT-Termulator does pretty well at 19.2 KB even on a PC.
It's mostly a matter of programming.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (06/10/88)

In article <208@spked.UUCP> sarb@spked.UUCP (Systems Integator Takhar) writes:
>> Is there a software package out that supports 19.2k on an AT?  For
>>that matter, will the AT even support 19.2k?
>
>Procomm will support 19200 baud rates if your AT as fast enough to keep up
>with it ... most of the newer clones have no problem running a comm port
>at that high speed.

I've run MS-Kermit at 19.2K on my ordinary old PC - 4.77 MHz.  No problems
at all.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (06/10/88)

In article <302@grinch.grinch.UUCP> luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) writes:
...I recently purchased a TELEBIT Trailblazer Plus, and am using it on my
...the 'problem'?  Is there a software package out that supports 19.2k on an
...AT?  For that matter, will the AT even support 19.2k?

Try Pro-YAM from Omen Technology.  Far superior to anything on the
market, except in its user interface.  The author is Chuck Forsberg,
reachable at reed!omen!caf.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/12/88)

The maximum speed without dropping characters depends on many factors.
Terminal emulators differ in their speed, especially when scrolling or
decoding and executing escape sequences.  Pro-YAM and its shareware
cousin ZCOMM are among the fastest and most accurate in VT10x emulation.

The actual max speed also depends on the operating system, device
drivers, and TSR programs.  Professional-YAM on a PC XT can download
files or display screenfulls at 19200 bps without losing any characters
when run under DOS 2.1.  Under DOS 3.x, a few characters are lost, about
one in a hundred thousand.  When writing to certain disk systems,
characters can be lost at 2400 bps!  Emulation modes of trick EGA/VGA
cards are almost as bad.

Replacing the 8250 or 16450 UART ships with the new National NS16550AN
allows Pro-YAM to activate a 16 deep FIFO register.  This increases the
allowable interrupt latency by almost an order of magnitude.  It is
possible to send data to Pro-YAM at 115kb using ZMODEM, and get a
throughput of 70000-90000 bps; with an ordinary chip, the interrupt
latency caused by extended memory ramdisks causes data loss above 9600
bps.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (06/15/88)

In article <703@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Try Pro-YAM from Omen Technology.  Far superior to anything on the
>market, except in its user interface.  The author is Chuck Forsberg,
>reachable at reed!omen!caf.

I agree on the kudos for Pro-YAM, but for others contemplating purchase
of Pro-YAM, don't let the user interface comments scare you off. No,
Pro-YAM isn't PROCOMM or Xtalk. It is not menu driven, and it doesn't
have pull-down/pop-up menus. It *is* fully programmable using a C-like
language that allows you to do just about anything you want in regards
to automated callings and session handling. I have built a 48-entry
calling menu with complete login scripts for each of the entries. The
scripts are callable via unique names, and can be set up to handle
terminal characteristics, logfile names, screen colors, password
encryption, and so on.

If you can program in C, Pascal, or programmable shells, you can handle
Pro-YAM's script language.

I apologize for the length of this posting, but I have seen several
magazine articles and USENET postings regarding YAM's user interface
(or lack thereof) and wanted to do a little record straightening. The
program definitely has a serious case of 'Make what you want of it.'
Five different YAM users will most likely have five different custom
interfaces, and therein lies the beauty.

--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the