[comp.sys.ibm.pc] nukes

david@squid.UUCP (06/07/88)

From squid!david Mon Jun  6 22:33 CDT 1988 remote from occrsh
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 88 22:33:14 CDT
Subject: nukes

** NEW Add-Ons for the IBM **

Single board Nuclear Reactor supplies stand-by power for 12 years! Now
available  on a full-length plug-in card for the IBM,  or  compatible,
the  QBX-1  nuclear reactor card provides back-up power for up  to  12
years. When the card senses a power failure, explosive charges (bolts)
eject  moderator  and  control rods from the reactor interior,  within
20mmsecs,  bringing the reactor to it's fully rated output of 20Kw, in
less than one (1)  millisecond!  Over it's 12  year active life,   the
reactor's power decreases by 25%,  to 15Kw. Integral heat fans provide
convection  cooling of the reactor's 500W power dissapation while  the
reactor  remains  in "stand-by"  position.  If  your  computer  cannot
furnish  the  400ft per second of forced air  for  cooling,   consider
buying  the  manufacturer's heavy-water cooling jacket  and  stainless
steel pump module, which fits conveniently under a desk, or workbench.
Latches  on each side of the reactor module let you quickly  swap  the
radioactive core,  should you need to replace it. An optional circular
viewing  port  of  lead glass lets you  view  the  reactor's  internal
assemblies,  &  also functions as a ten  (1O)  million  candlepower
nightlight.

To protect users from undue radiation,  each card contains a shielding
kit,  comprised  of  five  (5)  self-adhesive lead  plates,  and  20
radiation-monitoring film badges.  The lead plates mount to the inside
of  your computer enclosure,  insuring the reduction of harmful  gamma
rays,  which cause soft errors to floppy disks and RAM data.  For more
protection,  consider  the manufacturer's 200'  extension  cords  for
monitors and keyboards.

Because  the card can supply more than enough power for  the  standard
computing  station,  you can sell the excess power  to  your  utility
company,  as provided by law. An add-on phasing and metering kit (PMK-
1)  lets you connect your reactor to the local power grid.  Each PMK-1
kit  includes standard power sale contracts and Rural  Electrification
Board rules & regulations.

Although not required everywhere, each reactor includes a standard 23-
volume site evacuation plan.  The plan includes forms, to allow you to
register  the name and address of your reactor site with  the  Nuclear
Regulatory Commission.  As an option,  the seller supplies the plan on
MS-DOS  compatible  diskettes,  in  Wordstar  format.    User-friendly
templates  let  you type in the data allowing your word  processor  to
create a complete, printed document.

Reactor prices start at twelve (12) million dollars (US). Please allow
six  (6)  years  for  delivery.  (Prices  do  NOT  reflect  union
considerations, or include cost over-runs.)

Please  mail your cashier's check,  or money order,  with  payment  in
full, to: Nukes R Us, P.O. Box U-235, White Sands, NM 43210

(shamelessly stolen from the TECH echo)

--- Sirius 0.50
 * Origin: Best of both worlds: ihnp4!occrsh!squid!david aka (1:19/1)

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (06/08/88)

In article <141900034@occrsh.ATT.COM> david@squid.UUCP writes:

>** NEW Add-Ons for the IBM **
>
>Single board Nuclear Reactor supplies stand-by power for 12 years! Now
>available  on a full-length plug-in card for the IBM,  or  compatible,
>Reactor prices start at twelve (12) million dollars (US). Please allow
>six  (6)  years  for  delivery.

For those who are interested and need theirs cheap and _now_, I understand
that the Long Island Lighting Company is selling a one in
like-new condition.  Even higher power than the twelve KW unit above.
Current bidding stands at $1.00.  You have to adapt it yourself for
computer mounting, however.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (06/10/88)

> For those who are interested and need theirs cheap and _now_, I understand
> that the Long Island Lighting Company is selling a one in
> like-new condition.  Even higher power than the twelve KW unit above.
> Current bidding stands at $1.00.  You have to adapt it yourself for
> computer mounting, however.

I understand that the Shoreham Plant comes with incomplete documentation,
though, especially regarding the evacuation plan.

If you don't mind a little assembly, the Northern Indiana Public Service
Corp., and Public Service Indiana each have a partially assembled device
going cheap.

David

-----
David C. Sehr
Center for Supercomputing Research and Development
305 Talbot Lab
104 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801-2932

Internet, BITNET:  sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
UUCP:    {ihnp4,uunet,convex}!uiucuxc!uicsrd!sehr
ARPANET: sehr%uicsrd@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:   sehr%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/13/88)

In article <42900015@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> > For those who are interested and need theirs cheap and _now_, I understand
> > that the Long Island Lighting Company is selling a one in
> > like-new condition.  Even higher power than the twelve KW unit above.
> > Current bidding stands at $1.00.  You have to adapt it yourself for
> > computer mounting, however.
>
> I understand that the Shoreham Plant comes with incomplete documentation,
> though, especially regarding the evacuation plan.

Oh, let's face it, who needs evacuation? You won't live forever anyway. :-)

steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) (06/15/88)

in article <42900015@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu says:

> If you don't mind a little assembly, the Northern Indiana Public Service
> Corp., and Public Service Indiana each have a partially assembled device
> going cheap.

   And for you oem's who need power supplies Hanford, Washington and The
   Wpps Consortium are offering bulk discounts.  Four partially
   assembled units and one burnt-in system.

--
 Hep me, Hep me, Hep me.....
 {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

crscott@sdrc.UUCP (Scott_Klosterman) (06/16/88)

In article <3322@dad.UUCP>, steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
> in article <42900015@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu says:
> >
> > If you don't mind a little assembly, the Northern Indiana Public Service
> > Corp., and Public Service Indiana each have a partially assembled device
> > going cheap.
>
>    And for you oem's who need power supplies Hanford, Washington and The
>    Wpps Consortium are offering bulk discounts.  Four partially
>    assembled units and one burnt-in system.

     At Moscow by Cincy we have a completely assembled non-functional
     nuclear power supply with a partially assembed somewhat converted
     coal fired plant which is'nt working. Since their both part of
     the same non-functional power plant, and we don't have any use
     for electricity since we have discoved fire, I'm sure you could
     get a great two for one deal.

                                                           sk