[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using WordPerfect with Apple LaserWriter

karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) (06/13/88)

A customer (with a PC) is writing a manual using WordPerfect Version 4.2,
and attempting to print the resulting output on my Apple Laser Writer (using
Postscript).

The preface to the file he uploaded appears as:

	% WordPerfect Virtual Printer Interface Program Version 1.00
	% A PostScript program to emulate a simple Microspace printer
	% (C)Copyright 1986 WordPerfect Corporation - All Rights Reserved

After stripping off the extra carriage returns (^Ms) and sending everything
to the Laser printer, I either get a blank page, or everything in ascii.

Adding the "%!" string on the first line doesn't help any either.

He's also trying to be able to print all sorts of graphics (that come across
in the range of 128 .. 255).  He's using kermit, and I don't think anything
has been damaged in transit.

Anybody else succeeded with this situation?  Thanks.

-- Karl --

Karl A. Nyberg          karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Grebyn Corporation                  karl%grebyn.com@umd5.umd.edu
P. O. Box 1144                         {decuac,umd5}!grebyn!karl
Vienna, VA 22180-1144                               703-281-2194

gdj5t@krebs.acc.Virginia.EDU (Glenn Jones) (06/15/88)

In article <10912@grebyn.COM> karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
>A customer (with a PC) is writing a manual using WordPerfect Version 4.2,
>and attempting to print the resulting output on my Apple Laser Writer (using
>Postscript).
>
>The preface to the file he uploaded appears as:
>
>	% WordPerfect Virtual Printer Interface Program Version 1.00
>	% A PostScript program to emulate a simple Microspace printer
>	% (C)Copyright 1986 WordPerfect Corporation - All Rights Reserved
>
>After stripping off the extra carriage returns (^Ms) and sending everything
>to the Laser printer, I either get a blank page, or everything in ascii.
>
>Adding the "%!" string on the first line doesn't help any either.
>
>He's also trying to be able to print all sorts of graphics (that come across
>in the range of 128 .. 255).  He's using kermit, and I don't think anything
>has been damaged in transit.
>
>Anybody else succeeded with this situation?  Thanks.
>
>-- Karl --
>
>Karl A. Nyberg          karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
>Grebyn Corporation                  karl%grebyn.com@umd5.umd.edu
>P. O. Box 1144                         {decuac,umd5}!grebyn!karl
>Vienna, VA 22180-1144                               703-281-2194

Yes, I worked this problem out over a year ago.  First of all, let me suggest
that you upgrade to version 5.0 of WordPerfect.  It's definately worth it!
WP50 works MUCH MUCH better with the LaserWriter: easy font changes (sizes
and styles), kerning, proportional spacing, and either portrait or landscape
printing.  I understand that Word Perfect Corp. is working on a new LaserWriter
driver to fix a few MINOR bugs. As with ver 4.2, however, I do still have to
add the "%!" to the top of the print file before sending it to the printer.
I don't know why WordPerfect doesn't do that!

As for getting ver. 4.2 to work:
- Get WP to send you a new LaserWriter driver.  There is a required file,
  PSCRIPT.PS, whose first line is
    % WordPerfect Virtual Printer Interface Program Version 2.12
  This file becomes the preface to each "print file".
- Add the "%!" (once) to the top of the PSCRIPT.PS file, or to the "print file"
  before each file transfer.
- Use the "binary" mode of kermit to transfer the file.
- I never could get some of the special characters to print correctly.

I hope this is helpful, but your best bet is to get ver. 5 !!!

Glen Jones
U.Va. Biochem Dept., Box 440  >	UUCP: ...!uunet!virginia!gdj5t
Charlottesville, VA 22908     > BITNET: gdj5t@virginia.BITNET
(804) 924-2373		      >	CSNET: gdj5t@acc.virginia.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/17/88)

In article <211@galen.acc.virginia.edu>, gdj5t@krebs.acc.Virginia.EDU (Glenn Jones) writes:
> Yes, I worked this problem out over a year ago.  First of all, let me suggest
> that you upgrade to version 5.0 of WordPerfect.  It's definately worth it!
> WP50 works MUCH MUCH better with the LaserWriter: easy font changes (sizes
> and styles), kerning, proportional spacing, and either portrait or landscape
> printing.  I understand that Word Perfect Corp. is working on a new LaserWriter
> driver to fix a few MINOR bugs. As with ver 4.2, however, I do still have to
> add the "%!" to the top of the print file before sending it to the printer.
> I don't know why WordPerfect doesn't do that!
>
> Glen Jones

The "%!" at the top of a PostScript file is not required by the PostScript
interpreter, but it is a convention that Adobe encourages people to use.
The problem is that some networked configurations expect the "%!" as a
clue that the following lines are PostScript, not ASCII.  Leave it off,
and your print server is likely to assume an ASCII file.  (Stupid, stupid,
stupid).

Microsoft Word for the PC also has a problem in this area.

Clayton E. Cramer