[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need decoder/encoder source to transfer binaries

andrew@nsc.nsc.com (Andrew Lue) (06/17/88)

Does anyone know of programs which can encode and decode binaries?
If you do, please tell me where I can retrieve the source.

UUDECODE and UUENCODE won't help because I need to transfer binaries
between VMS and UNIX systems.  FTP doesn't work well. We've had problems
with Kermit, too.

Why am I transfering binaries between these systems, you query?
I'm cross-compiling for a Series 32000-based target, and I have the
cross development tools on both hosts.  Sometimes the load on one machine
is just too heavy, so I want to transfer some of the work to the other machine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Andrew H. Lue                                          {decwrl|sun}!nsc!andrew

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (06/17/88)

In article <5175@nsc.nsc.com>, andrew@nsc.nsc.com (Andrew Lue) writes:

> Does anyone know of programs which can encode and decode binaries?
> If you do, please tell me where I can retrieve the source.
>
> UUDECODE and UUENCODE won't help because I need to transfer binaries
> between VMS and UNIX systems.  FTP doesn't work well. We've had problems
> with Kermit, too.

uudecode and uuencode will work just fine, if they didn't, the net
would be in trouble.  you may also consider using atob and btoa from
the news distribution.  they may work better for you.

ftp should also work just fine, assuming you aren't running ftp on
a dec-20 or something else strange, just set the sucker into binary
mode and away you go.  i use ftp to copy entire directory trees of
database files without a hitch.

kermit is also a wonderful little tool, so long as you remember to
put it into binary mode, or use uu(en|de)code on it first.  i have
transfer vms binaries to zenith z-100's before using kermit, many,
many years ago (when i believe vax/vms ruled the universe ;-)

i suggest you work out the problems with the tools you have before
going out and getting some more tools you'll have trouble with.

- john.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune