[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.0 Upgrade...possible?

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (06/16/88)

Anyone know how to get, or even if there is, an upgrade of WordPerfect
4.2 to 5.0 and how much it costs?  I have been calling them for the
past month but *always* get put on hold permanently?

Please reply by e-mail, if possible.  TIA!

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (06/17/88)

In article <20312@beta.lanl.gov> dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) writes:
}Anyone know how to get, or even if there is, an upgrade of WordPerfect
}4.2 to 5.0 and how much it costs?  I have been calling them for the
}past month but *always* get put on hold permanently?

If you're on their mailing list you should have recieved their newsletter
which gives the details.  The upgrade costs $65.  Just tear out the
copyright page of your 4.2 manual and send it in with your check.

I have also been trying to call them to ask some questions about 5.0 and
keep getting a busy signal (once I got through and was put on eternal hold).
I wonder why the memory requirements jumped from 256K to 512K.  It's
probably because of the new graphics/desktop publishing features, but do
you really need 512K of available RAM to run WP 5.0 if your not using those
features?  I also wonder if the graphics work on a CGA compatible monitor
(AT&T PC6300 monitor, specifically).   Anyone have an answer to these
questions?
--

Paul Dubuc	cbnews!pmd

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (06/18/88)

There's definitely an upgrade arrangement.  I think the cost is $ 50.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (06/18/88)

[Responder to prior posting about Word Perfect upgrade 5.0 wanted
to know if graphics ran on CGA board]
Word Perfect 5.0's graphics work on my  CGA board (Plantronics
Colorplus).  However using Hercules Ramfont, or even using Word
Perfect's download EGA character set, you can show additional
attributes (such as underlining) on the screen.

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27712

frank@isrnix.UUCP (Frank Burleigh) (06/19/88)

In article <16800303@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>There's definitely an upgrade arrangement.  I think the cost is $ 50.
>

>			Mike Berger

the wordperfect 5.0 upgrade is $60 and available from:
   wordperfect corp (800/321-4566)
   288 west center street
   orem, ut  84057

if you write for the upgrade, giving your plastic #, etc., they will
want your wp 4.x manual front page and serial number, and system,
diskette and keyboard style.  the program does work with cga.  it
requires 384k, but they recommend 512k.  they also suggest a fixed disk.

--
 Frank C. Burleigh
 Institute for Social Research - Indiana University - Bloomington, IN 47405

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (06/20/88)

}>
}
}the wordperfect 5.0 upgrade is $60 and available from:
}   wordperfect corp (800/321-4566)
}   288 west center street
}   orem, ut  84057
}
}if you write for the upgrade, giving your plastic #, etc., they will
}want your wp 4.x manual front page and serial number, and system,
}diskette and keyboard style.  the program does work with cga.  it
}requires 384k, but they recommend 512k.  they also suggest a fixed disk.

Thanks for the info.  In an earlier article, I said that the upgrade price
was $65.  I was wrong.  $60 is the correct price according to the latest
WP Corp. Newsletter.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.

--

Paul Dubuc	cbnews!pmd