[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Phil Katz VERSUS SEAWARE

kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Kenn Stump) (06/18/88)

     To all those who are in favor of Phil Katz in his current battle,
flame SEAWARE.  I Like PKARC & PKXARC, and other PKstuff, to the point
of writing this message.

SEAWARE's ARC & XARC progs were really almost TOO slow to be useful.
(lest an AT compatible critter be used)  As someone said earlier,
Phil's PKARC & PKXARC have more features than SEAWARE's ARC.

Don't let good software be downtrodden by jealous competitors..

And, at the risk of sounding extremely tacky, Vote for Phil Katz.
A vote for a better tomorrow filled with better software.

(It sounded tacky alright!)

					     Flames Anyone?

   kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu <=- U decide -=> hp-pcd!orstcs!jacobs!kenns

   I *should* get the mail, mailers willing..

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/20/88)

What does this battle have to do with whether PKARC is faster than ARC?

Unless SEA didn't make up the name 'ARC' there's one very clear point
in this matter.  If you want to compete with a program called 'ARC' then
you can't call your competitor "your-initals"ARC.

(Perhaps SEA didn't originate their trademark, or didn't use it properly
or protect it properly.  Let the judge decide that.)

Perhaps I should make a clone, which I will call the BTIBM PS/2 Model 50
and put my new spreadsheet, BTLotus 1-2-3 on it!

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
		"USENET -- the world's least important network."

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/20/88)

In article <5162@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Kenn Stump) writes:

|      To all those who are in favor of Phil Katz in his current battle,
| flame SEAWARE.  I Like PKARC & PKXARC, and other PKstuff, to the point
| of writing this message.

  What has that got to do with the lawsuit? If PK took some of SEAware's
intellectual property, or used some of their trademerks, it's unfair
even if you like, or I like, or the POPE likes it.

  If ARC is a trademark (the program name, not the file type), then
there may be a misuse of the trademark.  If there is any validity to
look and feel the menus may be an infringement.  It doesn't matter who
thinks look and feel is stupid or great, the law matters.  Again, the
look and feel of the directory listings are very similar.

  I personally feel that PK did some things which were not morally
justified (regardless of the law).  He used a lot of the look and feel
of ARC, he used the .arc filename, and he made the default of his
program be incompatible with the original arc program.  I believe he did
this to make money.  Certainly creating files which ARC can't unarc
makes SEAware look bad.  At least ARC has an error message "You need a
newer version of ARC," while PKARC says "corrupted archive," implying
that if pkarc doesn't know how to read it it's no good.  While SEAware
released their source code to the world, PK guards his carefully, and
the only way you can handle a pkarc on UNIX or Amiga (or wherever) seems
to be to use an enhanced version of SEA's arc.

  Before anyone trys to tell me that look and feel doesn't apply because
there's no other way to do it, let me say this: hogwash! Rahul Dhesi did
it with zoo, new commands, new user interface, lots of features not in
arc or pkarc. New file format, too, so people wouldn't be confused. Dean
Cooper did it with DWC. New file format and features, and of course a
new file format. The source code for both of these is available, and
both are within five percent of the speed of pkarc under DOS (not always
slower, either), and have about the same compression.

  I was very pleased with pkarc when it first came out, it was faster
and compatible. I assumed the source would be forthcoming. I was wrong.
Of course SEAware has a number of other fine products, such as SEAlink,
and Thom Henderson has given away lots of source code. I forget the
names of PKware's other products and where to get source...

  Why don't we stop arguing about moral grounds here and concentrate on
the legal issues; did pkarc take something from SEAware which is
protected by law? If he did they he should pay. Given the behavior of
the two companies, I believe that it's easy to identify one company
which has taken the "let's make a few bucks from this neat thing," and
one which has done some blatently commercial things. The court will
decide, not the net.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (06/22/88)

davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  I personally feel that PK did some things which were not morally
>justified (regardless of the law).  He used a lot of the look and feel
>of ARC, he used the .arc filename, and he made the default of his
>program be incompatible with the original arc program.  I believe he did
>this to make money.  Certainly creating files which ARC can't unarc
>makes SEAware look bad.	[...]

Running lots faster than ARC makes SEAware look bad.  I'm not really
impressed that they've taken to distributing Buerg's ARCE -- does this
mean that SEA is no longer supporting their own software, but is
abandoning it to third parties?

>			 [...]  At least ARC has an error message "You need a
>newer version of ARC," while PKARC says "corrupted archive," implying
>that if pkarc doesn't know how to read it it's no good.  While SEAware
>released their source code to the world, PK guards his carefully, and
>the only way you can handle a pkarc on UNIX or Amiga (or wherever) seems
>to be to use an enhanced version of SEA's arc.

As you imply, SEA has obsoleted its own program at least twice, each time
adding an incompatible new compression method.  No change in extension, no
ability to force compatibility....and why should those other systems be
hamstrung more than they have to be by limitations of old MSDOS code?

	[...]
>and Thom Henderson has given away lots of source code. I forget the
>names of PKware's other products and where to get source...

PKfind is one.  I use it instead of the braindamaged MSDOS search command.
As for source, let me go out on a limb by repeating what I've heard --
Katz's source IS available, it just isn't on Usenet; and it happens to be
MASM source, which is one reason it wouldn't be too likely to appear on a
net full of Unix/C fanatics.  (I've *heard* that ARC source is available,
too -- tell me that it really is and I'll have heard it another time,
without yet seeing it myself or caring to.)

>  Why don't we stop arguing about moral grounds here and concentrate on
>the legal issues; did pkarc take something from SEAware which is
>protected by law? If he did they he should pay. Given the behavior of
>the two companies, I believe that it's easy to identify one company
>which has taken the "let's make a few bucks from this neat thing," and
>one which has done some blatently commercial things. The court will
>decide, not the net.

The (computer-illiterate) court may not decide; it may well be settled
out of court by rapacious (computer-illiterate) lawyers.  It may even
be settled by the relative affordability of those lawyers' fees.

There are significant moral issues here, and I'm not sure either party has
the moral high ground, but I am mightily offended by the party that moved the
moral issues into the amoral arena of the legislative system.  To the extent
that computer users form any sort of community, the community will be
worse off for this.

--
bob,mon						(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
"In this position, the skier is flying in a complete stall..."