[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pocket modems

webb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Thomas Webb) (06/14/88)

Two comments:

	1. This is my first attmept at a listing -- sorry if I mess-up.

	2. I'm about 900 articles behind on this news group -- please
	   forgive me if this has already been dealt with.

Anyway, what I would like to know is if anyone has any thoughts that they
wouldn't mind sharing with me about pocket modems (ie. those portable
modems designed to plug into a RS232).  I'm especially interested in the
"Migent pocket modem"(tm) since it costs about $200 less than NEC's 2400
baud internal modem for their portable.  However, I'm having trouble find-
ing reviews of the modem, or even local vendors who have it.

						Thanks in advance,
								  Tom

webb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

edlee@chinet.UUCP (Edward Lee) (06/15/88)

I recently purchased a 1200 bps Everex Mini Modem.  It is the smallest
pocket modem I have ever seen, smaller than the Migent pocket modem, and
it actually fits in a normal shirt pocket.  Its dimensions are (from the
manual) 3-7/8" long x 2-3/8" wide x 15/16" thick, weighing 4.6 ounces.
It supports the AT command set and is Bell 103/212A and CCITT V.21/V.22
compatible.  It has three status lights for low battery, high speed, and
carrier detect.  It also has a built-in speaker and runs on a 9 volt
battery or 9 volt DC from a power adaptor.

I've tried using several different batteries with the Everex pocket
modem, and alkaline batteries like the Energizer seem to come out on
top, powering the modem for over 5 hours continuously.  I bought a
separate DB25 to 9 pin converter, and the Everex pocket modem is now
attached to a Toshiba 1100+ laptop and working well.  The modem came
with communications software, but it was on a 5.25" disk instead of a
3.5" disk, so I couldn't use it with the Toshiba laptop.

The list price of the modem was around $125.  I recently read of another
one with dimensions similar to the Everex pocket modem that retails at $100.

-Ed L

ta2@cup.portal.com (06/23/88)

I have a Touchbase Systems Worldport 2400. It's about the size of a
cigarette box, runs on 9 volt battery, external AC->DC adapter or
by feeeding 12volts in via one of the pins on the DB25. Supports
full AT command set, 300/1200/2400 baud. Front panel LED's for
low batt, high speed (2400), carrier, and call progress. Built in
piezo speaker that sounds fairly good (you can recognize the dial tone,
ring, and busy) RJ-11 jack mounted on the side, optional accoustic
coupler available.

Last fall (October '87?), Byte reviewed the Migent and the Worldport in their
(then) 1200 baud versions. You might want to check that out.

Tom

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (06/24/88)

In article <6792@cup.portal.com> ta2@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have a Touchbase Systems Worldport 2400. It's about the size of a
>cigarette box, runs on 9 volt battery, ...

Why do all these tiny modems need batteries?  I've got an old UDS
modem (not pocket-size) that derives its power from the phone line.
Can't these do that?
   Steve Ligett     steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard ihnp4 linus)!dartvax!steve.ligett