[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Vi for the PC/XT

nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) (06/21/88)

Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
to the IBM PC/XT?  If so I would dearly love to know, it would save me some
badly needed time.

                                          Blue Skies,

                                              Neil

                                                (Neil N. Peterson)

                                                    nnpeterson@cgl.waterloo.edu
                                                                                CSNET:  nnpeterson%watcgl@waterloo.CSNET
ARPA: nnpeterson%watcgl%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET: nnpeterson%watcgl%waterloo@csnet-relay.ARPA
OTHER: nnpeterson@cgl.waterloo.cdn

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (06/21/88)

In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
> Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
> to the IBM PC/XT?  If so I would dearly love to know, it would save me some
> badly needed time.

A few things:

	1) Mortice Kern Systems makes a thorough VI for the PC.  In fact, if
you're accustomed to the Unix environment, I'd suggest buying the entire MKS
Toolkit.  Not too expensive, and gives you almost everything you could want
to make you feel much more at home on the PC...  even a pretty good imitation
of the Korn Shell.
My only warnings: You will need a hard disk-- there's too many utilities to
fit comfortably on a floppy.  (Granted, you could collect the most commonly
used ones on one disk, but VI does a fair amount with temporary files, so
that would be slow too unless you had a ramdisk...
Also, on the PC (as opposed to an AT) VI is a little slow, as is command line
editing in the shell.

	2) There's a so-so VI imitation called "Z" included with most MANX
compilers.  VERY STRICTLY so-so imitation-- the simpler commands are there
but they left out a lot...

	3) Are you sure the Unix source for VI was posted recently? If so,
someone's in a whole lot of trouble when AT&T hears about it...

-Antonio Romero     romero@mirth.princeton.edu

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (06/22/88)

In article <2555@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
>> Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
>> to the IBM PC/XT?  If so I would dearly love to know, it would save me some
>> badly needed time.
>
>	3) Are you sure the Unix source for VI was posted recently? If so,
>someone's in a whole lot of trouble when AT&T hears about it...

I think what the original poster is referring to is a program called
"stevie", a (limited) vi-lookalike originally written for the Atari ST.
It was posted a few weeks ago to comp.sources.misc.

There are two other vi lookalikes with source code around:

1. Webb Miller, A Software Tools Sampler (Prentice Hall 1987) includes
   source code to an editor called "s", which is also available on a
   DOS diskette. Call Jim Fegen's office at P-H, (201)-592-2000, Ext. 3123,
   for ordering instructions.

2. Marc Rochkind has a book out, called something like "Portable C Programming
   for Displays"; don't know the publisher. It also includes source to a
   vi-like editor, and I would be surprised if it were not also available
   on disk, probably from Marc's company.

I agree with Antonio, however, that MKS' vi is probably your best bet
if you want a truly UNIX-compatible vi environment, especially since CSS'
and PC-VI's demise. The "Z" editor from Manx, at least the version floating
around the BBS, lacks most of the useful ex commands (like substitute, etc.).
I'm also still not sure that it is really kosher -- I have seen no statement
from MANX to the effect that it is PD or shareware.

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (06/22/88)

In article <122@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> In article <2555@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
> >In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
> >> Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted recently)
> >> to the IBM PC/XT?
> The "Z" editor from Manx, at least the version floating
> around the BBS, lacks most of the useful ex commands (like substitute, etc.).
> I'm also still not sure that it is really kosher -- I have seen no statement
> from MANX to the effect that it is PD or shareware.
> Wolf

I seem to remember this came up some time ago in this group, and the
answer was that Z was ABSOLUTELY NOT PD. If you have an illegal copy,
erase it immediately or we'll send the Software Police... :-)

But seriously, I wouldn't pick up Z as a VI clone, even if it was
legally free...  it's too small a subset to be useful.  If you're really
strapped for cash, consider that MKS will sell VI on it own, with a few
other little utilities thrown in, for considerably less than the rest
of the Toolkit. (Don't recall the exact price, but something like $69?
Gerry Wheeler, can you supply firm information?)

-Antonio Romero      romero@confidence.princeton.edu

sytek@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Mike Ewan) (06/23/88)

In article <2555@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
>> Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
>> to the IBM PC/XT?  If so I would dearly love to know, it would save me some
>> badly needed time.
>
>A few things: [...]
>
>	3) Are you sure the Unix source for VI was posted recently? If so,
>someone's in a whole lot of trouble when AT&T hears about it...
>
>-Antonio Romero     romero@mirth.princeton.edu

Actually the Vi source in question was a PD Vi clone for the Atari ST and
OS/2, not the original Unix source.  Also I think Vi is copyright by UCB not
AT&T since Vi originally showed up in Berkeley's extensions to V7.

----
    Michael Ewan                  decvax-----\
    (503)627-6468                 hplabs------>----!tektronix!nesa!raven!mike
    mike@raven.TELCOM.TEK.COM     ucbvax-----/

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (06/25/88)

In article <2557@mind.UUCP>, romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
> I wouldn't pick up Z as a VI clone, even if it was
> legally free. Consider that MKS will sell VI on it own, with a few
> other little utilities thrown in, for considerably less than the rest
> of the Toolkit. (Don't recall the exact price, but something like $69?
> Gerry Wheeler, can you supply firm information?)

Our vi package, which is a subset of our Toolkit, containts vi, crypt,
ctags, fg (to recall vi after putting it to sleep), fmt, glob (wildcard
expander), jobs (to see how many sleeping vi's there are), sort, and
switch (to change DOS switch character) for $75 US.  Seems like a good
deal to me, but I may be biased.  :-)

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

steve@aardvark.UUCP (Steve Willoughby) (06/25/88)

In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu> nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
>Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
>to the IBM PC/XT?  If so I would dearly love to know, it would save me some
>badly needed time.

Check out a program called PC/VI from Custom Software Systems (P.O. Box 678;
Natick, MA.  01760; 617-653-2555).  I've been using the editor for a few months
and as far as I can tell, it seems to be _identical_ to the Unix "vi" program.
[I have no connection with Custom Software Systems, except as a satisfied
customer.]

I got it through a mail-order ad in some random computer magazine.  The price
is not too bad for what you get.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Steve Willoughby                       ihnp4!tektronix!tessi!aardvark!steve

kinmonthprep@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000007891;410;465;401;) (06/25/88)

In article <481@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>In article <2557@mind.UUCP>, romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>Our vi package, which is a subset of our Toolkit, containts vi, crypt,
>switch (to change DOS switch character) for $75 US.  Seems like a good
>deal to me, but I may be biased.  :-)

Damn good deal in my experience!

pattib@omepd (Patti Beadles) (06/28/88)

Ok, already.  I'm tired of hearing how wonderful the MKS tools are.
Can someone please give me their address and phone number so that
we can go about ordering a few copies?

--
...tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!pattib	or
...tektronix!teksce!bucket!patti