[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Posting UNIX

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (06/22/88)

< If you lined all the news readers up end-to-end, they'd be easier to shoot. >

In article <4943@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, nnpeterson@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Neil N. Peterson) writes:
> Has anyone out there ported the unix source for Vi (posted a short while ago)
> to the IBM PC/XT?

The source to the vi screen editor is copywritten material.  AT&T
licenses this source code to various companies and universities, but
this license does *not* allow further distribution.  Anyone posting or
otherwise giving the source to anyone not covered by their
organization's license is in a lot of trouble personally, and has just
gotten his or her organization into a lot of trouble.  Ditto for anyone
who takes the source, ports it to another environment, and distributes
the result without working things out with AT&T.

< ENTER DISCLAIMER MODE >

It's my understanding that Custom Software Systems' PC/VI was a port
from AT&T source code.  They were passing off AT&T's program as if it
were their own.  The disagreement between CSS and AT&T was based on
license and copyright violation, *not* look and feel.  I believe that
Mortice Kern Systems' MKS/VI is a reimplementation, not a port.  AT&T
has taken no stand on this; but then, taking no stand is taking a
stand, too, right?

Look, there are people who think that all software should be freely
distributed.  They're acting responsibly on that belief (writing lots
of potentially useful software, with the only restriction being you
can't restrict further distribution).

Then there are people who think that software should be a business you
can make a profit off of.  They provide value for the money, or they
don't last in the marketplace.  AT&T is in this category.  AT&T has put
lots of resources into the UNIX operating system, and is putting even
more in now.  As a result, AT&T (by the current laws in effect)
deserves compensation for their effort.

Then there are people who think that software should be distributed
freely (especially to themselves), no matter who developed it or has
legal rights to it.  I have nothing polite to say about such people.

Yes, at one point, the Regents of the University of California had the
rights to the vi source code.  One, they don't any longer, for whatever
reason.  Two, would you really feel better ripping off UC?

< LEAVE DISCLAIMER MODE >

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.
Some of the above opinions reflect those of my employer.
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (06/24/88)

In article <1382@lznv.ATT.COM>, psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
> < If you lined all the news readers up end-to-end, they'd be easier to shoot.

> Mortice Kern Systems' MKS/VI is a reimplementation, not a port.  AT&T
> has taken no stand on this; but then, taking no stand is taking a
> stand, too, right?

About that "taking no stand is taking a stand too" business:
Well, actually, I think this may not be the case.
I thought I heard somewhere that IBM is now, after all these years, talking
about trying to extract some kind of licensing fees or penalties from
everyone who ever cloned an IBM PC.  Despite having said nothing for years,
the theory is that they may well be within their rights in doing so (I happen
to think they're not, what the hell do I know, I'm no lawyer).
I seem to remember reading this about a month ago.  I don't recall the
details; can someone back me up on this, or did I just dream it?

-Antonio Romero    romero@confusion.princeton.edu

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (06/27/88)

to which Paul S. R. Chisholm in article <1382@lznv.ATT.COM> replies:

> The source to the vi screen editor is copywritten material.

I think Mr. Peterson meant the Public Domain Vi clone "Stevie" that was
posted to comp.sources.unix a few weeks ago when he mentioned "Vi".

In article <244@pvab.UUCP>, Robert Claeson (that's me) writes:

> I think Mr. Peterson meant the Public Domain Vi clone "Stevie" that was
> posted to comp.sources.unix a few weeks ago when he mentioned "Vi".

I made a typo on this. The stevie source was posted to comp.sources.misc,
not comp.sources.unix.

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (06/28/88)

In article <2561@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>In article <1382@lznv.ATT.COM>, psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>> Mortice Kern Systems' MKS/VI is a reimplementation, not a port.  AT&T
>> has taken no stand on this; but then, taking no stand is taking a
>> stand, too, right?

>I thought I heard somewhere that IBM is now, after all these years, talking
>about trying to extract some kind of licensing fees or penalties from
>everyone who ever cloned an IBM PC.  Despite having said nothing for years,
>the theory is that they may well be within their rights in doing so (I happen
>to think they're not, what the hell do I know, I'm no lawyer).
>I seem to remember reading this about a month ago.  I don't recall the
>details; can someone back me up on this, or did I just dream it?

IBM has asserted that it intends to collect 5%-of-revenues royalty from
clone makers who have used IBM patents without liscense to do so.  Now I'm
no lawyer, judge or court, but there is a legal doctrine called "laches"
which may mitigate such claims.  The term refers to negligence or delay in
asserting a legal claim.  Whether or not laches will permit a clone maker
with an x-wing fighter legal budget to defeat IBM's Imperial Star Cruiser
legal department is another matter.

regards, Larry

--
Who: Larry A. Shurr (cbosgd!osu-cis!apr!las or try {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbcp1!las)
What: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/28/88)

IBM has been *SAYING* for quite some time that they intend to protect
their intellectual property rights, and telling people not to do so.

What they haven't been doing, until now, is demanding and suing.

But IBM is not a clever company, and they have covered their ass.  The
people who did violate IBM patents and copyrights did so by taking a
gamble that they wouldn't be sued, and so far they were winning.

So far, but that's business.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473