[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Information Wanted on PC-1

brentn@iisat.UUCP (Brent Newsome) (06/15/88)

I desperately need any information that I can get on IBM's PC-1 computer.
I have the "oppurtunity" of working/teaching with these machines this summer
and would like some information.  I am not familiar with the configuration I
will have so could you answer the following questions:

		A) How old is it?
		B) How much memory will it hold maximum / minimum
		C) Does it support graphics/color
		D) What opertating system does it use DOS/CPM
		E) Does anyone have software for it.
			I am looking for software suitable for 9-12 year olds
			that would deal basically with computer literacy and
			not be too difficult to learn as the computers are
			being used in a Boy Scout Camp.  Anyone having Scout
			software (Cub Scout aswell) could you leave me a note.
		F) Will it support an IBM PC RS232 card and a 300 baud modem
			Does anyone have communications software BBS/Other
			that will run on it?
		G) Anything else techy/non techy that you can tell me.  Please
			no flames!

Please reply by Email or if necessary in the notice area.  I need answers
as soon as is possible so HASTE POST HASTE.

Yours (ladady da),

--
Brent Newsome		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brentn

cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) (06/17/88)

In article <59@iisat.UUCP> brentn@iisat.UUCP (Brent Newsome) writes:
>I desperately need any information that I can get on IBM's PC-1 computer.
>
>		B) How much memory will it hold maximum / minimum
There are two motherboards.  The revision A (the original one) could only
hold 64k.  Revision B can hold up to 256k.  But regardless of the motherboard,
the machine can be expanded with cards up to 640k.  I suppose the minimum
configuration is 64k since I never heard of any machine with less than this.
>		C) Does it support graphics/color
If it has a video board installed that supports graphics or color.  Some
PC's have monochrome cards installed that will support only monochrome text.
>		D) What opertating system does it use DOS/CPM
MS DOS from microsoft is the standard operating system.
>		F) Will it support an IBM PC RS232 card and a 300 baud modem
Yes.
>			Does anyone have communications software BBS/Other
>			that will run on it?
You can get ProComm, a shareware communications package that is very good.
--
Jon Sweedler   =====   National Semiconductor (Israel)
UUCP:   {ames!amdahl,ihnp4!hplabs,sun,decwrl}!nsc!taux01!cjosta

ohst-ag@garnet.berkeley.edu (06/18/88)

In article <745@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) writes:
>In article <59@iisat.UUCP> brentn@iisat.UUCP (Brent Newsome) writes:
>>I desperately need any information that I can get on IBM's PC-1 computer.
>>
>>		B) How much memory will it hold maximum / minimum
>There are two motherboards.  The revision A (the original one) could only
>hold 64k.  Revision B can hold up to 256k.  But regardless of the motherboard,
>the machine can be expanded with cards up to 640k.  I suppose the minimum
>configuration is 64k since I never heard of any machine with less than this.

One important exception: some of the OLD PC-1s with the 64K motherboard also
have a very old BIOS that will allow DOS to address only 544K of RAM.  I
happen to own one of these little gems and have never bothered to replace
the BIOS to get up to 640.

Timothy Moy
ohst-ag@garnet.berkeley.edu

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (06/18/88)

In article <745@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) writes:
>In article <59@iisat.UUCP> brentn@iisat.UUCP (Brent Newsome) writes:
>>I desperately need any information that I can get on IBM's PC-1 computer.
>>		D) What opertating system does it use DOS/CPM
>MS DOS from microsoft is the standard operating system.

Absolutely true.

On the other hand, if you need to do some CP/M-80 development, this may
still be the system for you.

The V20 normally executes 8088 instructions and indeed the V20 plugs
directly into an 8088 socket with no problems (executing slightly
faster, by the way).  But with a special instruction, the V20 can be
made to execute 8080 instructions.

I know of an entire 8080/Z80 development that was done on a standard
set of PCs using this mechanism.  They replaced the 8080s with NEC V20s
and used a Shareware program called V2080 to allow them to run CP/M
utilities under it.

Instead of fighting over the single SBC prototype to compile and debug,
they were able to run a CP/M-80 c compiler and do unit testing from their
desks using their PCs.  Quite a productivity increase.

E-mail me if you want a copy of V2080.  I think I can dig it up.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (06/28/88)

In article <11057@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ohst-ag@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:

>One important exception: some of the OLD PC-1s with the 64K motherboard also
>have a very old BIOS that will allow DOS to address only 544K of RAM.  I
>happen to own one of these little gems and have never bothered to replace
>the BIOS to get up to 640.

And now, you may never be able to, since IBM discontinued the ROM BIOS
upgrades almost a year ago. Of course, I suppose you could upgrade it with
a clone BIOS, but somehow, I think the compatibility loss from doing that
would be worse than just surviving without the extra memory...
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{argus,mtune}!smforest!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>