[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Memory problems in turbo mode while saving to hard-disk

beugel@cs.vu.nl (Beugel BJ) (06/28/88)

Hello,

A while back I posted an article in which I asked for some advise on
the following problem:

My XT clone hangs during large file transfers to my hard-disk while
saving files in WordPerfect or archiving/extracting files with PK(X)ARC.
This only happens in turbo mode, i.e. when my XT runs at 8 MHz.
It seems to be a memory problem since sometimes I get the message
"PARITY CHECK (S) 200000".

My XT has an 8 MHz V20, a 65 msec Tandon hard disk and 640 K,
150 nsec memory.

Four people answered to my question for which I am very grateful. Thank
you all very much indeed.
All four of them had different suggestion that I will summarise below.

1. Exchange your V20 for a real 8088.
   I tried that without succes.
2. Lock your system in turbo mode with a hardware jumper.
   That didn't work either.
3. Buy faster memory chips.
   Too expensive for the moment.
4. Disable the parity check hardware.
   Very ingenious but unfortunately it didn't work.
5. Change a resistor pack.
   I'd like to if I knew which.

The message about the resistor pack is given below.

>Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 12:42:25 CDT
>From: Dale Frye <wucs1!dale@mcvax.cwi.nl>
>To: beugel@cs.vu.nl
>Subject: Re: Problem with disk I/O in turbo mode
>News-Path: uunet!mcvax!botter!klipper.cs.vu.nl!beugel
>
>I had a similar problem with an IMS machine. Your machine may have the
>same motherboard.  Luckily I found the problem the day it was recieved.
>I sent it back to the seller. They said the problem was that a resistor
>pack on the motherboard was the wrong value.  The machine has worked fine
>since they returned it. (about a month)
>
>The problem appeared in high speed mode (10mHz) only with the following
>programs.  All the programs worked fine in low speed mode.
>
>PKXARC - uncrunch a file
>MIRROR - part of PCTOOLS
>RAMTEST - would fail on the second pass
>

>Dale Frye @ Washington University in St. Louis

Dale Frey's problem sounds a lot like mine. Therefor I would very
much like to know which resistor pack he is talking about and what the
right value is.

Any other suggestions are also welcome of course.

Please mail any answers rather then posting them. I will summarise.
(I ask people to mail, not because I am too lazy to read this news-
group but because it is explicitly suggested in the newsgroup
"news.announce.newusers". Maybe all those people complaining about
mailing answers should read it sometime.)

Thank you very much in advance.

Berend Jan Beugel (beugel@cs.vu.nl  via mcvax).

This is just a redundant line.