[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What to do about binaries

jgray@toad.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (07/02/88)

In article <3355@bsu-cs.UUCP>, pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:

> All I do is watch these groups (and comp.sys.ibm.pc) and collect the
> binaries.  But I want to put my $.02 worth in.  Binaries are MINOR net hogs.
> I don't argue this.  I personally get upset when things like PICNIX (and
> update) get dumped on the system often.  It makes more work for me, and the
> last version came across our site with a corruption.
>
> BUT before you go condemning binaries as a group, look at a couple of facts.
	Many words on waste elsewhere deleted

> All I'm saying is that the gripers should be looking in ALL places for
> waste, not just (apparently) trying to single out comp.binaries.

I'd like to give this man a pat on the back. Seems to me that far too many
people are tend to loose their perspective on things like this. Though I
aggree with some points made against shareware I don't aggree with slamming
the binaries groups because of net bandwidth.

I took a snapshot of the stuff on our system news directories which I will
include for the sake of those who have spouted an opinion without bothering
to look at thier own net traffic. I will qualify this stuff with the
general question of whether or not other people on the net see similar levels
of traffic. By the way, I understand that articles under the "comp" topics
have a longer lifetime on our system than the other newsgroups.
This info was generated with the "du" command and many of the really tiny
non-"comp" group stuff was deleted.

Kbytes				    Kbytes

2050	soc			    278	    comp/binaries/ibm
1280	sci			    44	    comp/binaries/apple2
1750	talk			    2517    comp/binaries
1365	misc			    454	    comp/protocols
98	comp/misc		    6	    comp/compilers
586	comp/sys/ibm		    93	    comp/risks
10	comp/sys/nsc		    3	    comp/newprod
200	comp/sys/atari		    9	    comp/doc
52	comp/sys/hp		    10	    comp/society
232	comp/sys/apple		    21	    comp/fonts
714	comp/sys/amiga		    104	    comp/software-eng
802	comp/sys/mac		    1	    comp/theory
230	comp/sys/att		    1	    comp/ivideodisc
3	comp/sys/ti		    71	    comp/parallel
19	comp/sys/misc		    20	    comp/simulation
24	comp/sys/cbm		    14982   comp
14	comp/sys/m6809		    34	    rec/misc
13	comp/sys/tandy		    411	    rec/autos
11	comp/sys/m68k		    971	    rec/music
11	comp/sys/intel		    2106    rec/arts
66	comp/sys/dec		    752	    rec/games
1	comp/sys/masscomp	    205	    rec/audio
1	comp/sys/sequent	    313	    rec/ham-radio
1	comp/sys/workstations	    511	    rec/humor
27	comp/sys/apollo		    47	    rec/photo
70	comp/sys/sun		    15	    rec/puzzles
5	comp/sys/pyramid	    642	    rec/sport
2	comp/sys/ridge		    105	    rec/video
1	comp/sys/celerity	    102	    rec/motorcycles
17	comp/sys/transputer	    204	    rec/food
40	comp/sys/zenith		    15	    rec/nude
3	comp/sys/xerox		    406	    rec/aviation
14	comp/sys/proteon	    112	    rec/bicycles
3	comp/sys/encore		    183	    rec/travel
16	comp/sys/sgi		    2	    rec/skydiving
1	comp/sys/tahoe		    63	    rec/pets
3180	comp/sys		    19	    rec/woodworking
1360	comp/unix		    12	    rec/birds
444	comp/ai			    22	    rec/boats
11	comp/cog-eng		    31	    rec/gardens
237	comp/text		    19	    rec/scuba
261	comp/arch		    17	    rec/railroad
709	comp/lang		    1	    rec/mag
209	comp/graphics		    67	    rec/guns
45	comp/os/cpm		    6	    rec/equestrian
451	comp/os/minix		    43	    rec/models
837	comp/os/vms		    31	    rec/folk-dancing
1363	comp/os			    7464    rec
746	comp/mail		    1410    news
1921	comp/sources		    34199   .
227	comp/emacs
48	comp/databases
31	comp/bugs
211	comp/dcom
40	comp/org
56	comp/periphs
73	comp/std
2	comp/lsi
14	comp/edu
423	comp/windows
723	comp/binaries/atari/st
723	comp/binaries/atari
822	comp/binaries/amiga
650	comp/binaries/mac
132	comp/binaries/ibm/pc/d
278	comp/binaries/ibm/pc

A few things worth noting.

All of the binaries make up about 7.4% of the total with only about 10% of
that (0.7% of the total) for the IBM-PC. Note that the dreaded MacIntosh
binaries are twice the size of the PC and the Amiga is even larger still
(strange considering the size of the relative computer populations).

Everything NOT under "news/comp/*" ammounts to about 56% of all network
traffic.

I propose that if we wan't to eliminate all of the useless (i.e. not
contributing to advancement of school or work) traffic, we get rid of
all of the non-computer related newsgroups. I submit for your approval that
to rant an rave about net bandwidth wasted on potentially usefull binaries
while saying nothing about postings on jokes, politics and religion indicates
a rather preverse set of priorities.

Flame me...... I don't care. I will just chuckle over the thought of someone
wasting yet more bandwidth to refute this. I've a notion that the truely
intelligent will remain silent anyway.

---------------
					Jerrold L. Gray

UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!jgray

USNAIL:	10525 Willows Road N.E. /C-46
	Redmond, Wa.  98052
	(206) 881 - 6444 x470

Telex:  15-2167

diblanch@sdrc.UUCP (Jeff Blanchet) (07/07/88)

> that (0.7% of the total) for the IBM-PC. Note that the dreaded MacIntosh
> binaries are twice the size of the PC and the Amiga is even larger still
> (strange considering the size of the relative computer populations).
>
> Everything NOT under "news/comp/*" ammounts to about 56% of all network
> traffic.
>
> I propose that if we wan't to eliminate all of the useless (i.e. not
> contributing to advancement of school or work) traffic, we get rid of
> all of the non-computer related newsgroups. I submit for your approval that
> to rant an rave about net bandwidth wasted on potentially usefull binaries
> while saying nothing about postings on jokes, politics and religion indicates
> a rather preverse set of priorities.
>
> Flame me...... I don't care. I will just chuckle over the thought of someone
> wasting yet more bandwidth to refute this. I've a notion that the truely
> intelligent will remain silent anyway.

I agree 100% with the above!!!!

It is ridiculous that everyone is complaining so much about this.
We could start saving alot of space by not arguing over this.
Let's just leave things the way the are.
If a site doesn't want binaries then don't get it!!!
You do not have to get everything!!

I hope that all of this stupid arguing ends soon.
I am tired of wading through so many articles to get to the ones I want to read.
Didn't we just do this not too long ago with binaries??
What will be next??

Jeff Blanchet
SDRC
Cincinnati Ohio                UUCP: uunet!sdrc!diblanch