[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NuBus

Frank_Hill@ankh.UUCP (Frank Hill) (07/03/88)

I heartily agree that the MCA buss should *NOT* be endorsed.  It is, in
my opinion, another attempt by the boys in BLUE to grab the industry and
hold on tight.  The TI NuBus, already adopted by Apple, would provide an
ideal buss architecture and allow the manufacture of boards with an
incredibly large potential market base....do it, please,  but HURRY
before my company has to bend to corporate pressure and by MCA!

--
 FidoNet : 369/6     the Eye of Osiris   -   305-973-1947  -     OPUS/UFGATE
 UUCP    : ...!{gatech!uflorida!novavax, hoptoad, umbio, attmail}!ankh

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (Phil Harbison) (07/06/88)

In article <26.22CD76D1@ankh.UUCP>, Frank_Hill@ankh.UUCP (Frank Hill) writes:
> I heartily agree that the MCA buss should *NOT* be endorsed. ... The
> TI NuBus ... would provide an ideal buss architecture ...

I  fully agree with Frank.  I've designed cards for several busses (VME,
PC/AT,  Q-Bus,  MultiBus)  and  thoroughly researched most of the others
(except  FutureBus).  NuBus is clean, simple, and processor independent.
It  supports  automatic  configuration  with  features  like  geographic
addressing and identification PROMs.  NuBus uses distributed arbitration
and  directed interrupts, so there are no daisy-chain signals.  The only
centralized  services  are the reset and clock logic, and there are ways
to  distribute  even  those resources.  NuBus uses a multiplexed, 32-bit
address  and  data bus, with maximum bandwidth of 37.5 MegaBytes/second.
The data bus is unjustified, so there is no need for byte swapping logic
except  on  the  CPU  card,  where  it  belongs.   Nubus also provides a
"try-again-later"  response  to  a memory cycle, making it easy to build
adapters to other busses, or implement cache coherency schemes.

The  new  form  factor  used  in  the MacII (4.0" by 12.8"), is slightly
smaller  than  the  size  of the AT-bus cards (4.8" by 13.12").  Systems
built  around  this  form factor could probably use the rash of existing
cheap  PC  enclosures.   If  the  386  PCs  use  NuBus, then third party
hardware vendors can build a single product for both markets.

NuBus uses the 96-pin DIN-41612 connectors, which are more reliable than
the  edge  connectors  used  on  the AT and the MCA.  Pin density is 1.5
times  that of the connector used in the AT, and about the same as those
used  in  the MCA.  The connector is located closer to the center of the
board  (about  3  inches  from  the  end), which should simplify printed
circuit  board  layout.   Routing is complicated when all the connectors
are on one end of the board, as in the AT.

By now you've probably figured out which bus is my favorite. :-)

aptr@ur-tut (The Wumpus) (07/07/88)

In article <26.22CD76D1@ankh.UUCP> Frank_Hill@ankh.UUCP (Frank Hill) writes:

>  The TI NuBus, already adopted by Apple, would provide an
>ideal buss architecture and allow the manufacture of boards with an
>incredibly large potential market base....

I can see it now.  IBM brings out a 80386 based machine using the
NuBus, a mouse, keyboard, two 3.5 inch drives, and a high resolution
color monitor.  What does Apple do?  It sues IBM over the
look-and-feel of the Mac II claiming that it was the first to
introduce a PC with a mouse, a keyboard, 2 3.5" drives, a color
monitor, and the NuBus, and that it holds the copyrights on all
machines with similar equipment :-)

Actually, I understand the reason that IBM moved to a new bus system,
but I still don't know why they had to create yet another standard.
There are many good bus systems that work for high speed computers
with multiprocessing capability.  Among these are such systems as the
NuBus, the VME Bus, and the MultiBus.

Another question that deserves consideration is why did IBM ever come
up with the orginal bus system in the PCs and the one in the AT.  At
the time of the PC's creation, there was already a very widely
accepted bus standard, the S-100 bus.  Even today, S-100 bus systems
can still be found.  When IBM introduced the AT bus, they completely
ignored the 16 bit bus developed by Olivetti.  The Olivetti bus system
for its M24 (AT&T 6300, Xerox 6064) kept the standard PC style 8-bit
bus, but extended it to a full 16 bits.  Olivetti also was the first
to tackle the problem of 16 bit writes to an 8bit bus.  They solved
the problem by sending data out in high order-low order format like it
is stored in code, IBM chose the other method.

So, am I really suprised that when it came time to move up to a better
bus system that IBM chose to once again to create their own system? No.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm