[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Intel Coprocessors for sale

tester@celerity.UUCP (tester) (07/06/88)

FOR SALE                       FOR SALE                         FOR SALE

Genuine Intel Coprocessors (is there any other?) Speed up Lotus 123,
AutoCAD, etc!

8087-3		$50

80287-6MHZ	$100

80287-8MHZ	$150

The 80287's are brand new, never been used and are still in the original box.
I think that the 8087 has never been used but it is not still in the original
box.

The 8087 is designed to work at 5MHZ.

I've been told that an 8MHZ coprocessor will work in a 10MHZ computer.

For the uninformed: the 8087 is designed to be used in an IBM PC/XT or
PS/2 models 25 and 30 and compatibles.  The 80287's are designed for use
in IBM AT's, PS/2 model 50 and 60 and compatibles.

Please send mail to (in order of preference)

ARPA:				UUCP:
ee52albh@sdcc5.ucsd.edu		[backbone] !sdcsvax!sdcc5!ee52albh
pro-sol!dennis@crash.cts.com	[backbone] !sdcsvax!crash!pro-sol!dennis
daf@shipit.celerity.uucp	[backbone] !sdcsvax!celerity!shipit!daf

or call Dennis at (619) 535-0655

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/07/88)

< "Would you buy a used operating system from these guys?" >

In article <143@celerity.UUCP>, tester@celerity.UUCP (tester) writes:
> FOR SALE                       FOR SALE                         FOR SALE
> 8087-3		$50
> The 8087 is designed to work at 5MHZ.
> For the uninformed: the 8087 is designed to be used in an IBM PC/XT or
> PS/2 models 25 and 30 and compatibles.

(PS/2-25 compatibles?-)

Um, no.  For a system with an 8 MHz 8088 or 8086 (e.g., AT&T PC 6300,
original Compaq Deskpro, IBM PS/2 Models 25 and 30), you want an 8 MHz
8087-2.  The 5 MHz 8087-3 is suitable for 4.77 MHz machines (PC and XT
compatibles).  That's a good price for an 8087-3, but if it doesn't
work reliably in your (8 MHz) system, it's no bargain at any price.

No, I *don't* know what speed a 8087-1 runs at.

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (07/08/88)

In article <1400@lznv.ATT.COM>, psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

> No, I *don't* know what speed a 8087-1 runs at.

OK - last time. (Gee, I sound like an anti-drug commercial)

8087 (no dash) 5 Mhz
8087 - 1      10 Mhz
8087 - 2       8 Mhz
8087 - 3       5 Mhz

and yes, you can usually push an 80287 up one notch (8 Mhz in 10 Mhz
machine).  With a heat sink you can sometimes go even further but you
risk losing data, accuracy, and the co-processor chip.

Hope this helps.
--
Charles Lord           cjl@ecsvax.UUCP    Usenet
Cary, NC               cjl@ecsvax.BITNET  Bitnet

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (07/09/88)

In article <1400@lznv.ATT.COM> psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>< "Would you buy a used operating system from these guys?" >
>Um, no.  For a system with an 8 MHz 8088 or 8086 (e.g., AT&T PC 6300,
>original Compaq Deskpro, IBM PS/2 Models 25 and 30), you want an 8 MHz
>8087-2.  The 5 MHz 8087-3 is suitable for 4.77 MHz machines (PC and XT
>compatibles).  That's a good price for an 8087-3, but if it doesn't
>work reliably in your (8 MHz) system, it's no bargain at any price.
>
>No, I *don't* know what speed a 8087-1 runs at.
>
>-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc

The 8087-1 was a brain-damaged Intel Math Coprocessor which was 5 MHz.
Also, doesn't the math co-processor run at one-third the boards crystal
speed.  I know that the cpu runs at half the crystal speed on an AT.

/ken

Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Kermit Distribution                          SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET
Columbia University Center for               ..!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!suh
  Computing Activities
612 West 115th Street
New York, NY 10025

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/09/88)

In article <5371@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) writes:
}and yes, you can usually push an 80287 up one notch (8 Mhz in 10 Mhz
}machine).  With a heat sink you can sometimes go even further but you
}risk losing data, accuracy, and the co-processor chip.

Most ATs and AT clones run the coprocessor at 2/3 the speed of the CPU, thus
a 12 MHz machine runs the 287 at 8Mhz.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31