[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ProcommPlus 1.1A update won't autodial for me

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (07/12/88)

    I had a similar problem when switching from PCPLus 1.0 to 1.1. I found
that once I put &C1&D2 in my modem's non-volatile RAM it worked fine. If your
modem is similar to mine (I have a Mitac 2400) then you should be able to do
the same thing.
                                                      ...Art

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (07/13/88)

In article <3190@crash.cts.com>, artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>     I had a similar problem when switching from PCPLus 1.0 to 1.1. I found
> that once I put &C1&D2 in my modem's non-volatile RAM it worked fine. If your
> modem is similar to mine (I have a Mitac 2400) then you should be able to do
> the same thing.
>                                                       ...Art

Just spoke with Datastorm, and they made the same suggestion.
Now ProcommPlus v. 1.1a seems to dial for me as well.  Magic....

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/13/88)

In article <5390@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
}Just spoke with Datastorm, and they made the same suggestion.
}Now ProcommPlus v. 1.1a seems to dial for me as well.  Magic....

Not magic, just setting up the handshaking properly.  &C1 tells the modem to
assert CD only when connected to another modem, and &D2 tells it to hang up
when DTR is dropped.  Many comm programs require CD to reflect the actual
presence of a carrier (ProComm 2.4.2 didn't in terminal mode, but DID in host
mode...), and most use DTR to hang up the modem.

I suspect that ProComm+ v1.1a will only autodial when CD is false, so if the
modem was setup to force CD true, PC+ wouldn't be able to dial.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31