[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seagate ST4038 AT drive is a "Dead

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/13/88)

An ST-251 will work, but it isn't as good a drive as the ST4038.  I'm
not familiar with the symptom "going south", but if you can be more
explicit, I might be able to help more.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/15/88)

In article <16800326@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>An ST-251 will work, but it isn't as good a drive as the ST4038.  I'm
>not familiar with the symptom "going south", but if you can be more
>explicit, I might be able to help more.

I disagree.

Having had three ST4051's here, a couple of 4038's, as well as selling the
ST251 series (both 251-0 and 251-1), here's our record:

o 2 ST4051's	- One dead within 6 months of purchase
		  Second died two months later
		  REPLACEMENT for #1 lasted one week.
		  -- End of ST4051's! --

o 2 ST4038's	- Both died; one has been refurbished and is working
		  ok as of this time...  Second was scrapped.

o 1 ST4096	- Is now giving intermittent recalibrates (once a day
		  or so without warning).  It'll probably fail within a
		  couple of months.  This unit is 6 months old.

o ~ 25 ST251's  - A single bad unit.  All the remainder are in daily use
		  at our customer sites without a single failure.  These
		  drives date back over a year in many cases, and not a
		  single one has failed in the field.  The one dead unit
		  we had was DOA -- failed during burn-in here.  We use
		  these drives in UNIX and XENIX machines (as well as
		  DOS boxes) where they get the living bejessus beat out
		  of the stepper motors -- and we've never had a problem.

Note that newer ST251's are often the 28ms variety, although many are not
marked that way (they apparently failed 28ms by a millisecond or so and
are labelled as the 40ms units).  These are discernable by a different
stepper motor (visible from the outside) as well as a very distinct power-on
recalibrate sequence.

The ST4xxx series drives all seem to fail in the electronics department
rather than internals.... and it's usually heat related (ie: cold they work
fine, an hour later they fail after heating up to operating temperature).

If you're going to use a full-height Seagate, make darn sure you have plenty
of cool air flowing over the drive or it'll burn up and die.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"