[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SUN 386i and DOS window question.

pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul gilna) (07/01/88)

Does anyone with SUN 386i experience know to what extent (if any)
a user logged on using a VT100 can avail of the DOS side of things.
Obviously CGA display is out, but can one display purely textual
output?
cheers, paul gilna

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?

gas@ecsvax.UUCP (07/13/88)

In article <4409@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul  gilna) writes:
> Does anyone with SUN 386i experience know to what extent (if any)
> a user logged on using a VT100 can avail of the DOS side of things.
> Obviously CGA display is out, but can one display purely textual
> output?
> cheers, paul gilna

I will not swear to it, BUT I have seen someone sitting at a Sun 3/50
login to a 386i and begin a DOS session.  He could not doe anything
but text based commands, ie DIR, etc., but it was DOS in a window on
the 3/50 that was running on the 386i.  Therefore I would assume that
a VT100 could do the same, but TEXT ONLY.  For now anyway.  AGAIN,
don't take this as the absolute gospel truth.
     That 386i is a hot machine.
--
 Guerry A. Semones              BITNET: drogo@tucc.BITNET
 Information Services           USENET: gas@ecsvax.UUCP, semones@dukeac.UUCP

ljg@cfi.COM (ljg) (07/15/88)

In article <4409@sphinx.uchicago.edu> pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul  gilna) writes:
>Does anyone with SUN 386i experience know to what extent (if any)
>a user logged on using a VT100 can avail of the DOS side of things.
>Obviously CGA display is out, but can one display purely textual
>output?

You can invoke any dos command that does not require a "DOS Window" (ie.
just gives text output) by giving the command 'dos -w <dos command>'. The
output goes to stdout and you can use shell redirection or pipes on it. I'm not
sure about input, though...

- Lowell