[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding 3.5" Floppy,

beckman@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (07/07/88)

I have an AT-clone and want to add a 3.5" floppy, I currently have a
30 meg hard disk, 1.2 meg floppy, and 360k floppy on a WD controller.

How do I add a 720K or 1.4Meg 3.5" floppy? (I need PS/model 50 compatibility)

Please give me a hand.

beckman@bacs.silver.indiana.edu

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (07/12/88)

>/* ---------- "Adding 3.5" Floppy, (Need Help)" ---------- */
>
>I have an AT-clone and want to add a 3.5" floppy, I currently have a
>30 meg hard disk, 1.2 meg floppy, and 360k floppy on a WD controller.
>
>How do I add a 720K or 1.4Meg 3.5" floppy? (I need PS/model 50 compatibility)
>
>Please give me a hand.

I don't know if this is the solution you were looking for, but I have seen
(BUT HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH) a controller made by:

	Turn Point America
	(702)786-4484

called a "super multi i/o".  FD controller for 360k => 1.44M & 1 (2nd opt)
serial, 1 parallel + 1 game ports, all for around $100.

P.S.
I have been wanting to do the same thing for a while, but I was led to believe
that the 3.5" disks are muck slower than the 5.25".  Can anyone out there tell
me for sure ... and possibly explain why ... thanks

leo hinds
{mit-eddie}hcx1!hardy!ldh

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (07/14/88)

In article <47200008@hcx1> ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

>>/* ---------- "Adding 3.5" Floppy, (Need Help)" ---------- */
>>
>>I have an AT-clone and want to add a 3.5" floppy, I currently have a
>>30 meg hard disk, 1.2 meg floppy, and 360k floppy on a WD controller.
>>
>>How do I add a 720K or 1.4Meg 3.5" floppy? (I need PS/model 50 compatibility)
>>
>>Please give me a hand.
>>
>I don't know if this is the solution you were looking for, but I have seen
>(BUT HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH) a controller made by:
>
>	[more about this controller]
>
>P.S.
>I have been wanting to do the same thing for a while, but I was led to believe
>that the 3.5" disks are muck slower than the 5.25".  Can anyone out there tell
>me for sure ... and possibly explain why ... thanks

A 3.5 inch floppy can be added to any AT clone's original controller
(provided it now supports a 1.2 Mb. drive).  Either the 720 Kb or 1.44 Mb
capacities can be used with, I think, equal success.  Depending on the age
of your clone, you may need to use a driver to obtain full capacity from
the drive.  I have added a Toshiba 1.44 Mb floppy drive, with the drivers
necessary for compatibility with my old AT clone, and I'm pretty happy with
it.

Some caveats:  It is a little slower than the 1.2 Mb drive; perhaps 50%
slower.  I can't format on the thing when I am running at high speed, or
when one of my TSRs (I can't remember which) is loaded.

I bought mine, at what seemed to be a good price, from:

fd Micro
144 Church Street, NW
Vienna, Va. 22180
(703) 281-0001

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (07/15/88)

3.5 inch floppies have the following general features:

720K formatted version:
----------------------

80 tracks/side
2 heads
160 tracks, both sides
@512bytes/sector, 8 or 9 sectors/track (9 for MSDOS)
250KBPS transfer rate -- same as 5" 360K floppy
head step rates and settling times are generally faster than
5" floppies

1.44MB formatted version:
------------------------

80 tracks/side
2 heads
160 tracks, both sides
@512 bytes/sector, 16-18 sectors/track (18 for MSDOS)
500KBPS transfer ratte -- same as 5" 1.2MB floppy
head step rates and settling times are generally faster
than most 5" floppies

3.5" floppies shouldn't run slower than their 5" counterpart if
the same device driver is used for both.  With a different driver
there may be built-in step/settle delays or other code differences
that inflict a noticeable speed difference, at least when doing
simple single file or directory listings or even formatting.

SMW